PDA

View Full Version : Introductions I I- Your first post on this board goes here. (CLOSED)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-11-2006, 05:56
Welcome aboard Todd.

M Atwood
11-11-2006, 17:36
Gentlemen, first of all thank you for this forum, it is an invaluable resource. I’ve been lurking for awhile and have learned a great deal. The amount of knowledge shared here is fantastic and I am extremely grateful for the time and energy that has gone into posting it.
My name is Morgan, I’m 21 and currently a college student (undergrad Psych. Major). I’m currently licensed as an EMT, although not working in the field. I’m also a blacksmith and a knife-maker.
I took a year off from school (between end of summer semester ’05 and start of fall semester ’06) because of some family health issues, and ended up spending most of that time in deep thought about what I really want out of my life, and what I want to accomplish. The end decision was that, while pursuing my interests in psychology and neuroscience academically is very important, I’ve been chasing the edges of something since I was a teenager that if I don’t follow through with, I wont be living the life I really want. To that end, after I complete my B.S. (Bachelor of Science, not the other… as much as it seems like it sometimes), I plan on enlisting. Right now, I am focusing on school (have a bit more to go, only a sophomore) and my physical conditioning primarily.
I have learned a lot reading here, and found direction in furthering my learning about what I want to do, and preparing for it. I don’t think I’ll have too much to say, just keep on reading, but I figured it was time to introduce myself and say thank you.

Beach Bum
11-12-2006, 06:50
Good morning. My name is Dawn and my friend Goggles Pizano directed me to your sight some time ago. Lurking was enjoyable but I missed out on a great deal of information, so now I'm registered. Even though my work does not compare to combat medicine, I have found medical discussions fascinating and look forward to reading more! Thanks for the opportunity to join you. Dawn

msiewers
11-12-2006, 23:23
Hello, my name is Matt. I am 23 years old and a 96B. Right now I am trying to get an assisgnment in support of SF. I've been reading many of the threads here for a month or so and I thought I should introduce myself. I've read a lot of good information here and appreciate the information all of the QP's have put out there for myself and others like me that have aspirations of becoming SF soldiers.

Thank you for all you have done.

Bill Harsey
11-13-2006, 07:57
Lilly--

COL Rowe was my boss and was scheduled to be again before he was assassinated in the Philippines. He was personally responsible for getting me back into SF after a significant injury nearly ended my career. COL Rowe would be very grateful if he knew his book had had that effect on you. I'm glad you thought enough of him to mention that. All the best.

Welcome aboard Sir.

I never personally met COL Rowe but he is the man for whom I worked the hardest when I started down this path of work.

Cincinnatus
11-13-2006, 09:57
Welcome all.

Morgan,

Good to "see" you here.

(I know Morgan from other boards and he's done some work, very nice job, including making a trainer for me.)

LillyA
11-13-2006, 15:51
Lilly--

COL Rowe was my boss and was scheduled to be again before he was assassinated in the Philippines. He was personally responsible for getting me back into SF after a significant injury nearly ended my career. COL Rowe would be very grateful if he knew his book had had that effect on you. I'm glad you thought enough of him to mention that. All the best.

Sir,

It’s disturbing to me how people my age know what Paris Hilton had for breakfast, and yet they have no clue about real heroes like COL Rowe and so many others. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you.

LillyA
11-13-2006, 15:59
Uh yeah, me too.:confused:

Welcome aboard. LOL

LOL. Missed this before. Thanks for the welcome.

FTBC
11-14-2006, 09:32
Hello,

I'm a retired Navy Chief working for DOE in nuclear and radiological security. I enjoy reading and learning from any dedicated group of professionals and this board suports and represents some of the worlds best. I was never specops but I worked with a few and still do. A great bunch of people and it's my good fortune to know them. Thanks for the board.

mike-munich
11-14-2006, 09:43
Welcome to this great website Chief.

Far_Side
11-14-2006, 19:17
My name is John. I've been lurking here for about a month and decided to introduce myself today. I'm a 31 y/o male, no prior service, and married with 1 child. I've been using these forums for research into the REP63 program.

Thank you all for allowing folks like me access to this site and for making it the fantastic resource it is.

John

Noslack71
11-14-2006, 19:42
This is a re-introduction for me,so, I will start very slow and read much more than I will write for the time being.
I last posted on this site two years ago. I would like to thank you folks for allowing me back. I was a soldier once and find this site very comfortable and to my liking. I have been on a walk-about the last couple of years since they blew the bugle , I went looking for the elephant.
I have been following TS & TR's shooting threads with great interest, even though I hold an AARP card, I work very hard at remaining teachable.
Thank you folks for keeping the faith, I know it is not easy!

Shans84
11-22-2006, 11:30
Hi all, Thnx for allowing me to join this forum. I am currently stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C. and I have been in enlisted a little over two years now. If all goes well for me at SFAS when I go, I will be able to file in the ranks of "Quiet Professional". Right now I am just looking for good guidance on how life is on the other side and what I should do to prepare myself. Many of the forums have given me alot of info, especially the thread on the recommended reading.
Thanks again !

sfrecrutr
11-22-2006, 13:24
MSG Aaron Edwards, 20th SFG Accessions NCOIC. Been working with Gp for 12+ years providing information to possible SF Candidates and assisting with S1 Operations. Deployed with the unit to OEF 2002. I am here to assist with any questions regarding 20th SFG.

:lifter

The Reaper
11-22-2006, 13:28
Welcome aboard, MSG E.

Thanks for your efforts.

TR

Team Sergeant
11-22-2006, 13:31
Welcome aboard MSG Edwards. Let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you.

De Oppresso Liber,

Team Sergeant

CPTAUSRET
11-22-2006, 13:36
MSG Aaron Edwards, 20th SFG Accessions NCOIC. Been working with Gp for 12+ years providing information to possible SF Candidates and assisting with S1 Operations. Deployed with the unit to OEF 2002. I am here to assist with any questions regarding 20th SFG.

You may get a workout here!

Welcome aboard!:)

Loadsmasher
11-22-2006, 13:46

Thanks for all the work you and SGT Shedd did getting me out of the Air Force and into the 20th. I'm having a blast.

To all those looking for info this is the man to see. However, Do not barrage him with stupid questions. Read the stickies and use the search button. Don't waste his time, I know I'm not the only one on this board that owes him a dept of gratitude, and I'm very grateful.

Mako06
11-22-2006, 16:30
Hello to all. I found this site while researching information on SFAS. I would like to thank those who have made this valuable resource available for everyone to share. I am prior service U.S. Army and was proud to serve during OIF 2 in an outstanding infantry company from Hawaii. I look foward to learning from those who have served as or with the U.S. Army Special Forces.

Surgicalcric
11-22-2006, 16:46
MSG Aaron Edwards, 20th SFG Accessions NCOIC.

MSG E:

Glad to see you made it over here. If you look around you will see there are more than a handful of us here who you enlisted into 20th...

Crip

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2006, 18:20

Welcome aboard. All your Crip are belong to us.

The Reaper
11-22-2006, 19:26
MSG E:

Glad to see you made it over here. If you look around you will see there are more than a handful of us here who you enlisted into 20th...

Crip

Has he been in the Army that long?

I thought that E8s were QMPed at 28 years of service?

WOW!!:munchin

TR

lksteve
11-22-2006, 22:36
Has he been in the Army that long?

I thought that E8s were QMPed at 28 years of service?

cold...that is cold...:D

Matt....
11-23-2006, 04:52
Hello everyone. My name is Matt.... Thanks for having me. It is an honor to be amongst the best in America. I have been retired for several years, feeling kind-of rusty, and look forward to being member .

Thanks

Pete
11-23-2006, 05:37
Hey Matt;

Welcome. Didn't I see you at the SFA meeting along with SGM "Blaze" :D a while back.

Pete

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-23-2006, 06:25
Welcome aboard Matt

The Reaper
11-23-2006, 09:10
Hello everyone. My name is Matt.... Thanks for having me. It is an honor to be amongst the best in America. I have been retired for several years, feeling kind-of rusty, and look forward to being member .

Thanks

Matt:

Welcome aboard!

I thought you were still down in Colombia?

TR

x SF med
11-23-2006, 09:35

Thank you for sending us the Crip - an overused butt of many jokes, but a tenacious SOB who is going to be an asset to his team , if he graduates the Q prior to retirement.

B219
11-23-2006, 10:06
Respect to all here, both in regards to rank and experience. My interest is to listen and learn.
2/19SFG(A) 85-91

fiveptfive6
11-23-2006, 12:13
Morning all,

I've been an un-registered lurker here at PS for quite awhile now. During this time I've realized the professional, often times near-scholarly discussions available here are invaluable to even the most casual of visitors. The lessons I've learned just from reading these forums have helped me immensely throughout IET and Airborne, and would like to first of all extend my heartfelt gratification to all contemporary and former SF and other special operations personnel within the community here for taking the time so often to give us youngbloods a heads up on not only what to expect, but how to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for the tasks at hand. PS, from what I can tell, seems to also do an excellent job of displaying publicly what I understand (from my limited knowledge) SF to be all about. The members I see here are of a different breed most definitely. Intellectual, very proud, extremely capable and intelligent, quiet professionals. That's why I joined the Army, and the thought of one day joining the ranks of not only such highly skilled soldiers, but of such amazingly capable human beings, is the driving motivator behind my wanting to become Special Forces myself.

I've dreamt about being SF ever since I was a little boy. Ever since I can remember, actually. Of course when I was younger my visions of Special Forces were considerably unrealistic and in reality I had no clue what "Special Forces" was all about beyond what I had seen in John Wayne movies, action figures, and television. But as I grew older and got closer and closer to military age, the more I learned the more I fell in love with the idea of earning the right to join the SF team and be a member of the brotherhood that sometimes seems more sacred to me than my own family. I know that there's still a never ending amount left to learn, and a plethora of lessons to absorb, some of which I'm sure will be quite painful, but all of which I'm equally sure will be incredibly rewarding. I still wake up every day excited with what the day will bring, and promise myself that every day I'll go to sleep at night a better soldier than I was before, be it through some deep moral lesson, or even something as trivial as some random cultural tidbit. Obviously some days that’s more difficult to accomplish than others, but with a little more experience and practice, I see no reason why my personal goals can't be met each and every day.

Unfortunately, when I initially enlisted, I second-guessed myself. A trait, from what I understand, that is not very common in successful SF applicants. I felt that the 18X program wasn't for me, because I claimed I didn't feel "ready," and wanted to obtain some military experience before attempting to fulfill my dreams. Unfortunately, I do regret my decision to not go balls-to-the-wall as they say and make it happen regardless of being "ready" (something I don't think I'll ever be 100% of), but have not altered my level of determination, and still plan to do everything in my power to attend SFAS as soon as humanly possible. I see no reason to allow ambitions to sit idle for long periods of time.

I'm currently a 19 year old 11B PV2. I graduated Airborne School (D Co 1/507) two weeks ago, and obviously OSUT (E Co 2/58) three weeks prior. I'm the definition of fresh-fish, but I'm headed to PCS to my first duty station (Fort Carson) this Friday, and am looking forward to getting started with my professional career more than I've ever looked forward to anything in my lifetime. As I'm aware there is a fairly substantial SF presence in and around Carson, my sincere hope is that I will be able to glean even more practical knowledge from operators I meet on post, and that if possible I might be able to find myself a mentor of sorts, that might donate some time to help me prepare myself mentally and physically for the tasks at hand.

I do hope I didn't over-extend my introduction too drastically, and intend on continuing to absorb all the invaluable knowledge available here on a regular basis with the hopes of one day in the future being able to contribute myself as a proven member of the community.

Thank you again for your service, and the opportunity,
Always Driving On,
fiveptfive6

Matt....
11-23-2006, 19:22
Matt:

Welcome aboard!

I thought you were still down in Colombia?

TR

TR, I replied to your message in the private area. I am learning the system here otherwise I would have replied from here. TR, what is your name???

Matt....

gunnerjohn
11-23-2006, 21:39
Welcome all. Many great people here with knowledge galore.

Martin
11-24-2006, 10:30
Hello everyone!

It appears I have not posted an introduction yet, I am sorry about that. I did not realize this until now. At one time I described myself as a realistic perfectionist, that is a statement that needs to be modified. I am a learner throughout life, who strives to do well. I have been wrong many times in past posts. I often fail, but I will keep trying. I am shy, but see that as a small personal challenge.

After I asked TR questions about what languages to study in a PM on SOCNET, he invited me here.

During the course of my stay and the life I've lived while reading on Professional Soldiers, I have come to realize the limits of what I know and what subjects are the most interesting and intriguing. My interests are first and foremost conflict studies and computers. I study economics because it is an important part of society and I want to understand other perspectives. I also study Russian language, history and culture. The language is a beginner's course, since I need to brush up the memory and to have time for reading on the side, lately basics of strategic theory and COIN.

This year has been a confusing one, where I wrapped myself up in my own OODA cycle. It has been challenging, plus sad and fun and very teaching. I hope it has made me a better person, I know it has made me value a diverse range of other people more, including helping to mend relations with my family. This has also been helped by FS, who I work with on a long overdue homepage, who started the process of opening up to more than just closest friends.

I have greatly enjoyed the discussions here, and I hope to be able to contribute something again, and be corrected and learn where I do not have the answers or am wrong. However, I really need to take care of my commitments to school and FS first. Beyond that, I need to get serious with PT and set up a schedule.

Until recently, I have never asked for a mentor, because I have not wanted to take away any energy that could be better spent on the brave men, and women, sooner heading into harms way. There has been a small change since then.

There are many important parts of society that need to cooperate in general. There are in everyday life people who affect us directly or subtly, which we may or may not think of, yet without them things would be so much harder, and the machinery of society would not work. There are three groups of people whose impact on my small world in particular have meant everything:
Family, for always sharing love and letting me have a place to live and food to eat.
Friends, for always listening and forgiving and sharing laughter and joy.
And, you. Sure, there are other services whose work and sacrifice is far beyond anything I have ever accomplished. Special Forces, however, has always stood out in my mind as the epitome of professionalism, selfless service, and brotherhood of mutual respect.

That is what makes life worth living.

I like Sweden, I have lived here for many years. I have been in the USA for multiple months and have read about it and talked with your fellow citizens. I love it.

I can be pretty stupid, but do not mind joking about it, and continuously try to do better.

I want to become a US citizen and serve in some capacity. SF is high on the list, but I really need to think this through in order to focus better.

Thanks for allowing me around for so long, and, again, I am sorry for the failure to follow simple instructions.

Martin

HalveBlue
11-24-2006, 11:34
Hi all,

After several weeks of lurking I've decided to formally register. Great site; very informative.

For anyone that cares, I'm the Ceremonies NCOIC of Fort Carson. That's right, 100% pogue. But hey, somebody's gotta do it.

Anyway, thanks for putting up this website and making this great resource available to those looking for more information on SF.

-SGT Clermont

jwsievers
11-24-2006, 13:32
Good morning gentleman,
As an unregistered lurker I had come to the website many times in effort to retain as much information as possible before registering. This is my first post as a registered member... so here is goes. My name is Josh and I currently am a senior at Arizona State University. Upon graduation next year I plan on enlisting 18x and starting the life which I feel I was destined to live. I would just like to say thank you to all the members who take the time to inform all those interested. Your efforts have extremely beneficial to me, as well as so many others.

Gypsy
11-24-2006, 16:27
Welcome to everyone, to those of you who have or are serving you have my sincere thanks.

Nice to meet you, Martin. ;) Come to think of it, even though most everyone already knew me when I joined I do not believe I ever made a formal intro post...better late than never. :D

Civilian, female - 1 each. For the past 8 years I was a headhunter and always considered it a special privilege to offer my assistance, be it job search, interviewing guidance or resume restructuring, to those who have served our Country. Still do. Recently made a change and currently am employed in a sales role for a large electronics distributor. I am heavily involved with Military support and in October was appointed as the Family Readiness Group Leader for an Army NG Troop.

pegasus
11-24-2006, 17:17
Hi all.

Civilian female engineer working on defense stuff. I have been a member of adoptaplatoon for about 5 years and this summer joined team-in-training.

Deepest thanks to all those past and present for their selfless dedication to preserve our Freedom.

Thanks for the site.

A.

Matta mile
11-24-2006, 18:25
Wecome all!
Nice to have you.
MM

lksteve
11-24-2006, 18:36
Civilian female engineer working on defense stuff. welcome and a belated HBD...

H2H
11-24-2006, 23:39
Hello,

Just recently I was made aware of this forum, and looking around at some of the topics, I am really glad to be here.

I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, going after the Brown Belt very soon. I coach and run a MMA and BJJ team here on Bragg, Team Combat MMA, and we compete each month in Cage events and BJJ events around the East Coast area. I am also lucky enough to have the opportunity to train with Team ROC here in Fayetteville, NC.

I am a Level IV in Modern Army Combatives and the NCOIC of Modern Army Combatives for the 82nd Airborne Division. After returning home from Afghanistan this March, on our first jump, I dislocated my leg on a hard landing. I was on my way to SFAS just 3 weeks after that jump, but not being at 100%, I was forced to put things off for about 6 months. I took the position at Divison, and have been there since March, looking forward to early 07 for SFAS.

In my current position, I train, and I train with many great individuals from the Army and Navy Spec Ops community. The professionalism that I have enjoyed while being around them, has even more enforced my drive to make the jump to that side of the house.

Thanks again,

Jeff

vsvo
11-25-2006, 16:44
Hi!

I'm Steve, a civilian from Arlington, just across the Potomac from Washington, D.C. I co-own and run a small business, and I go to school at night. I apologize that this is not my first post, hopefully it's never too late to make things right!

x SF med
11-25-2006, 16:49
Hi!

I'm Steve, a civilian from Arlington, just across the Potomac from Washington, D.C. I co-own and run a small business, and I go to school at night. I apologize that this is not my first post, hopefully it's never too late to make things right!

Not your first post? You're kidding, right? ;) I don't know, we may have to hold a QP conference and see what we're going to do to you.....:D

pegasus
11-25-2006, 20:59
welcome and a belated HBD...

Thank You.

Swiftrunner
11-25-2006, 23:25
Hello gentlemen

I am a medic currently deployed at this time. I have been stationed in Fort Bragg for 4 years now. I have been quietly reading and learning from this site for about 2 weeks now.

Excellent site and the conversations are great food for thought. I would appreciate the opportunity to remain a member on the site.

Thank you,
R :D

Irish_Army01
11-27-2006, 05:39
Hows it Going Guys.
I'm a Serving Member of the Irish Defence Forces for 12 years now,My interests include general fitness,rockclimbing and everything military.

This is a Excellent Site and I hope to listen and learn and get to know all you Guys.

Team Sergeant
11-28-2006, 08:27
Hows it Going Guys.
I'm a Serving Member of the Irish Defence Forces for 12 years now,My interests include general fitness,rockclimbing and everything military.

This is a Excellent Site and I hope to listen and learn and get to know all you Guys.

Welcome Irish Army, its good to see our brothers from across the big pond.

Team Sergeant

mike-munich
11-28-2006, 08:52
Welcome Irish Army ! Next time I´m in Baile Átha Cliath we can go for a Guinness in Temple Bar. I´m buying ! :-)

nugget
11-28-2006, 10:28
I was in A Co 1/75 from 96-00. Been in the Guard since then. This forum has been very informative and I look forward to reading more.

CPTAUSRET
11-28-2006, 10:29
Welcome aboard, everyone!

GreenBeret65
11-28-2006, 14:16
Hello all!! My name is Jesse and I served with the now deactivated 8th Special Forces Group (Abn) 1st Special Forces at Ft. Gulick, PCZ in 1964 and 1965. I am very proud to belong to this forum. The most important single day in my life was the dayI was awarded a Green Beret in a quiet ceremony at Smoke
Bomb Hill at Ft. Bragg, NC. Everthing that I have been and ever will be is a result of what I learned about myself during SF training. I hope I posted this correctly and in the right place.

De Oppresso Liber

Team Sergeant
11-28-2006, 15:31
Hello all!! My name is Jesse and I served with the now deactivated 8th Special Forces Group (Abn) 1st Special Forces at Ft. Gulick, PCZ in 1964 and 1965. I am very proud to belong to this forum. The most important single day in my life was the dayI was awarded a Green Beret in a quiet ceremony at Smoke
Bomb Hill at Ft. Bragg, NC. Everthing that I have been and ever will be is a result of what I learned about myself during SF training. I hope I posted this correctly and in the right place.

De Oppresso Liber

Welcome aboard Jesse! Not many from the 8th SFG(A) on here.

Team Sergeant

Bill Harsey
11-28-2006, 17:58
Welcome aboard everyone.

They have beer in Ireland? :D

x SF med
11-28-2006, 18:05
Welcome aboard everyone.

They have beer in Ireland? :D

Ale, sir, ale- it's better than beer. (see I can be a smartass too):eek:

Irish_Army01
11-28-2006, 18:30
Ale, sir, ale- it's better than beer. (see I can be a smartass too):eek:

We have beer Gents, not much Ale im afraid..thats further across the pond in the UK.

But there is nothing like a cold Pint of Guinness:lifter

Gypsy
11-28-2006, 18:48

Amen!

Good to see you here Irish.

Matta mile
11-28-2006, 19:17
Welcome all!
Its great to see such a wide range of diversity here.

REX
11-28-2006, 22:10
Hello,
I am former SF enlisted prior 1st SFG (spt) and 20th SFG (18E). Operation Enduring Freedom 2003. East Coast based. Glad I came across this site dedicated to SF and its history. Seems like there are a lot of Ol' Timers around here which is good. Thanks, REX..

Rex - I moved your intro to it's proper place. To control bandwidth and redundant threads/postings there is only one Intro thread. Read the stickies and familiarize yourself with the operating environment before posting again. FTFSI attracts unwanted attention. 'Nuff said - Peregrino

mike-munich
11-29-2006, 00:52
But there is nothing like a cold Pint of Guinness

I second that. :D

offair
11-29-2006, 16:45
Hey all. I got selected like three weeks ago in the last class and I just happened to stumble across this site. I'm currently stationed at Ft. Polk with the OPFOR unit here waiting to get my Q Course orders.

7624U
11-29-2006, 18:36
Welcome

good luck in Phase II

Verruckt
11-29-2006, 21:57

That is, until you try Beamish. :cool:

dirtytoy
11-30-2006, 22:40
I just wanted to post an intro and say thank you for letting me join your board. I have ran through every topic on here that I can find. Very Very use full board thank you for your fine work attn to detail and most of all your SERVICE to this wonderful country.:lifter

I'm 24, When I was 18 I tried to join the Navy to try out for SEALs. I was unsuccessful in doing so because I was DQ from MEPS with a 3 in hearing. Wait do you here something? Oh no I cant never mind;) I was very disheartened and decided to pursue a normal civilian career:boohoo So now I work for WA fish and Wildlife. Good job, good pay, good career, boring, trivial, and I feel like a sheep.

I have decided to look into the ARMY SF, I think that I should have looked into this in the first place because you guys are a better fit for me than SEALs anyhow, I work very well with people and have a very low temper. I believe that with hard work I would be able to get through training and provide a great service to my country and bring honor to my family.

The only tick is getting through the hearing test at MEPS. I have the local recruiter pulling my records from the navy, and I will be going up to Ft Lewis one of these Wednesdays to listen in on a SF recruitment. I still need to fully come to a conclusion on whether I should go through with this if possible, but I feel the answer will come to me when I am ready.

Sorry for the long wind. keep up the good work and Stay safe, because I may need some guidance from you guys soon.:D

taylor
12-01-2006, 05:15
Hello all.
My name's Martin. Live in Czech Republic, middle Europe.
I'm a military-reenactor with intent on US Army SF and US SOF generaly.
I'll be happy to find some useful informations here.
Have a nice day.

CPTAUSRET
12-01-2006, 06:26
dirtytoy:

"I'm 24, When I was 18 I tried to join the Navy to try out for SEALs. I was unsuccessful in doing so because I was DQ from MEPS with a 3 in hearing. Wait do you here something? Oh no I cant never mind"

I presume the Army's inprocessing physical is the same as the Navy's. So, if you failed theirs (and your hearing is as it was before), why do you presume you would pass now?

Not jumping on your case, just curious.

The Reaper
12-01-2006, 08:06
I just wanted to post an intro and say thank you for letting me join your board. I have ran through every topic on here that I can find. Very Very use full board thank you for your fine work attn to detail and most of all your SERVICE to this wonderful country.:lifter

I'm 24, When I was 18 I tried to join the Navy to try out for SEALs. I was unsuccessful in doing so because I was DQ from MEPS with a 3 in hearing. Wait do you here something? Oh no I cant never mind;) I was very disheartened and decided to pursue a normal civilian career:boohoo So now I work for WA fish and Wildlife. Good job, good pay, good career, boring, trivial, and I feel like a sheep.

I have decided to look into the ARMY SF, I think that I should have looked into this in the first place because you guys are a better fit for me than SEALs anyhow, I work very well with people and have a very low temper. I believe that with hard work I would be able to get through training and provide a great service to my country and bring honor to my family.

The only tick is getting through the hearing test at MEPS. I have the local recruiter pulling my records from the navy, and I will be going up to Ft Lewis one of these Wednesdays to listen in on a SF recruitment. I still need to fully come to a conclusion on whether I should go through with this if possible, but I feel the answer will come to me when I am ready.

Sorry for the long wind. keep up the good work and Stay safe, because I may need some guidance from you guys soon.:D

Unless you have found a way to improve your hearing without electronic or mechanical assistance, your 3 on the PULHES will DQ you for SF as well.

We cannot take a guy who cannot hear well. Not fair to you or your teammates.

I think a lot of people with significant physical limitations want to be SF without considering the impact on their potential teammates. Admirable goal, but ultimately selfish and dangerous.

TR

dirtytoy
12-01-2006, 20:34
Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I understand my limitations and I do not believe that my hearing would affect my ability to adapt to my surroundings. I know that this sounds like some one who just wants to make excuses, but I am not one to excuse my self, only prove my self. If I were to have a conversation with you any where any time, I doubt that you would be able to tell I had a hearing problem. I'm not saying that I don't have a slight disability, but I cope with it very well. Hay and on the bright side, how many of you guys can read lips very well?:cool:

Background: From what I was told by my doc, I lost my hearing when I was 8, got really sick and it boiled my inner ear fluid and damaged the hammer and anvil(sorry don't know correct wording) This was only in my left ear. I am 110% in my right. I am 65-70% deaf in my left ear now. I don't know if this makes a lick of difference to any one at MEPS, but I would love to have a chance to do my best and prove it.

I would never knowingly under any circumstances put team mates in danger. If told no I would keep trying. Expect the worst hope for the best. Again I thank you for having me here.

The Reaper
12-01-2006, 21:01
Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I understand my limitations and I do not believe that my hearing would affect my ability to adapt to my surroundings. I know that this sounds like some one who just wants to make excuses, but I am not one to excuse my self, only prove my self. If I were to have a conversation with you any where any time, I doubt that you would be able to tell I had a hearing problem. I'm not saying that I don't have a slight disability, but I cope with it very well. Hay and on the bright side, how many of you guys can read lips very well?:cool:

Background: From what I was told by my doc, I lost my hearing when I was 8, got really sick and it boiled my inner ear fluid and damaged the hammer and anvil(sorry don't know correct wording) This was only in my left ear. I am 110% in my right. I am 65-70% deaf in my left ear now. I don't know if this makes a lick of difference to any one at MEPS, but I would love to have a chance to do my best and prove it.

I would never knowingly under any circumstances put team mates in danger. If told no I would keep trying. Expect the worst hope for the best. Again I thank you for having me here.

You don't seem to be getting it.

It isn't about you, it is about the team. What do you have to offer them? How would you feel if six or eight of your best friends were counting on you to hear the enemy approaching, and were all killed because you missed it?

If you were facing away from them, it would be very hard for you to detect someone coming up behind you on your left side. In the field, you need all of your senses to be at their peak at all times to stay alive. Without good hearing, we cannot go to sleep and have you on OP/LP, security, or radio watch. We cannot guarantee that you will always be getting instructions through your good ear. We frequently have to be very quiet and be ready to react to very slight noises. You would always be deficient at that. Someone would constantly have to be covering for you. You would be a drag on the team. That is the reason there is a standard requiring SF applicants to have a PULHES of 111111. That means both ears have to work properly. There is no room on an ODA for a deaf guy, a blind guy, a one-armed guy, or one who is mentally challenged. We have no short bus and the ADA does not apply.

If you read the stickies, you will see where I direct people to go read the medical requirements for themselves. Your degree of hearing loss, regardless of cause, is a disqualifier for SF service, and is one that I would not consider waiverable, regardless of what some recruiter may say to get you to enlist.

You are probably a great guy. Why not check to see what career options may be open to you in the Army, or the other services, and select one, if it is appealing to you? You are not going to get into SF, IMHO, and for good reason.

Good luck.

TR

dirtytoy
12-01-2006, 21:24
Thank you for responding to my post, I was hoping you would. You seem to know your stuff and I am honored to take your advice and do what I can with the information you have given me.

Unfortunately I am rather obstinate and will try any how with a smile on my face because I love to be told I cant do something. Makes it all that much better to respectfully prove some one wrong.

I have been hunting for years and have never ran accost a time when I was unsuccessful because of my hearing. I have brought in some nice old bucks, and they don't get that way by being stupid. I understand that hunting is no where close to combat, and I will be vigilant in pursing my goals and over coming my limitations. Thank you again Sir.

cutty
12-01-2006, 21:25
Hello gentelman, Thank you for allowing me in your presence. My name is Jared and I am 27 years old. I am looking into joining the Army with the hopes of being able to get in to SF. I look forward to being able to learn from all of you.

Kurt
12-02-2006, 05:11
Hello,

Everybody call me Kurt. 44 yrs young, from Finland.
Former Finnish Ranger ( RECON ) Ssgt, served in Lebanon -82-86, S-W Africa -89-90.
Did some training ( CT ) in Ft. Bragg -01 with members from SF 3rd Battalion 3rd Group. Any body there, it is I, KURT?
Last 6 yrs working with Cruise Ship Security.
Will be in New Orleans starting from Dec. 10, Ship's name is Norwegian Sun, come by for lunch, it is on me!

you all take care,

KURT

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-02-2006, 06:33
I have been hunting for years and have never ran accost a time when I was unsuccessful because of my hearing. .

Your hearing right now, while a disqualifier for SF based on what you are describing, is not your problem: listening is. Being obstinate is a whole lot different than being focused and persistent on goals that for you are attainable. If your hearing is as you identify it by the medical reports you are not going to even get a chance to try for SF-much less the military. Do yourself a favor and listen to those that are trying to help you accept your limitations and focus on something that is going to make you happy and productive.

smanders
12-02-2006, 10:39
All,

Recently ETSed from Active Duty and am presently considering serving in the NG (specifically 19th GRP MID in WV). I really appreciate all of the advice and redirection you provide individuals on this board. It is both invaluable and entertaining.

Thank you

frogman_jake
12-02-2006, 11:00
Greetings all. My name is Jeff Bennett and I have been soaking up the sage advice from this board for a few months now. I appreciate the respect shown to me as a guest in your community and I hope at some point I can prove helpful. I served in the USMC for 12 years and I am still in the IRR. I am considering a move to the 20th NG SFG and I have found the feedback in this forum both informative and motivating.

godspeed
12-02-2006, 14:39
Hello,
Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of this forum. I am an active Army E-5 74D in Washington D.C. This site has alot of helpful information that is only available here and i look forward to learning from all of you.

marcmmclellan
12-02-2006, 21:52
Your hearing right now, while a disqualifier for SF based on what you are describing, is not your problem: listening is. Being obstinate is a whole lot different than being focused and persistent on goals that for you are attainable. If your hearing is as you identify it by the medical reports you are not going to even get a chance to try for SF-much less the military. Do yourself a favor and listen to those that are trying to help you accept your limitations and focus on something that is going to make you happy and productive.

Sir,
I love reading your posts. You are a pillar of common sense.

JMO,

Marc

Patriot007
12-03-2006, 02:44
Member of Professional Soldiers,

I am a student currently in the application process for medical school. In addition to several civilian schools I am applying to USUHS. I nearly postponed applying to medical school to serve for several years. However, I have realized opportunties to begin a career of service in medicine and have chosen that route. In addition to practicing medicine I have a strong desire to contribute to our nation's security either through military service or opportunties at home in the expanding field of tactical medicine. Over the past year I have been familiarizing myself with as much information as possible on operational and tactical medicine, fields I would love to become involved in and make contributions to. I joined this forum to learn as much as possible about medicine in bad places and would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate.

Respectfully,

Patriot

Edit: I moved this to the proper location. Attention to detail. Kyo

7624U
12-03-2006, 05:23
You need to buy beer now :D
did your look at the top and read the sticky?

iceberg
12-03-2006, 12:24
Hey everyone,
Thanks for letting me on.I'm currently on deployment in Kosovo with the NG.I've been looking at this site for couple of months taking in all the info.I only been in the NG for a year and been active for most of it.I was going to go in on a rep 63 contract. I decided to go 11b so I wouldn't be away from my wife and son too long.Here I am now on a 18 month deployment.I sure regret that decision.I have the 19th and the 20th near me and planning to try out when I get back or go active.

Kyobanim
12-03-2006, 13:20
Iceberg, if I were you I would go back and edit your post and then do a little research using the search button on this site. Your question is insulting.

The Reaper
12-03-2006, 13:32
Hey everyone,
Thanks for letting me on.I'm currently on deployment in Kosovo with the NG.I've been looking at this site for couple of months taking in all the info.I only been in the NG for a year and been active for most of it.I was going to go in on a rep 63 contract. I decided to go 11b so I wouldn't be away from my wife and son too long.Here I am now on a 18 month deployment.I sure regret that decision.I have the 19th and the 20th near me and planning to try out when iget back or go active.Not for nothing, the NG is jacked up!I mean no disrespect but is the SF in the NG jacked up too?

Iceberg:

Fill in your profile and do as Kyo recommended. There are a lot of good NG SF personnel on here, and your question is offensive.

TR

iceberg
12-03-2006, 13:41
I will do that.Like I said I don't mean any disrespect.You have no idea what's going on here.Everything I learned at Ft.Bennig is out the window.NCO's who never been deployed before tell me stuff I learned is BS.We have afew combat vets and they show them no respect.We even went outside the wire without ammo but they want us to wear PT belts with ACU's in garrison!

iceberg
12-03-2006, 15:21
I did some searching.I apologize and don't mean to insult anyone.Just a little frusterated with the way things are going on this deployment.After coming back from Benning and being all Hooah Infantry to being laughed at by the last rotation and the foreign soldiers kinda sucks.

red0devil
12-04-2006, 13:28
Greetings to all, much respect to everyone who walks these fourms.

My name is PO, been in the army infantry for 2 years and three months now. Originally stationed at Fort Lewis, now officially apart of this war, stationed here in Iraq. I'm with 3rd BDE 2nd ID.
After shadowing these fourms for some time now, gathering as much information as I could, I have diecided to introduce myself. I have plans on going to selection once I have redeployed to the states. I am currently hitting PT hard and working connections in order to square myself away, in hopes of a future in Special Forces. I have seen many a spec 4 thru SSG go threw selection just to be booted for several reasons, but ultimately lack of preperation. So my goal for the months ahead is one step at a time training and learning hard in order to be as prepared as I can.

Thank you all for your time and energy putting something like this together,

PO

Team Sergeant
12-04-2006, 13:33
Greetings to all, much respect to everyone who walks these fourms.

My name is PO, been in the army infantry for 2 years and three months now. Originally stationed at Fort Lewis, now officially apart of this war, stationed here in Iraq. I'm with 3rd BDE 2nd ID.
After shadowing these fourms for some time now, gathering as much information as I could, I have diecided to introduce myself. I have plans on going to selection once I have redeployed to the states. I am currently hitting PT hard and working connections in order to square myself away, in hopes of a future in Special Forces. I have seen many a spec 4 thru SSG go threw selection just to be booted for several reasons, but ultimately lack of preperation. So my goal for the months ahead is one step at a time training and learning hard in order to be as prepared as I can.

Thank you all for your time and energy putting something like this together,

PO

Roger. Stay focused on what you're doing. We'll save you a spot for SFAS ;) Welcome aboard.

Team Sergeant

x SF med
12-04-2006, 14:02
Young Soldier - if you ever want to be taken seriously you need to learn to use your native tongue in a more efficient manner.

There are several points that need to be addressed here:
The first- there are 2 spaces after a period, always.
Point 2- all subordinate phrases do not become independent sentences, as they are additional information to the previous full thought. They may be separated from the main clause by any number of punctuation marks, a dash, a comma, a semi colon, but never a period.
Point 3- Most of your sentences are actually fragments, incomplete thoughts that are intelligible only due to the greater context of your post.
Point 4 - Capitalization is important.
Point 5 - Spelling is important.
Point 6 - Usage is important.

Should you mean it when you state your desire to join SF, you will find in your training and afterwards on a Team that you will be required to write for an audience of Officers. If the above posts are what you consider 'good' English, your Team will not get the mission.

If you hope to become an NCO, you need to pay attention to detail in your writing. Actually, even if you decide to leave the Army you will really need to improve your command of the written English Language in order to be taken seriously.

Why would you even ask if NG SF Units were 'jacked up'? do you realize you are asking truly professional soldiers if they believe they are just joking around? I believe you owe our NG brothers an apology.

If the way you presented yourself here is any indication, there is no question why you would be laughedat by your previous rotation or foreign soldiers - you come across as an arrogant kid, convinced he is right and knows everything. This is a bad attitude to cop if you are around people who have been in the Army for longer than the 3 months you were in after getting through BCT.

Pete
12-04-2006, 20:12
Books I would not quote him and that 1999 article while turning in your paper work during the next few years.

Pete

NousDefionsDoc
12-05-2006, 18:55
Hey everyone,
Thanks for letting me on.I'm currently on deployment in Kosovo with the NG.I've been looking at this site for couple of months taking in all the info.I only been in the NG for a year and been active for most of it.I was going to go in on a rep 63 contract. I decided to go 11b so I wouldn't be away from my wife and son too long.Here I am now on a 18 month deployment.I sure regret that decision.I have the 19th and the 20th near me and planning to try out when iget back or go active.Not for nothing, the NG is jacked up!I mean no disrespect but is the SF in the NG jacked up too?
Been there a year and got it all figured out.

That's one. There won't be but one more.

Doczilla
12-05-2006, 23:38
Not wanting to lurk unannounced, I'd like to introduce myself. I am currently a resident emergency physician in OH and 62A assigned to the AMEDD APMC. Having been a paramedic before medical school, I've gone back to my prehospital roots as the medical director for an EMS squad here, and am active with the SWAT team. I joined the Army Reserve after medical school to give something back to those who serve and practice emergency medicine in an environment unequalled in the civilian world. When I graduate, I hope to be involved in some way with special operations, though I am only now becoming aware of what opportunities may be available. It would seem that doctors with this interest are a rare breed. I look forward to serving in whatever way I can.

I am taking this opportunity to read this board and learn more about the kind of medicine practiced in special operations and the "warrior athlete" that is becoming more recognized as a very special patient population. The vast experience of the people on this board has been enlightening, and I am grateful for it.

Thank you very much for including me on this board. I have learned much from reading the posts from you knowledgeable folks here, and I look forward to learning much more.

Respectfully,
'zilla

x SF med
12-06-2006, 08:11
Welcome aboard Doczilla, please try not to trample and burn any cities, ok?:D
Looking forward to learning from you.

Scimitar
12-06-2006, 14:25
Hello,

I have just enlisted in the 18x program with the hope of being selected as an 18D Medic.
Ship out eraly March.
I have been getting some great advice on the SF thread at military.com and the folks there suggested your site.

Thanks for allowing us newbies on board.

A little about myself?

29 year old business consultant / military brat....Infantry Major for a father.
Getting a little tired of just making money for people and went looking for a change to something that really made a difference.
Have tried some aid contracts and really enjoyed them.
The old man suggested the military.....so have spent the last 6 mths looking into it.
Upon researching more and more the mission of the SF....I relaised very clearly that this is the kind of enviroment I think I could excel in. And the kind of mission I would find a passion for.
Although I have not passed SFAS yet or actually made it to the tearoom.
I hope to simply read thru the information on this site and gain an even better understanding of the SF enviroment.

Thanks again for letting me have a look around

SM

Scimitar
12-06-2006, 14:26
Ops sorry...I think I posted that incorrectly

My bad

SM

x SF med
12-06-2006, 15:09
Sean-
Please read all of the stickies and fill out your profile fully. SA is key here.

I'm sure my fellow QPs will be pleased to know that we spend time in a tearoom, I guess we have class, manners and that effete snobbery that sets us apart from other soldiers. :D (yes, I'm busting on you - be careful, I let you off easily, probably won't even raise a welt). I prefer Earl Grey, lemon and a little sugar in a Wedgewood cup, thanks. NDD, what would you like, brother Medic? TS, for you?

It's not a joke about reading the stickies and filling out your profile.

Matta mile
12-06-2006, 19:14
Welcome Doc's!
I'm not a medic but certainly appreciate and revere what you contribute under the conditions that you so readily do.
Welcome aboard!

Cal GB
12-06-2006, 23:53
Lurker checking in. I'm prior enlisted Navy and now a cadet in the Army. I just branched Aviation. I learned about this site from Lurch whom I worked with at the Embassy in Moscow.

Mrren1
12-07-2006, 04:15
Greetings to all the Quiet Professionals, Professionals, Soldiers, Deppers, and anybody I may have forgotten. I am greatly appreciative to be allowed to gain knowledge from those in the know. I appreciate the sacrifice put forth by the men that have stepped through the door of the unknown and came back here to allow us the opportunity to learn and soak up your mental droppings of information and instructions. I am a prior service sailor. I have a desire to re-enter the service and this time around I plan on giving all to reach some goals I have set upon re-entering. Once again thank you for your time, sacrifice and protection of my freedom.

Team Sergeant
12-07-2006, 08:20
Welcome aboard Gents.

Team Sergeant

jaytee
12-07-2006, 12:38
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

This is my introduction and so my first post. I am very thankful to be here, I got the link from my Commander, and I have to say that this is the most helpful site out there. I am a AGR National Guard soldier in a CST(WMD) Team, which doesn't make me very special, but it tells you what I do. I am drilling with an SF unit here in Rhode Island and will hopefully go to Selection next year. I recently got the book "Get Selected" by MAJ Joe Martin, and have been steadily making progress. My unit is very supportive of me going SF, and I have an SF CPT to mentor me. I will continue reading and learning as I lurk, and keeping my mouth shut, so my posts may be few and far between. Thank yYou for accepting me, and I know I will learn alot from all of you.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

Genseric
12-08-2006, 09:26
Hi there!
My name is Gustav and I come from the north of Sweden. I found out about this forum via snooping around on wikipedia about the special forces, wich I hold a great intrerest and admiration for.
I am grateful for being able to learn from you guys, and one day, maybe, I will be a member of the Special Forces, if god wills it... and my physique, and my mental assets. :D
I hope this presentation will suffice, for now. I will gladly answer almost any questions you may or may not have, and I am glad to be a part of this message board.

To all of you soldiers out there risking your necks while fighting terrorism and other threats: GIVE 'EM HELL!

Team Sergeant
12-08-2006, 09:45
Welcome jaytee and Gustav, glad to have you both on board.

Nice to see that some of our European cousins believe in what we do.;)

Team Sergeant

iceberg
12-08-2006, 13:30
I know I left a bad impression of myself in my previous posts. I came to this site to learn more about SF. I learned a little more about myself than SF. I should think a little more about what I what I have to say before speaking. Sometimes you may not intend to insult someone but the way you say it could. I also need to work on my grammar. I am almost 32 and should know better. Again I apologize for insulting the NG soldiers. The fact that AD soldiers were insulted meant a lot, causing me to rethink these thoughts. I am a squared away PFC who plans on driving on with the BS around here and focusing on my goal to become a Quiet Professional.

x SF med
12-08-2006, 13:45
Iceberg-
Please, at least put one space after the periods, your posts are tough on the old eyes. It's Friday, my eyes are tired and I really don't want to have to strain them anymore. A period shows the end of a thought, the space(s) after allow the brain time to store that info, no spaces mean limited comprehension.

I'm being nice, hoping that will help you comply.

(Ah, trying out the new Army, kinder-gentler NCO mode, y'know this really isn't working for me....)

Scimitar
12-09-2006, 03:50
Thanks x_sf_med

Sorry about the tearoom comment.....a current SFer used the term, thought it may have been something you folks called the lunchroom. I was raised overseas and we call it the tearoom there. (lol)

Copy that on the stickys and profile too...will do

SM

dvollmer
12-09-2006, 15:32
Hello all.

I've been lurking here for about 3 months, learning what I can from the guys who've Been There. I'm 20 years old, working toward a history degree. Waiting to get the hell outta this self-serving, morally bankrupt, way-left-of-sane institution they call "higher education" and go 18X.

I've read just about everything on this site, and found it to be an excellent resource. Thank you. I hope I'll be able to put into practice some of the wisdom you've archived here.

Team Sergeant
12-10-2006, 08:08
Hello all.

I've been lurking here for about 3 months, learning what I can from the guys who've Been There. I'm 20 years old, working toward a history degree. Waiting to get the hell outta this self-serving, morally bankrupt, way-left-of-sane institution they call "higher education" and go 18X.

I've read just about everything on this site, and found it to be an excellent resource. Thank you. I hope I'll be able to put into practice some of the wisdom you've archived here.

Good intro, good luck and welcome to the forums.

Team Sergeant

x SF med
12-10-2006, 11:22
Thanks x_sf_med

Sorry about the tearoom comment.....a current SFer used the term, thought it may have been something you folks called the lunchroom. I was raised overseas and we call it the tearoom there. (lol)

Copy that on the stickys and profile too...will do

SM

Sean-
I'll bet he said Teamroom:D I understood the reference, just playing.

biggnaw
12-10-2006, 13:05
Hello

Thanks for allowing me to become a guest.
Let me say I am sorry for not introducing
myself on my first post.

My name is Richard. I have no military experience. I found your site while looking for information about someone in my family who was in the Special Forces. I am a Supervisor at a Coal Fired Power Plant in Louisiana. My hobbies are riding motorcycles, hunting and target shooting. I have enjoyed reading the threads posted here.

Richard

Scimitar
12-10-2006, 15:36
LOL

Yeah.......Teamroom....that sounds more appropriate now I think about it.
Tearoom.......sounds like your the SAS or something

SM

SeanBaker
12-10-2006, 18:26
It seems I'm up for re-introducing myself, with due apologies to Simon and everyone else. I'm 26, a former 98GKP (4 yrs), current EMT-B, and ROTC cadet. Thankfully, that last part is almost a thing of the past and hopefully in a few weeks I'll be replacing it with "USUHS student". In any case, I've been on and off the board for a few years, but will hopefully get more time to spend here over the ensuing months. I appreciate the information to be found here and will now return to keeping quiet and learning like a sponge. Thanks.

Simple Simon
12-10-2006, 19:16
No apologies to me needed I was out of my lane. Back to lurking for me as well.

amwport
12-10-2006, 22:05
Hi,

I am currently a senior in high school who is very interested in Special Forces. I will be attending college next fall and plan on joining the Army after I graduate college. I am trying to decide between enlisting and going in as an officer through ROTC or OCS. I guess I have plenty of time to decide, but I am starting to do my research now. From what I have gathered (from this site and others) if my priority is Special Forces, I would probably be better off enlisting 18x (if that option even exists 3-4 years from now).

I've been snooping around this board for the past few days and have obtained some very valuable information, so I figured I would go ahead and post an intro even though I won't begin the process for several years. Thank you very much for providing this resource. It is great to hear information from people who have been there and know what they are talking about, and I must say that I am even more interested in SF after reading some of the posts on this site.

If there is anything I left out in the intro process please let me know and I will correct it.

Thanks,
Max

stratiotes
12-11-2006, 14:08
Hey all,

I'm currently a 13A serving as a company FSO in a Stryker brigade deployed to Iraq. I've been lurking for quite a while, enjoying the stories and soaking up the wisdom. Thanks for allowing me to be a fly on the wall.

theBilldoman
12-12-2006, 10:13
Hello,

I am a 37F currently spreading the good word downrange. I look foreword to being a fly on the wall. Bill

Team Sergeant
12-12-2006, 12:13
Welcome to the board Gentlemen.

Team Sergeant

Hipshot
12-12-2006, 21:57
With apologies to the Reaper, let me introduce myself. My name is Mike Simpson, formerly of Texas but now living in Arizona. I work for a major defense contractor and have been working military projects since leaving the service in 1992.

I joined the Army in April, 1970, thinking I wanted to be an MP. They sent me to Ft. Ord, CA for basic training and there I was approached by a Special Forces recruiter. His pitch was that, regardless of what our enlistment contracts said, our group of trainees were tagged as infantry replacements and would go to Vietnam upon completion of AIT. The only way out was to volunteer for Special Forces! After taking a series of tests, four of us were asked to sign up for the training and two accepted – me being one of them. One thing he neglected to tell us was that part of the requirement to be in Special Forces was to be jump qualified; and me with a terrible fear of heights!

When we completed AIT, ten of our company left for Ft Benning, GA – the rest went to Oakland, then way West! Jump school was a blast. Ahhh – September in Georgia. Ya gotta love it! The morning runs, PT, 34 foot tower, 250 foot tower, then jump week. We had Texas Air Guard C-119 ‘Flying Boxcars’ to jump from. They didn’t need to push anyone out – you couldn’t wait to get out of those rattle traps!

The 26 days spent out at Mackall I will never forget. I went from 190 to 147 pounds in those 26 days. When I went home for my first leave, I walked right past my mother and she didn’t recognize me.

After Phase I came MOS training. I thought I wanted to be a radio operator, but found out that I was ham-fisted (at least that’s what SFC Merrilee called me). He lost his right hand and had been fitted with a curved pair of metal fingers he could squeeze together. Everyone called him ‘the hook’, but not to his face! He could work a speed key or a bug and really smoke the morse code.

I was transferred over to weapons training and really loved that. Got to shoot almost everything from a pistol up to a 105mm cannon. Qualified expert on most of them.

After the final phase of training, I was promoted to Sgt and assigned to A-423, Co D, 5th SFG(A). Spent a lot of time in cross training, post details untill I volunteered to go to Jungle School in Panama. Sgt Leo Root (Asst S-3 NCO) said that was not a good thing to do. Sur enough, he was right. After 3 weeks in Panama learning about ‘black palm’ and all sorts of snakes, Leo called me and told me to come sign my alert orders. When I asked him where I was going, he said “Where do you think, stupid! I told you not to go to Jungle School.”. I found myself going to Training Support HQ, Nha Trang, RVN.

I flew out of Ft Lewis, WA and arrived in Da Nang (which I learned was known as ‘Rocket City’). I managed to chase Bob Hope from Da Nang all the way to Bien Hoa – a day behind him! That year (1971) was his last trip to Nam. I went from Da Nang to Cam Rahn Bay to Nha Trang to Bien Hoa and finally ended up at the old home of the 3rd Mobile Strike Force (B-36 site at Long Hai in Phouc Tuy province), assigned to A-364 as 1st Company advisor for a Cambodian battalion undergoing training there. The team leader was Capt Anders (Skippy). The XO was 1st Lt Rex Hargadine. Got a great picture of him with his camouflaged walking cast after he took a chunk of shrapnal through the top of his boot out on a patrol and broke his ankle. The team sergeant was MSgt Hogaland (call sign ‘Heavy Drop’). He introduced me to Louis Lamour books and country music – really country! Others on the team were George Goessens, John Campbell, Bobby Caulder, a medic named Spears (called him ‘Bandaid’), Charlie Gage (wild man with a handle bar mustache) and George Young (aka ‘Yankee Dog’).

We had some replacements come in for the officers – one of them would go far beyond what I though someone in Special Forces could go. His name was Kenneth R. Bowra, a 1st Lt who came to us from CCN along with Steve Wilson, a medic who flew as ’chase medic’ for the teams. Who would have thought that Ken would earn 2 stars and be the JFK Center Commander?

I left Nam in November, 1972 and went to Co C, 3rd Bn, 10th SFG(A) at Ft Devens, MA. There I was assigned to ODA-333 who became known as ‘the good deal gang’, because we got all the ‘good’ deals…running the kiddie jump tower, lifeguards at the lake, and the enlargers of the what started out to be a 5 second drop zone (1 went into the trees 3 times). In the 3 years at Devens, I made SSgt, went to BNOC and ANOC a year apart, went through the Danish Combat Swimmer’s Course and Jumpmaster School.

From Ft Devens, I went on ROTC duty to Eastern Kentucky Univ as their SF advisor. As part of ROTC recruiting in 1977, I participated in a demo jump on campus with the KY Army Guard Parachute Team, managing to break my back in two places when, on the 2nd jump of the day, I managed to (1) pull low; (2) have a bag lock; (3) cutaway face down with a chest mounted reserve; (4) pull at about 400 ft and (5) make a three point landing (left heel, right heel and tail bone) on a four lane divided highway. I guess the jump the next day wasn’t too smart! The back injury took me off jump status and made me ineligible to remain in SF, so I turned down my promotion to E-7 and got out of the Army. They were going to send me to a leg unit in Germany anyway – ugh!

Anyway – that’s how I ended up in Special Forces – a time I will never forget working with the most dedicated, professional soldiers in the world! God love them all!

The Reaper
12-12-2006, 23:24
Welcome aboard!

TR

ArcticWarrior
12-13-2006, 15:10
Hello everyone. I have been a long time reader of the posts on this site, and it has been a great source of information. I am currently serving in the active Army, and I am in the Army's newest airborne unit.

I look forward to continuing to learn about the Special Forces community from those who know it best: members of the community. Thanks for all the helpful posts I have already learned from, and I look forward to any help I get in the future.

I have already started on the path to become a member of the Special Forces, and I am excited to do my best to continue on that path. I will also do my best to not ask questions that have already been asked and answered, but please bear in mind that because of where I am currently at (overseas) I have VERY limited internet access, and I do not have as much time as I would like to browse these pages. I apologize in advance if I am guilty of asking an answered question.

Matta mile
12-13-2006, 18:32
Welcome Gents!
Thanks for your service.
MM

pegasus
12-13-2006, 21:41
With apologies to the Reaper, let me introduce myself. My name is Mike Simpson....

Hey Mike

Glad you decided to check out the site. Welcome :)

A.

Huey14
12-13-2006, 22:34
I thought I'd reintro myself since it's not important enough for a new thread.

I'm Huey from New Zealand and I have recently been accepted for training as a Customs Officer in the New Zealand Customs Service.

Ultimately I would like to work in the Risk Response Group or Drug Investigations but for now it's the 25m as you guys say.

hunteran
12-14-2006, 01:13
Hello all,

My name is Andrew Hunter, I am a 17 year old highschool student in my Junior year at Rancho Buena Vista High School in Vista California. One of my life's dreams is to become a member of Army Special Forces. I enjoy running (varsity xc and track) and am fascinated by the military. I was refered here because I am doing a research paper for my junior career project and am in need of an interview with someone in the SF field. Other than that, I will probably just read and learn because I really don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. Thanks for serving and I look forward to reading and learning from you guys.

NightHawk756
12-15-2006, 09:46
Hello gentlemen.

Just thought I would introduce. I don't have any military experience. I've been in Law Enforcement going on 11 years now and I have 6 years SWAT experience.

Seems that I'm of the same mindset of most here.

Thanks guys for everything you do. It doesn't go unnoticed.

CPTAUSRET
12-15-2006, 10:18
Welcome, guys!

Enjoy your stay.

subfighter77
12-15-2006, 11:15
Hello,

I am a 29 years old. I have been in the Army for 6 years. I really like this website. Tons of information and some pretty funny stuff. I am married and have 2 kids. I do want to go to SFAS in the near future. I am doing that SF preparation workout the SF recruiters give to you. I found this site looking for information about SF. I became a member because I wanted to talk with guys who have made it. Great site!!!

Matta mile
12-15-2006, 16:23
Welcome all.
MM

gunnerjohn
12-16-2006, 03:31
Welcome all

deepdvr71
12-16-2006, 09:53
I am 35, married with 4 kids and it took me 4 yrs and a letter to my congressman to finally come active duty. I was in the navy and got out in 93. Iam a 21B combat engineer with 18th eng serving in Iraq. My goal and life long dream is to go to selection. My wife and myself have went to the sf briefing and we were told nothing but what she wanted to hear. It all sounded really good to her. It all sounded too good to be true to her. Is there a way she can talk to another sf wife that has children also instead of a sf recruiter. This is what i want more than anything but I want her to know what we are getting into since the military is going to be my career. Iam currently an E-4 and i just reuped till 2012. Any assistance would be great.

Moved to intro thread: Kyo

apache23b
12-16-2006, 18:36
Hello,
My name is Karl, I'm 22 years old, and have been in the army for 3 years. I Served in Aco 11th EN and Eco 3-69 Ar, and 1 year over in the box. I recently attended SFAS and am currently waiting to go to airborne school then on to Ft. Bragg. I pretty much stumbled onto this website while surfing the web, but I have to say it has tons of information and is a great site. If any of you have advice for me I am always willing to listen from people who have already been there. Thanks alot and happy holidays

srphantom
12-16-2006, 18:49
Hello,

I am a retired FDNY Firefighter and just signed on to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.
You guys have done a great job in taking the fight to the enemy and I am proud of you ( and all our Armed Forces ).
In the dark days after The Attack on 9-11, your success in Afghanistan was a source of inspiration and pride for many of us at home.
May you all be back home, safe....soon.....and victorious !
Thanks again guys
God Bless America

Team Sergeant
12-16-2006, 18:56
Welcome Gents.

srphantom,

Thank you for your service.

And for the record it was "our" (the will of the American people) success in A-Stan. Without that we could not succeed. We fight for you.;)

Team Sergeant

srphantom
12-16-2006, 19:03
Thank you Team Seargent......

"Our" will....but "your" service.....and sacrifice !
Sadly, some Americans have forgotten that.
Until that time......
Stay safe to all.

nito8777
12-17-2006, 17:36
Hi my name is JP I thought it would be best if I came here to introduce my self. Here is just a little bit of info for you about me. I have grown up with a great father who is a retired CWO for the navy. He has done every thing from radar to dill instructor to being deployed in Vietnam. His uniform bares the coveted eagle and trident. The man is in his 60's now still go’s running and looks great!!!
Both my brothers have done their time in the navy. Now I have an interest in the guard 20th SFG out of florida.

I’d also like to add I have looked around this site and you have a ton of helpful information.

Thank You
JP

Matta mile
12-17-2006, 20:09
Welcome JP, glad to have you.
MM

ZooKeeper
12-17-2006, 21:10
Name: Jesse
Education: University of Missouri, BS Ag Education

I am currently in the process of working my on my PT in hopes of becoming an Officer of Marines. I found this site reading a a different forum (can't remember which one now). I've been lurking the past couple of days & can't stop reading the different posts/topics. Not only am I learning a lot, but the different topics are helping me improve my thought process on different issues. Looking forward to reading more & I hope to contribute from time to time.

Great Site!

ZK

jodem
12-18-2006, 08:52
Hello Sir,

I am a new member and would like to thank you for allowing me to visit your site. I am currently a 27/m and I am slated to attend Basic in 8/07 for the AL NG. I am an OCS option and will go soon after basic to OCS. I am debating on changing to Rep 63 and will decide in the near future. Any guidance helps.

Thanks again for your valuable time and the resource you provide.
Jodem - Mobile, AL
:confused:

ClemsonTiger
12-18-2006, 14:48
Hey guys. My name is Stephen and I am a sophomore at Clemson University. My one goal in life has always been to serve with the best, and I hope to achieve that goal someday. I have had a few obstacles in the past. Namely, I had a seizure in my sleep when I was 17 (am 20 now). I have been on medicine ever since, even though my doctors say it was an isolated event and that I don't need to worry about having any more. Every recruiter I talk to says I have to be 5 years medicine free before I can join the Army. This pains me because I will graduate when I am 22, and can't join the Army until 25 (barring some undiscovered loophole). The thing that angers me the most is that I never even knew I had a seizure - I woke up the next day as usual and was told by my parents as I was eating breakfast. I have learned a lot here, and want to say that this is a great resource.
Now I guess I will spend my time reading up here and getting in shape. I used to be a runner, and transitioned to powerlifting. While I have gotten very strong, I never knew that my cardio ability would drop as low as it did. Time to do some rucking.

Have a Great Holiday Season,
Stephen

ESPI13
12-19-2006, 03:08
Hello, my name is SPC Espinoza and I currently serve with C Co. Madigan Army Medical Center, in Fort Lewis, WA. I work in Pathology, Transfusion Services as a 68K, Medical Laboratory Specialist. I am attending SFAS in APR 07 and came across your website in the hunt for preparation questions. Thank you for the valuable information that is afforded to those of us on our journey to be among the Great, and a special thanks for the book Get Selected and the Warrior Foundation. Sir, your book is inciteful and motivating. I hope to keep everyone posted on my quest and I hope to see you in the end. My regards-Espi

x SF med
12-19-2006, 08:17
Hello, my name is SPC Espinoza and I currently serve with C Co. Madigan Army Medical Center, in Fort Lewis, WA. I work in Pathology, Transfusion Services as a 68K, Medical Laboratory Specialist. I am attending SFAS in APR 07 and came across your website in the hunt for preparation questions. Thank you for the valuable information that is afforded to those of us on our journey to be among the Great, and a special thanks for the book Get Selected and the Warrior Foundation. Sir, your book is inciteful and motivating. I hope to keep everyone posted on my quest and I hope to see you in the end. My regards-Espi

SPC Espinoza-
IMHO, you might want to tone down your screen name, due to the fact that on this site, ESPI-NOZ- NOTHING. I'm sure you are a fine Path Tech / Phlebotomist / Transfusion Tech - but that counts for very little. Your screen name and your intro kind of fight with each other in attitude.

MonkeySpunkey
12-19-2006, 21:51
Hey there, I'm a 16 year old HS sophomore, planning on getting a business degree, then joining up under 18x when I'm 21. Playing sports and hiking in the mean time. Probably my first and last post here, since every question I had about your guys' community has been answered before.

Just wanted to extend my thanks to the QPs for this site, it almost feels like cheating all the info I've gleaned from it. Anxious to get out there. Have a great forever, see you soon.

-Jon

The Reaper
12-19-2006, 22:17
Hey there, I'm a 16 year old HS sophomore, planning on getting a business degree, then joining up under 18x when I'm 21. Playing sports and hiking in the mean time. Probably my first and last post here, since every question I had about your guys' community has been answered before.

Just wanted to extend my thanks to the QPs for this site, it almost feels like cheating all the info I've gleaned from it. Anxious to get out there. Have a great forever, see you soon.

-Jon

Jon:

I think that program is limited to American citizens.

TR

MonkeySpunkey
12-19-2006, 23:51
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I have dual citizenship (thanks dad! :D). I'm fully willing to renounce my Canadian citizenship to qualify for the SECRET clearance that I'll be needing.

-Jon

Wiseman
12-20-2006, 11:25
Make sure you get everything in writing showing that you officially renounced your Canadian citizenship. There might me administrative fees involved during the process, but make sure to get EVERYTHING in writing.

namtrah11
12-21-2006, 12:13
Greetings gentlemen. I have introduced myself on here before, and just thought I would hit this first since it has been quite some time since my last login. I just returned from SFAS class 02-07 a few days ago, and am now on emergency leave...yay. I just wanted to take a second though to say thanks for all of the valuable information on this site, and the book "get selected" was an incredible aid as well. Also, if anybody has some decent ideas on material to submerge myself in (i.e.: movies, cassettes, cd's, etc), besides Rosetta Stone and the language software they give you, I would greatly appreciate the suggestions. I landed on the lucky language of Arabic, and actually just came back from Barnes & Nobles, looking for aid materials for the subject. Thanks again gentlemen, and looking forward to working with you all in the future.
~Nick

ESPI13
12-21-2006, 19:47
SPC Espinoza-
IMHO, you might want to tone down your screen name, due to the fact that on this site, ESPI-NOZ- NOTHING. I'm sure you are a fine Path Tech / Phlebotomist / Transfusion Tech - but that counts for very little. Your screen name and your intro kind of fight with each other in attitude.

X sf Med, I meant no arrogance by my screen name. I just thought is was quite a clever play on words, or in this case, play on name. If there is a way to change it, I would be open to that, so that there might not be any confusion in the future with the way in which I esteem myself. Again, sorry for the confusion. -Espi

lksteve
12-21-2006, 19:50
X sf Med, I meant no arrogance by my screen name. I just thought is was quite a clever play on words, or in this case, play on name. If there is a way to change it, I would be open to that, so that there might not be any confusion in the future with the way in which I esteem myself. Again, sorry for the confusion. -Espinot impressed...:munchin

x SF med
12-21-2006, 20:41
X sf Med, I meant no arrogance by my screen name. I just thought is was quite a clever play on words, or in this case, play on name. If there is a way to change it, I would be open to that, so that there might not be any confusion in the future with the way in which I esteem myself. Again, sorry for the confusion. -Espi

SP4 Espinoza,
You will not ingratiate yourself by capializing the 'x' and the 'm' in my screen name while leaving the operative 'SF' in lower case. I am using a screen name from somewhere else that would not allow capitals in the middle - otherwise the SF would be capitalized. Since I've earned the title QP, I was allowed a little leeway in my screenname -you, young man are not allowed that leeway. Look at the posts I've put up - in ALL cases except my screen name I use SF or Special Forces.

As to your screen name - did you even consider the audience? Or, are you just plain blind, or ignorant? (ignorance does imply choice) Humor of that type does not translate very well electronically, especially if you are trying to get selcted to go to SFAS and then the Q - remember the QPs here are the guys who will be making some pretty heavy decisions in that area - your humor failed and you came off as a smart ass, unintentionally, yes, but first impressions count and boyo, they are hard to change.

Send a pm to TeamSergeant, Kyobanim or Dan to get your name changed.

You seem like a fairly intelligent kid, lacking in SA (search button will find this term). You'll learn.

See Dai-ui Steve's comment above, he's a man of few words - I spelled it out for you.

Merry Christmas.

Defender968
12-21-2006, 22:27
Greetings gentlemen, thank you for the outstanding site. I’m a full time police officer and an Air Force Security Forces Reservist. I spent several years on active duty before getting out and joining the AF reserves. I found out about this site from SpecialOperations.com, where I’ve also been lurking and learning for a little while now. I’ve been interested in Special Operations for a long time, and have become more and more interested in Special Forces. I’d like to thank all of you for your service and sincerely appreciate the opportunity to enter your house and learn more about your world.

Thanks,

Cannon1229
12-21-2006, 22:56
Sirs/Sergeants,

My name is Will Cannon. I am enlisted in the NCARNG as an 18X. I am 24, a recent college grad and work as a paramedic. I sincerely appreciate this forum, and my permission to participate. The information I have found here has been extremely helpful. I begin BCT on 13 February 2006 at Fort Benning. I hope that I am found deserving to begin SF training.

Pete
12-22-2006, 07:36
....l. I begin BCT on 13 February 2006 at Fort Benning.

;)

Pete

Sdiver
12-22-2006, 11:41
;)

Pete

LOL.....he must have a time machine.

clutch
12-22-2006, 12:04
just want to wish everyone a merry Christmas and happy holidays

Cannon1229
12-22-2006, 12:55
Merry Christmas

Cannon1229
12-22-2006, 12:59
Pete,

Sorry I didn't catch the error! (really says alot about what they taught me in college!) That would be very difficult indeed. I will be attending BCT 13 February 2007. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

DSLaBonte
12-22-2006, 15:48
Hello, I have recently become one of the members of this fantastic website and I will introduce myself accordingly. I am currently under the 18X-Ray option and I have just finished my OSUT training as an infantryman. I will head to Airborne school, SOPC, and Selection within the next two months. I am nervous and excited, but I think that to have a shot at the Special Operations world is an incredible opportunity awarded to very few. So thanks for listening and hopefully one day I'll be within the same ranks as some of the operators on this website, perhaps talking to them face to face.

NousDefionsDoc
12-22-2006, 16:47
Hello, I have recently become one of the members of this fantastic website and I will introduce myself accordingly. I am currently under the 18X-Ray option and I have just finished my OSUT training as an infantryman. I will head to Airborne school, SOPC, and Selection within the next two months. I am nervous and excited, but I think that to have a shot at the Special Operations world is an incredible opportunity awarded to very few. So thanks for listening and hopefully one day I'll be within the same ranks as some of the operators on this website, perhaps talking to them face to face.
Good attitude Sluggo. Now go hurt your body....

Roland424
12-22-2006, 20:31
Hello gentlemen. I'm currently a 22 year old med student at Johns Hopkins and joined this site to better understand what my brother wants to become. He is currently in the 18x pipeline and lurking around here has been beyond helpful with getting to know the SF mindeset. Thanks again. (Now I'll get back to lurking!)

Roland

Pete
12-22-2006, 20:54
Hello gentlemen. ..... Thanks again. (Now I'll get back to lurking!)

Roland

Welcome Roland. After hanging out here you'll be able to follow your brothers conversations when he talks about training.

Have you found your head and why do you like the .45?:D

Pete

lksteve
12-22-2006, 21:15
... hopefully one day I'll be within the same ranks as some of the operators on this website, perhaps talking to them face to face.i still have the sense that Lily Tomlin is listening in..."One Ringy-dingy...":munchin

NousDefionsDoc
12-22-2006, 21:35
i still have the sense that Lily Tomlin is listening in..."One Ringy-dingy...":munchin
Damn Brother, no slack - not even at Christmas...:)

lksteve
12-22-2006, 21:41
Damn Brother, no slack - not even at Christmas...you know, i'm pretty laid back on most things...some of the time...but "operator" always seems to get my dander up...the only SF folks that seem to want to operate are the Docs..."A chance to cut..."

i have my shot record within arm's reach as i type this...:D

x SF med
12-23-2006, 08:34
you know, i'm pretty laid back on most things...some of the time...but "operator" always seems to get my dander up...the only SF folks that seem to want to operate are the Docs..."A chance to cut..."

i have my shot record within arm's reach as i type this...:D

CPT Steve-
are you offering yourself up as a crash test dummy for NDD and me - stick, cut, sew... I'm a little out of practice, but I'll buy NDD a ticket to SHOT if you're going to be there and you will sign a waiver of medical liability - that would be a great chance to try out some of the new tacmed gear.:D

lksteve
12-23-2006, 10:16
are you offering yourself up as a crash test dummy for NDD and me - stick, cut, sew... I'm a little out of practice, but I'll buy NDD a ticket to SHOT if you're going to be there and you will sign a waiver of medical liability - Brother, it isn't that i couldn't use a tune-up and maybe a spinal transplant, but, no offense, i think i'll hold off for another hundred years or so...not that i don't respect your skills, but now that i've lived past 50, i've developed an aversion to pain...:D

Goggles Pizano
12-23-2006, 10:29
Have you found your head and why do you like the .45?:D

Pete

Holy S Pete that was funny! Wonder if he'll get it? :D

The Reaper
12-23-2006, 10:37
This is the Introduction thread, people.

Try to stay focused. It already has 128 pages.

Nurse, a round of Ritalin for the needy!:D

TR

OrdinaryStudent
12-23-2006, 21:08
Gentlemen,

It's a pleasure to be able to post on this site. Of course I'm concered about writing the wrong thing, because I respect you guys a great deal. Anyway, as my screen name says, I'm a nobody; I have no SOF ambitions myself, and I'm not going to pretend I have anything worthwhile to say. I'm here to listen.

And that's why I'm posting: I'm a mature student at Tufts University majoring in International Relations. My thesis will be on successful (unclassified) US UW and FID ops, particularly post-2001. Of interest to you: I'm not just doing this for myself. There's a recently retired SOF BG at Tufts' Fletcher School who still travels down to Florida quite frequently as an adviser. I was surprised he even tolerated my presence in his office, but he was actually quite interested in my research and offered financial support. All the stuff I find goes straight back to him.

I would be sincerely grateful if some of you gentlemen offered me advice about where and what to concentrate my research on -- what do you think are the success stories? Lessons learned? What shouldn't I look at? For example, I believe Basilan would be a recent success worth focusing on, but what the hell do I know? Only the professionals can tell what's really going on at the tactical level.

I'll be on sabbatical in the coming spring to attend USMC(R) boot camp, but I'm keen to learn as much research-related knowledge as possible before I leave for PI in late January. That way, I'll be able to hit the ground running when I get back in July.
Any PMs on the research subject would be much appreciated, and you'd have another source of free beers in the Boston area.

Merry Christmas,

Toby

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-24-2006, 05:41
There's a recently retired SOF BG at Tufts' Fletcher School who still travels down to Florida quite frequently as an adviser.

Welcome aboard and say hello to Russ Howard for me and do not believe a word he says about my liberties with the English language.

Team Sergeant
12-24-2006, 09:29
Gentlemen,

It's a pleasure to be able to post on this site. Of course I'm concered about writing the wrong thing, because I respect you guys a great deal. Anyway, as my screen name says, I'm a nobody; I have no SOF ambitions myself, and I'm not going to pretend I have anything worthwhile to say. I'm here to listen.

And that's why I'm posting: I'm a mature student at Tufts University majoring in International Relations. My thesis will be on successful (unclassified) US UW and FID ops, particularly post-2001. Of interest to you: I'm not just doing this for myself. There's a recently retired SOF BG at Tufts' Fletcher School who still travels down to Florida quite frequently as an adviser. I was surprised he even tolerated my presence in his office, but he was actually quite interested in my research and offered financial support. All the stuff I find goes straight back to him.

I would be sincerely grateful if some of you gentlemen offered me advice about where and what to concentrate my research on -- what do you think are the success stories? Lessons learned? What shouldn't I look at? For example, I believe Basilan would be a recent success worth focusing on, but what the hell do I know? Only the professionals can tell what's really going on at the tactical level.

I'll be on sabbatical in the coming spring to attend USMC(R) boot camp, but I'm keen to learn as much research-related knowledge as possible before I leave for PI in late January. That way, I'll be able to hit the ground running when I get back in July.
Any PMs on the research subject would be much appreciated, and you'd have another source of free beers in the Boston area.

Merry Christmas,

Toby

Welcome Toby,

You might do well reading in the forums marked "UWOA" (below).

Good luck on your research, feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forums.

Team Sergeant

SSG Garcia
12-24-2006, 09:46
Thank you for letting me be involved here, I really like informative this sight is. I recently returned from my second tour in Iraq and have decided i would really like to try my luck in SFAS. I haven't thought to much further than selection, when i make it i guess ill consider the rest. Anyways, I was really fortunant to meet a quiet proffessional while i was there. He really impressed the hell out of me with his demeanor and over all knowledge. I dont know who he was but i remember thinking after i talked to him "I want to be that guy". So now im getting all the paper work together and knocking out my physical. I started training up and am currently doing 2 and 3 ruck marches a week. I hope to pick up some good tips on how to prepare for whats coming and have a good knowledge base to look to once i get to the more seious stuff. I am currently an apache armament guy so i guess my biggest concern is that my lack of combat arms experience will bite me in the butt later on but i think im willing to adjust fire to meet an obstacle so hopfully ill be ok. Well again thank you for putting together such a great sight.

SSG Garcia

NousDefionsDoc
12-24-2006, 10:25
Thank you for letting me be involved here, I really like informative this sight is. I recently returned from my second tour in Iraq and have decided i would really like to try my luck in SFAS. I haven't thought to much further than selection, when i make it i guess ill consider the rest. Anyways, I was really fortunant to meet a quiet proffessional while i was there. He really impressed the hell out of me with his demeanor and over all knowledge. I dont know who he was but i remember thinking after i talked to him "I want to be that guy". So now im getting all the paper work together and knocking out my physical. I started training up and am currently doing 2 and 3 ruck marches a week. I hope to pick up some good tips on how to prepare for whats coming and have a good knowledge base to look to once i get to the more seious stuff. I am currently an apache armament guy so i guess my biggest concern is that my lack of combat arms experience will bite me in the butt later on but i think im willing to adjust fire to meet an obstacle so hopfully ill be ok. Well again thank you for putting together such a great sight.

SSG Garcia
Welcome aboard. Luck has nothing to do with it.

lksteve
12-24-2006, 10:39
I am currently an apache armament guy so i guess my biggest concern is that my lack of combat arms experience will bite me in the butt later on but i think im willing to adjust fire to meet an obstacle so hopfully ill be ok. Well again thank you for putting together such a great sight.hey, thanks for doing what you do and doing it in harm's way twice...i am grateful...as far as your lack of combat arms experience, if you keep you eyes and ears open, your mouth shut, turn you SA to the "High" position, you will learn how to do whatever you need to do...welcome...

TheRider
12-24-2006, 12:42
Hello my name is Chris, I found your forum while looking for a place that could answer my questions about being a "Quiet Professional" that no other site could answer. And by joining maybe i can contribute some of my knowlege on subjects no one really knows.

lksteve
12-24-2006, 12:47
And by joining maybe i can contribute some of my knowlege on subjects no one really knows.welcome...:munchin

The Reaper
12-24-2006, 12:47
Hello my name is Chris, I found your forum while looking for a place that could answer my questions about being a "Quiet Professional" that no other site could answer. And by joining maybe i can contribute some of my knowlege on subjects no one really knows.

Welcome aboard.

If we get any BMX questions, we will let you know.

The answer to your question is SSG Barry Sadler.

TR

Liquid Asset
12-24-2006, 22:52
Long time lurker, first time poster on this site I did 6 years active duty with 3/504 PIR (now 1/508 PIR), I've done one tour in Afghanistan and two in Iraq and am now an IC. I came across this site in my random browsing and saw how informative it was.

BlackDragon0311
12-25-2006, 00:04
Greetings all, my first post and introduction on here. For a lil background info, i'm 22 and from Texas, joined the Marine Corps right before my 19 b-day, i'm a Marine infantry rifleman (MOS 0311), currently doing work as a MP until my contract is up in June of next year. In the two times I went to Iraq and came back I had very few instances to work with the silent professionals but when I did I always came away thuroughly impressed and in awe, i've always had a interest in special operations forces, but especially Army Special Forces (I have a sister and brother in law stationed at Ft.Hood as well) and have and still am considering following down that path, but whatever happens is as the Lord wills it. I wanna wish everyone on here a very merry Christmas and a happy holidays to all.

Johnny Boy

lksteve
12-25-2006, 09:17
I wanna wish everyone on here a very merry Christmas and a happy holidays to all. thanks for your service...Merry Christmas and welcome...

Huff9337
12-26-2006, 07:35
New to the site. Retired SF. Spent time in 5th SFGA. Also time in Alaska as an advisor to the Eskimo Scouts. Hope to meet so old friends here. Glad I found your site. Thanks for letting me be part of it.

spectre919
12-26-2006, 16:12
Gents,

Wanted to make a quick introduction.

I am currently the S3 in an AFSOC cop unit. During my last AD assignment (nuc security) I had the priviledge to get a small dose (8 week mod-SFARTEC) of training through N-G. Our instructors were recently retired from 3rd, 5th, & 7th Grps. I thought we were going to learn some really cool "tricks of the trade" and quickly clued into "mastering the basics" is the trick...and then looking cool doing it! I like the way SF trains and the professional respect SF gives and demands. I am trying to instill that mindset into my current unit...of course getting the "we don't do it that way!"

I will glean as much from the previous posted forums as possible, but will probably ask a few questions to bridge the gaps.

The Reaper
12-26-2006, 16:14
919 is a good outfit.

Welcome to PS.com, all!

TR

Z731
12-26-2006, 19:26
Hello. I am honored to be a member of this site. I am new to the site and appreciate all the help I can get.

I have been in the Special Forces Community for 20 of my 25 years of active duty but still learn things everyday. I am looking forward to learning from this site and giving of my knowledge when I can.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Z

Team Sergeant
12-26-2006, 20:00
Hello. I am honored to be a member of this site. I am new to the site and appreciate all the help I can get.

I have been in the Special Forces Community for 20 of my 25 years of active duty but still learn things everyday. I am looking forward to learning from this site and giving of my knowledge when I can.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Z

Welcome SGM!

TS

bailaviborita
12-27-2006, 08:58
Hello, all. New here. Was invited to join another site by an SF Medic several years ago- if memory recalls it was either in 7th Group's S-3 office or it was in 1st BN's Med area. Didn't have time to surf then, but do now- and took me some time to find out where he had gone to (I think this is the place)!

All of my PCS time has been at Benning or Bragg- hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for setting this site up- great stuff!

Nomad275
12-27-2006, 13:33
I've heard a lot of good things about this forum and after reading through some of the threads, I am more than impressed and feel like there is a lot to be learned on here.

I go by Matador275 on Socnet and ArmyRanger.com and decided to change it up this time with the s/n. I'm a former 2/75 guy, who's been contracting for almost three years now in the sandbox and am currently 6 days and a wake-up away from heading out of here for a while.

I appreciate the opportunity to be a member here.

Gypsy
12-27-2006, 18:33
Welcome to all, and my thanks to those of you who have or are serving.

bailaviborita and Nomad275 nice to see you. Stay safe when you head out, Nomad.

CC Rider
12-27-2006, 22:11
I just happened to find this site and I am very impressed by what Iv read so far. As for myself Im an IC a firearms trainer and a investigater been deployed Iraq and waiting for word on when I am to go back . Thanks

Chris

Snaquebite
12-28-2006, 14:04
Nice site...joined a few months ago...been lurking and checking all the threads. Lots of knowledge here...hope to get to know some of you and maybe find some ole friends...

De Opresso Liber
Snaque

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-28-2006, 14:31
Nice site...joined a few months ago...been lurking and checking all the threads. Lots of knowledge here...hope to get to know some of you and maybe find some ole friends...

De Opresso Liber
Snaque

Welcome aboard SGM!

SOCOM8721
12-28-2006, 15:40
Introduction,

Hmmm... I am just a military retired, and still hard working southern gentleman. Proud of my son who graduated Q, top peer, 01 December 2006, now a legacy. Immediately he got himself to the sandbox to go to work (18E). It was an honor to pin him and to counsel him through the rough times.

He told me about your site when I was up for graduation.

Thanks for the gathering place.

Maybe I will see some of you all in Orlando. (our H.O.R.)

Scottidog

12BMAT
12-29-2006, 10:37
Good day everyone:

I would like to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I’m 36 and a 12B. I am currently in the North Carolina National Guard.
I have been in the process of self training and preparation for the SFAS and will be attending SFIP in April.
I look forward to reading and learning form the members of the forum and putting that knowledge to study and use when I go to SFAS.

12BMAT

Moved to the right place. We don't do individual threads for introductions. Please read ALL the stickies before posting again. Peregrino

The Reaper
12-29-2006, 14:56
Moved to the right place. We don't do individual threads for introductions. Please read ALL the stickies before posting again. Peregrino

Read his profile.

You may have met him before.

SCA, baby!

TR

AmericanSoldier
12-30-2006, 02:32
Greetings,

Figured I would post my 1st post already after reading through many of the threads. Just some basic info then, SF has been my asperation since I was 13, my uncle was SF so... in my youth I already saw what I wanted to become. Joined the Army alittle over 3 years ago, currently deployed for OIF, I have been lucky enough to speak to a few operators while in theater as well. Mainly joined the website to pick up any additional information while I am over here, I was originally speaking to a SF recruiter prior to this deployment (hence how I found out we were leaving), however, I do own a (now raggy) copy of "Get Selected" and the main point the Major does go over is mentors. So I looked up his link and here I am at your door step asking for any knowledge available.

A.Soldier

Danny Muj
12-30-2006, 07:59
I am a Marine 0211 (Counterintelligence/Human Intelligence). Our main charter right now is attaching 6-man teams to the grunt batallions in Iraq while conducting tactical human intelligence. This entails interrogations primarily, then some other things. I am the recruiter for our MOS here in Okinawa, Japan.

I love my job, as it's extremely fulfilling, and I get to see things develop from beginning to end (i.e. interrogate bad guy, get info on another bad guy, grunts roll up bad guy, I get to interrogate THAT bad guy, and so on...)

I have a terrific wife (she is truly a gift) and two great kids, all three of whom are the most important people in my life.

I got sucked into this site while researching some different things. A wise man once said, "If you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people". I guess that sums up why i'm here. I love to be surounded by professionals. That's why I love my job.

Sacamuelas
12-30-2006, 08:59
I got sucked into this site while researching some different things. A wise man once said, "If you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people". I guess that sums up why i'm here. I love to be surounded by professionals.
Me too. Welcome.

Danny Muj
12-30-2006, 09:51
Sacamuelas...nice.

Jawbreaker definitely sounds WAY cooler than Molar Remover. Molar Remover sounds like the arch nemesis of Capt Colgate, the tooth decay fighting superhero that we all learned about in 4th grade.

x SF med
12-30-2006, 09:55
Danny-
Welcome aboard, Marine.
Please fill out your profile - you're 1/2 way there, the stickies make it clear both an intro and a profile are required. Be glad I asked nicely before one of the mods hit you with an ugly stick.

CPTAUSRET
12-30-2006, 13:51
Danny-
Welcome aboard, Marine.
Please fill out your profile - you're 1/2 way there, the stickies make it clear both an intro and a profile are required. Be glad I asked nicely before one of the mods hit you with an ugly stick.

Welcome Marine, what he said!

Can't find my stick, it's set to "Stun" anyway!:)

Danny Muj
12-30-2006, 18:23
I'm not much to look at in the first place, but I try to avoid encounters with ugly sticks as often as possible.

soldierboy3502
12-30-2006, 19:38
Its great to know that this site is still active, The last time I visited this site was before I left for Iraq again in late 2005. But I am back and hope to learn as much as I can from these fine Professional gentlemen. Since I've been gone so long, I'll introduce myself again. I've been in the Army 5 years now as an 11B and assigned to 2BCT 101ABN. I'm 25 and hope to make the military a career. Thanks!:cool:

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-30-2006, 19:59
Welcome back and thanks for picking up the torch for those of us no longer able to do so. If there was ever any doubt in your mind, know that I, and most everyone else I know, are proud of you and appreciate your service as well of all the rest of those of you serving today.

resctech
12-31-2006, 15:13
Been lurking and learning since I registered, doing all the required reading to build the SA up. Excellent site. I had an experience in the box with an ODA and all of the stereotypes were thrown out the door, by far the most professional soldiers I have ever worked with. The impression they left on my junior Marines lasted the whole deployment. For me, it was the little things they did. The basics, and the attention to detail. It's a privelege being able to learn from these professionals now. Thanks for the site, I am looking forward to the professional development that will follow.

Spent a little over 10 yrs in the USMC, 0311 (infantry), active and reserve, now with the NG. As a civilian, I work for a large metropolitan fire dept as a technical rescue tech. Staying a student of my trades thanks to sites like this.
Thanks for having me.

Joe S.
01-01-2007, 00:50
Hello, Gentlemen.
My name's Joe and I'm a Marine veteran now pursuing a law enforcement career back in the states, and am in the hiring process with several local and a couple of federal agencies. I've got a supportive wife and healthy baby boy who are my greatest driving force. I would say that I'm an ordinary person with a few extraordinary skills (thanks USMC).
Like resctech, I had a brief experience in the sand box as an 0311 where we interacted with an SF ODA. Nothing but Professionals and a lasting impression for sure.
To any of you who are on here and worked with the Marines over there in '03...I'd like to say, "Thank you gentlemen, it was an honor if even for a short while.".
Since that day I have been interested in the SF lifestyle and found this website via a trip around the "GOOGLE" block. I am contemplating trying my hand at giving the 5/19th SFG a shot. I understand they have some sort of detachment or Co. up here in Redwood City. This is a very informative site and I will use it wisely.
I am honored to be a guest in your home and will act and respect your rules accordingly as such.

Thanks again, gentleman.

gunnerjohn
01-01-2007, 04:25
Welcome all.

In the New Year, may your right hand always
be stretched out in friendship and never in want.

abncommoguy
01-01-2007, 11:12
Allow myself to introduce..myself. Currently seving in the CAARNG as a commo TL. for the LRS. I am a 25C and 11B. Deployed 04-06 ISO TF Falcon Bosnia.
Admired the SF since I was 13 and then my sister had to marry one. My brother in law (18C, 10th SFG) was a huge inspiration in my formative growing years. My former TL and good friend is in 19th just finishing up.
Here to lurk and learn inflate my brain with some great experience and knowledge.

DrJWelch
01-01-2007, 12:44
My post-haste post:

I am a former naval corpsman that is now a Ga Physician finishing up a FM residency (still at Emory). I have been interested in tac med for a while and am picking up all the info that I can. I have been pursuing tactical med experience in GA and have been sharpening up skills and continueing the pursuit of information on the subject. Anytime I can help anyone please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks

CPTAUSRET
01-01-2007, 14:11
Welcome, Doc!

hitman
01-02-2007, 09:31
Hello gentlemen. I am a former SOT-A Team Leader for 10th Group. 4/4 arabic linguist. People call me Cas. I know work in the private sector, making some of the equipment that we/you use. Just wanted to feel like I was still part of the community. As 2/10 CSM would say "That is all".

Surgicalcric
01-02-2007, 09:36
Welcome...

And so the SC contingent grows... lol

Crip

Warrior-Mentor
01-02-2007, 10:42
...I do own a (now raggy) copy of "Get Selected" and the main point the Major does go over is mentors. So I looked up his link and here I am at your door step asking for any knowledge available.

Welcome aboard. I did a book signing at Fort Lewis back in July. Had a guy walk up looking a little embarassed as he handed me his dog-eared copy of Get Selected. Couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. I told him that's what this book is supposed to look like. He said he'd been rucking with it...read it on his breaks. Great stuff.

Welcome again!

Basschild
01-03-2007, 07:43
Hello everyone,

I am an X 11b who spent 4 years active and 1 in the reserves with a Civil Affairs BN. I had gotten out of the active army to try and go to collage and to try and start a family. I left with the intention of going back in when I finished collage and finally let my balls drop and go to selections. I joined up with a reserve CA BN because they where under special operations command and could offer me all the funding I ever wanted for army schools. Well nothing has been going right for me as of yet.

The CA BN changed commands and now all the schools that I was signed up for are now gone, me and my fiancé are expecting a baby this summer, and I just got the email that the job I had has to let me go. So it looks like I might be going back to active a bit sooner than I thought. So I came in here for advice on how to prepare for selections.

The Reaper
01-03-2007, 07:46
Hello everyone,

I am an X 11b who spent 4 years active and 1 in the reserves with a Civil Affairs BN. I had gotten out of the active army to try and go to collage and to try and start a family. I left with the intention of going back in when I finished collage and finally let my balls drop and go to selections. I joined up with a reserve CA BN because they where under special operations command and could offer me all the funding I ever wanted for army schools. Well nothing has been going right for me as of yet.

The CA BN changed commands and now all the schools that I was signed up for are now gone, me and my fiancé are expecting a baby this summer, and I just got the email that the job I had has to let me go. So it looks like I might be going back to active a bit sooner than I thought. So I came in here for advice on how to prepare for selections.

Why are you so concerned about schools?

What sort of schools do you need?

TR

Basschild
01-03-2007, 08:04
What sort of schools do you need?

TR

Its not really a matter of need its just mainly stuff that I always wanted to do. Goals that I set for myself when I signed up for the army. I always wanted to do airborne and they also could get slots for language school. I saw taking military schools as a way to keep me motivated to stay in shape and to stay on track.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-03-2007, 12:47
. So I came in here for advice on how to prepare for selections.

If I am reading your post correctly you have a few other priorities that need to be placed in the proper order before worrying about whether or not you are going to make it to selection. You had a goal to go to collage for a purpose and apparently you lost your focus. I am confused as to why you thought you wanted to go to collage and start a family and then return to the military. If you need to have some outside stimulus to pressure yourself to get into and stay in shape you definitely do not have the level of commitment we are looking for in SF. I don't want to sound too harsh here but I think you have a lot of baggage to sort out before you even think about trying for selection.

82ndtrooper
01-03-2007, 19:31
JM,

I miss your old avatar.........it was........well......"Special"

Team Sergeant
01-03-2007, 19:35
JM,

I miss your old avatar.........it was........well......"Special"

That would be "Colonel Jack" to you.;)

This is the introductions thread, lets keep it that way.

Team Sergeant

Sionnach
01-04-2007, 12:00
I'm a former Infantryman (11M).

I wasn't real happy with being an 11M because everything revolved around Bradley gunnery. The "dismounts" received little, if any training, and that was generally done as an afterthought. I felt like a baby tanker, but for a brief period, I had a PSG that was all about the guys on the ground, and I got to be light Infantry.

He convinced the 1SG that our platoon needed to be assigned as OPFOR for the SCANG. I can't tell you how much fun I had running around Ft. Jackson with my fire team conducting raids, counter-recon, and all those light infantry missions. Those scouts never knew what hit 'em, and watching the poor guy run through the woods with his BDU bottoms around his knees and toilet paper streaming from his fourth point is something I will never forget.

We performed so well in that role, we were assigned to play OPFOR back at Ft. Riley. I was instructed to take my team into the support battalion's perimeter, and let them know were were there. I'm sure the BN CO and CSM didn't appreciate the "OPFOR was here!" and the big red stars written in chalk all over their HMMVs and TOC. Ever raid the morning chow line? Good times.

I'm now working with a recruiter to return to duty, and as soon as someone buys my house, I'm signing on the dotted line. This time, I'm making sure I get an assignment to a light unit.

Thanks QPs. I've learned more about soldiering in a few months of lurking than I think I learned in my first four years. :lifter

Edit: grammer/spelling

Max_Tab
01-04-2007, 13:09
Welcome, OPFOR duty was always a fun time. Have a lot of good memories doing that.

DeNada
01-04-2007, 15:03
Just an interested college kid looking to absorb as much knowladge as possible. I've been lurking for a while and decided thats its only fair to let you QPs know who I am.

I've filled out my profile, but I wont be posting much (at least not until I decide to ink up an 18x contract). If/when I post I will make sure that its pre researched and well formulated.

I cannot thank you veterans enough for putting together such a priceless source of information and allowing us civilians and SF hopefuls a glimpse into Special Forces culture.

Respectfully,
Luker

DanNY
01-05-2007, 10:56
Hello everyone!

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to review the wealth of information these forums provide.

Currently a college graduate and the Operations Manager in the financial industry. I've been fortunate enough to captain my college lacrosse team as well as win a National Championship way back in '98 ;) No children or wife to worry about either (no, this is not a personal ad)

My youngest brother will receive his Green Barret in February '07 and no words can express my respect for his dedication and duty.

I've just recently decided to and join the U.S Army and serve our country for at least the next 15 years. I'll be joining through a REP-63 contract and I hope to gather as much information from these forums as possible prior to my departure. Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

Dan

Team Sergeant
01-05-2007, 11:03
My youngest brother will receive his Green Barret in February '07 and no words can express my respect for his dedication and duty.

Regards,

Dan

I know a few that have earned the Green "Barret". (Most of us on here have earned the Green Beret.);)

Welcome aboard Dan. Sit back and do some more reading.;)

Team Sergeant

The Reaper
01-05-2007, 11:33
I know a few that have earned the Green "Barret". (Most of us on here have earned the Green Beret.);)

Welcome aboard Dan. Sit back and do some more reading.;)

Team Sergeant

I have a green ArmaLite, is that close enough to a Barrett? Can I play?

TR

w1cked
01-06-2007, 09:52
Hey guys. This is a great informative site. I am a college student who is going to be in the ROTC and Army Reserves soon (pending medical approval). I wish to enlist as a Special Forces Recruit upon graduation. My name is Sam.

ObliqueApproach
01-06-2007, 10:53
My post-haste post:

I am a former naval corpsman that is now a Ga Physician finishing up a FM residency (still at Emory). I have been interested in tac med for a while and am picking up all the info that I can. I have been pursuing tactical med experience in GA and have been sharpening up skills and continueing the pursuit of information on the subject. Anytime I can help anyone please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks

Welcome aboard doc! An echo and I were talking about being in Sudan earlier this year and both agreed that you can never have to many docs.

DaddyWilk
01-06-2007, 12:21
Hello all. I'm a 35D currently serving in OEF. Been in the military since 97, commissioned in '04. I've had a diverse career; started in the Navy working admin, security, and electronics. I'm married with 2 pets and call Bragg home. I'm here to learn and laugh.

FearTheCats
01-07-2007, 09:59
Hello all,

It's great to find this site. I live south of Bragg and the majority of my friends are military, many Airborne, and some SF. I'm here both to help myself understand their world a little, and because I have always been a military history buff. Like somebody said here recently, surround yourself with good people if you want to improve.

As to myself, I was in AFROTC a couple years and was DQed for asthma, otherwise I'd be sitting underground with the keys to some ICBMs now. When they raised the Reserve and Guard enlistment age recently, I started going after a slot in my local Guard Cav troop, but thought better of it because even if some general signed a medical waiver, I might be putting others at risk. Also I ran the numbers and saw that being deployed on E-4 pay trying to cover O-5 bills would not work.

So I went through Basic Law Enforcement Training and became an auxiliary deputy sheriff. That scratched the itch, and I've asked to move to full-time. My day job is lawyering, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered with the legal stuff even though I can work my legal career around the patrol schedule.

I'll be lurking much more than posting, but now and then there might be something I can intelligently comment on. Thanks from the Land of the Free to the Brave who serve here and over there.

snakeeyes
01-07-2007, 11:20
Hello everyone,

My name is Chris my first job in the AF was military police now I work in Combat Rescue Nellis AFB, this is a great site and a great learning tool I will be lurking around.

taskforce1204
01-07-2007, 16:13
Awesome site! There is a wealth of experience and quality information on this forum and I will visit often. My goal is to get selected for SFAS from the A/2/20 tryouts in May.

RetPara
01-08-2007, 04:41
Same RetPara, same dumb dogs, and stupid stories....

Mod on BHD93.com, 17 years USA, 4 years USMC. Intell weenie with the 82nd, 525 MI Grp, Ranger Regt S2, USASFC G2 & G3, 1st AD.

gbsjs
01-08-2007, 06:11
Hi all. My name is Matt and I am an SF Commo Sergeant who served 6 years at 10th SFG(A). I left last week and I am now at Fort Benning to attend OCS. Yep, back to big Army. I am being branched Signal and have my follow on assignment to Fort Drum, NY, woohoo!

De Oppresso Liber

mike-munich
01-08-2007, 06:25
Welcome ! Good to see somebody from 1/10 here. Have you been to Panzerkaserne ?

gbsjs
01-08-2007, 17:13
Welcome ! Good to see somebody from 1/10 here. Have you been to Panzerkaserne ?

I was there up until last Monday... I got here to Benning on Tuesday.

triguy18e
01-08-2007, 19:30
I've been lurking for awhile and decided it was time...

18E

C. co., 19th SFG(A), Camp Dawson, WV

1 Deployment with an ODA (9XX), still a newbie in the Teams.

Graduated the Q in Dec 05, shipped to Iraq in Jan 06 returned in Aug 06.

Good to be here!

gunnerjohn
01-08-2007, 20:14
Welcome aboard everyone

Team Sergeant
01-08-2007, 20:33
Welcome Gents.

(triguy18e do you know anyone on the board? Send me a PM if you do.)

Team Sergeant

mike-munich
01-09-2007, 01:21
I was there up until last Monday... I got here to Benning on Tuesday.

Bummer... I would have bought you a beer at the Künstlerviertel in Böblingen, my grandmother still lives off Stuttgarter Str. at the Thermalbad. I drive up there frequently.

Good luck at OCS !

Loki
01-09-2007, 11:45
I am a 28 year old SPC in the 3rd ID serving as an Engineer in an armor unit. I'm attending SFAS on 20060116 and look forward to getting the opportunity to prove myself.

Team Sergeant
01-09-2007, 15:16
I am a 28 year old SPC in the 3rd ID serving as an Engineer in an armor unit. I'm attending SFAS on 20060116 and look forward to getting the opportunity to prove myself.

PSSSST, its now 2007.:rolleyes:

Welcome aboard.

TS

Jgood
01-09-2007, 15:22
Think he missed his report date

gbsjs
01-09-2007, 19:42
Bummer... I would have bought you a beer at the Künstlerviertel in Böblingen, my grandmother still lives off Stuttgarter Str. at the Thermalbad. I drive up there frequently.

Good luck at OCS !

I appreciate it. I'd kill for a Reutberger Hefeweizen about now, or a Rothaus Pils!

Loki
01-09-2007, 22:07
Guess I'm going to have a hard time proving myself if I'm a year late...

Well, better late than never.

mike-munich
01-10-2007, 01:19
I appreciate it. I'd kill for a Reutberger Hefeweizen about now, or a Rothaus Pils!

Ahh, like all QP´s a man of excellent taste. I drive by the Kloster Reutberg every morning in my Stang. Maybe I should send you a bottle Klosterweisse in the mail...
Beer is not only for breakfast, as we say in Tölz.:D

TS, I apologize for abusing this thread. :o

Davec43
01-12-2007, 16:28
Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to be a guest here. Ive been in the military for going on 5 years now, graduate the "Q" course next month and will be going to 3rd group. Hopefully to go down range and serve with my friends. Again thanks for allowing me to brush shoulders with the best.

bloodlines
01-12-2007, 19:58
Hello all,

I'm a college student interested in 18x Special Forces. I've been gathering much information and this site has helped plenty.

Thank you all for your sacrifices, gentlemen.

jmhcr66
01-12-2007, 21:18
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the information that this forum has to offer. Every time that I have had a question, I found the information I was looking for right here. I finally got my orders for the Q, and I am very excited to start. It is nice to have a place where I can get the answers from people who have been down this path already. Thank you all. 18D/Spanish.

rab24
01-13-2007, 05:58
Hello,

I've been reading various threads on this site for a few weeks and would like to introduce myself.

I'm a prior service CPT looking at 20th GRP in N.C.

I currently work overseas, but I'm in the process of scheduling an interview with 20th GRP rep.

Glad to be here and thanks for the great info!

Phantasm
01-14-2007, 00:43
My basic was at Fort Ord 13Jan72. After basic I was sent to Ft. Devens where I assigned to ASA (Army Security Agency) where I picked up a 98C20 MOS which later changed to a 98C2S while I was assigned to play with you tough guys...:rolleyes: The first words I heard out of the Team Sergeant’s mouth upon my arrival was "oh God not another spook!". After a couple of years in SE Asia I married a "foreign national” (Thai) and there went my security clearance, next thing I knew I was at HHQ ˝ Inf @ Ft. Riley KS. The most memorable years remain those spent in SE Asia, someday I hope to return and see what it’s like there now.

Brandon Bolton
01-14-2007, 17:02
Thanks for the great site and for having me as a guest. I am currently in the SF pipe line as a 18B and come here for info from time to time. Thanks again for all you do…………BB

jmhcr66
01-14-2007, 17:05
I searched the forums, and I couldnt find this one thing. I met this girl who was on a visa from Colombia. I met her and have talked to her for a long time. I am curious to see if I would lose my pending security clearance if I would happen to marry her? Any advice would help a lot. Thank you guys for the help.

Kyobanim
01-14-2007, 18:33
I searched the forums, and I couldnt find this one thing. I met this girl who was on a visa from Colombia. I met her and have talked to her for a long time. I am curious to see if I would lose my pending security clearance if I would happen to marry her? Any advice would help a lot. Thank you guys for the help.

Advice 1: Think about your position. You're just getting started on the biggest adventure/challenge of your life. You don't need any distractions.

Advice 2: This isn't the proper place to ask this question. Look around.

The Reaper
01-14-2007, 20:59
Thanks for the great site and for having me as a guest. I am currently in the SF pipe line as a 18B and come here for info from time to time. Thanks again for all you do…………BB

Welcome Brandon. Now fill in your profile.

It depends. What is your priority right now?

Here is a clue. A foreign national in your life right now isn't going to help.

TR

jmhcr66
01-14-2007, 23:06
Thank you guys for the help. My one and only priority right now is passing the Q course. Everything else in my life will have to wait until after that.
I apologize that my question was not in the proper place. My mistake will not happen again.

NousDefionsDoc
01-15-2007, 08:38
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!