Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-10-2005, 22:50   #1
Tex
Asset

Jump School advice

It looks as though I'm probably going to get a slot in Jump School this summer, and as I am merely a cadet at VMI, this will be my first experience with Army training. I noticed that in the Ft. Benning website, they say that the running is 3-5 miles at a 9-10 minute pace, which seems a little underwhelming. In any event, I was looking for any words of wisdom with respect to JS, be they the physical or mental aspects of it. Thanks for the help.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 22:51   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Stay "invisible". Once they get your number the fun begins!

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 23:03   #3
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Stay "invisible". Once they get your number the fun begins!
Great advice!

Be the grey man.

Terry
Old 01-10-2005, 23:08   #4
12B4S
Quiet Professional

K TEX.. digging back again.
1. DO NOT pull your reserve while standing in the door!!!
( Yeah, sounds ridiculous, but while waiting to board our aircraft, I saw a guy do just that )
Now for the general training that I remember most (it was June or July '69) the running isn't that bad as long as you have been running, which I know at VMI you are. They LOVE dropping you for pushups. Tons of pushups. and Chinning yourself they were big on that.
DON"T go in June or July lol
And be very nice to the Black Hats, unless you had happened to have spent Freshman year of college with him.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:31   #5
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Physically this is an easy school. There will be complications with the heat during the time you are going so make sure you stay hydrated and eat well. Follow the instructions of the black hats. If you have never jumped before, I can almost guarantee that the first thoughts out of your brain housing group while you are checking your canopy to make sure it opened during you first jump will be to thank whatever deity you believe in and make some silly promise that you will never sin again. Of course, that will be a lie but you will feel better.

That is the good news. The bad news is that the parachute you are using was bought under the Federal Aquisition Regulations which required that the company that got the contract to make it went to the lowest bidder.

Jack Moroney
Old 01-11-2005, 06:34   #6
Kyobanim

don't look down

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:35   #7
scubasam
Asset

Hey Tex... You need to look into dive school.. you still got time to prep!!!...

P.S. I's VMI '02
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:28   #8
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Damn Sir...LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
I can almost guarantee that the first thoughts out of your brain housing group while you are checking your canopy to make sure it opened during you first jump will be to thank whatever deity you believe in and make some silly promise that you will never sin again. Of course, that will be a lie but you will feel better.

Jack Moroney
And if you don't believe in a higher being...Mothers are great substitutes.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-

Last edited by Guy; 01-11-2005 at 09:52.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:46   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasam
Hey Tex... You need to look into dive school.. you still got time to prep!!!...

P.S. I's VMI '02
What Dive school would that be -- Belvoir?

Tex do all of the prep, and studying you can but take this to the bank; When you go to any Military School you are best off if you "Don't know nuttin." I have spent a fair amount of time as a UWO instructor and the hardest job is un-training those who already know it all. They bring a lot of extra attention upon themselves.

misery is optional.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:55   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Team Sergeant’s Jump School advice:

1. Don’t go and get a haircut just to appease the Blackhats. When I left Infantry school my Drill Sergeant pulled the six of us aside that were going to attend Jump school and told us that our haircuts were just fine and the Blackhats were just being bullies. Needless to say, we went to Jump school with “long” hair.

2. Do go and get that “AIRBORNE” tattoo, complete with jump wings, BEFORE you attend jump school. This will set the tone and give notice to your instructors that you mean business and under no circumstances do you intend to quit. In fact it’s customary show the “tat” to the Airborne school 1st Sgt when reporting in to Jump School.

3. If the Airborne PT is not demanding enough that let your Blackhats know. They don’t want you or your class to be the first “easy” class, so inform them they might be setting the PT standards too low. While attending jump school the term “YOU CAN’T SMOKE ME” cannot be used enough

4. Do go and purchase the Airborne, Red Beret. Keep it in your pocket as a sign of your commitment to becoming an Airborne soldier, show it to all your classmates, and don’t forget the also show the Blackhats.

5. On your first day/night off do go to town and throw down a few with your Airborne classmates. Find out where the Rangers like to “kick up their heels” and throw down a few with them, remember to proudly display your “tat” whenever indulging with fellow Airborne soldiers. If you fail to locate the Army Rangers for a friendly round of drinks then the Navy SEALS in your class would be another great group of chaps to go out knock back a few with.

Enjoy!

AIRBORNE!!!!!!
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58   #11
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Team Sergeant’s Jump School advice:

1. Don’t go and get a haircut just to appease the Blackhats. When I left Infantry school my Drill Sergeant pulled the six of us aside that were going to attend Jump school and told us that our haircuts were just fine and the Blackhats were just being bullies. Needless to say, we went to Jump school with “long” hair.

2. Do go and get that “AIRBORNE” tattoo, complete with jump wings, BEFORE you attend jump school. This will set the tone and give notice to your instructors that you mean business and under no circumstances do you intend to quit. In fact it’s customary show the “tat” to the Airborne school 1st Sgt when reporting in to Jump School.

3. If the Airborne PT is not demanding enough that let your Blackhats know. They don’t want you or your class to be the first “easy” class, so inform them they might be setting the PT standards too low. While attending jump school the term “YOU CAN’T SMOKE ME” cannot be used enough

4. Do go and purchase the Airborne, Red Beret. Keep it in your pocket as a sign of your commitment to becoming an Airborne soldier, show it to all your classmates, and don’t forget the also show the Blackhats.

5. On your first day/night off do go to town and throw down a few with your Airborne classmates. Find out where the Rangers like to “kick up their heels” and throw down a few with them, remember to proudly display your “tat” whenever indulging with fellow Airborne soldiers. If you fail to locate the Army Rangers for a friendly round of drinks then the Navy SEALS in your class would be another great group of chaps to go out knock back a few with.

Enjoy!

AIRBORNE!!!!!!
CLASSIC!!!

Terry
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03   #12
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Be careful TS. You may be prosecuted for man slaughter!!

misery is optional.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:13   #13
brownapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
It looks as though I'm probably going to get a slot in Jump School this summer, and as I am merely a cadet at VMI, this will be my first experience with Army training. I noticed that in the Ft. Benning website, they say that the running is 3-5 miles at a 9-10 minute pace, which seems a little underwhelming. In any event, I was looking for any words of wisdom with respect to JS, be they the physical or mental aspects of it. Thanks for the help.

STFU
Do what the blackhats say
Don't quit
Hit the hole
Keep your feet and knees together
Old 01-11-2005, 10:19   #14
scubasam
Asset

QRQ.... Went to Key West.

I love the advice!.. though you forgot it gets really sunny down there and Oakley's are a definite to keep you're eyes in good shape.
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 18:49   #15
12B4S
Quiet Professional

LOL.... yeah I remember a couple guys that showed up at jump school with Airborne tats.
Um, is there a way to play a wav file on here? I have a taps.wav.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote