Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 22:50   #1
Tex
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: VMI/Houston
Posts: 5
Jump School advice

It looks as though I'm probably going to get a slot in Jump School this summer, and as I am merely a cadet at VMI, this will be my first experience with Army training. I noticed that in the Ft. Benning website, they say that the running is 3-5 miles at a 9-10 minute pace, which seems a little underwhelming. In any event, I was looking for any words of wisdom with respect to JS, be they the physical or mental aspects of it. Thanks for the help.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 22:51   #2
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional
 
QRQ 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Williamston, SC
Posts: 2,018
Stay "invisible". Once they get your number the fun begins!
__________________
Whale

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 23:03   #3
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot
 
CPTAUSRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Iowa and New Mexico
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Stay "invisible". Once they get your number the fun begins!
Great advice!

Be the grey man.

Terry
__________________
E7-CW3-direct commission VN
B model gunship pilot 65-66 Soc Trang, Cobra Pilot 68-69-70 Can Tho Life member 101st Airborne Association
CPTAUSRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 23:08   #4
12B4S
Quiet Professional
 
12B4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 754
K TEX.. digging back again.
1. DO NOT pull your reserve while standing in the door!!!
( Yeah, sounds ridiculous, but while waiting to board our aircraft, I saw a guy do just that )
Now for the general training that I remember most (it was June or July '69) the running isn't that bad as long as you have been running, which I know at VMI you are. They LOVE dropping you for pushups. Tons of pushups. and Chinning yourself they were big on that.
DON"T go in June or July lol
And be very nice to the Black Hats, unless you had happened to have spent Freshman year of college with him.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:31   #5
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Physically this is an easy school. There will be complications with the heat during the time you are going so make sure you stay hydrated and eat well. Follow the instructions of the black hats. If you have never jumped before, I can almost guarantee that the first thoughts out of your brain housing group while you are checking your canopy to make sure it opened during you first jump will be to thank whatever deity you believe in and make some silly promise that you will never sin again. Of course, that will be a lie but you will feel better.

That is the good news. The bad news is that the parachute you are using was bought under the Federal Aquisition Regulations which required that the company that got the contract to make it went to the lowest bidder.

Jack Moroney
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:34   #6
Kyobanim
Moderator
 
Kyobanim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,045
don't look down
__________________
"Are you listening or just waiting to talk?"


Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:35   #7
scubasam
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 28
Hey Tex... You need to look into dive school.. you still got time to prep!!!...

P.S. I's VMI '02
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:28   #8
Guy
Quiet Professional
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OCONUS...again
Posts: 4,701
Thumbs up Damn Sir...LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
I can almost guarantee that the first thoughts out of your brain housing group while you are checking your canopy to make sure it opened during you first jump will be to thank whatever deity you believe in and make some silly promise that you will never sin again. Of course, that will be a lie but you will feel better.

Jack Moroney
And if you don't believe in a higher being...Mothers are great substitutes.
__________________
“It is better to have sheep led by a lion than lions led by a sheep.”

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-

Last edited by Guy; 01-11-2005 at 09:52.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:46   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional
 
QRQ 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Williamston, SC
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasam
Hey Tex... You need to look into dive school.. you still got time to prep!!!...

P.S. I's VMI '02
What Dive school would that be -- Belvoir?

Tex do all of the prep, and studying you can but take this to the bank; When you go to any Military School you are best off if you "Don't know nuttin." I have spent a fair amount of time as a UWO instructor and the hardest job is un-training those who already know it all. They bring a lot of extra attention upon themselves.
__________________
Whale

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:55   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional
 
Team Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 20,929
Team Sergeant’s Jump School advice:

1. Don’t go and get a haircut just to appease the Blackhats. When I left Infantry school my Drill Sergeant pulled the six of us aside that were going to attend Jump school and told us that our haircuts were just fine and the Blackhats were just being bullies. Needless to say, we went to Jump school with “long” hair.

2. Do go and get that “AIRBORNE” tattoo, complete with jump wings, BEFORE you attend jump school. This will set the tone and give notice to your instructors that you mean business and under no circumstances do you intend to quit. In fact it’s customary show the “tat” to the Airborne school 1st Sgt when reporting in to Jump School.

3. If the Airborne PT is not demanding enough that let your Blackhats know. They don’t want you or your class to be the first “easy” class, so inform them they might be setting the PT standards too low. While attending jump school the term “YOU CAN’T SMOKE ME” cannot be used enough

4. Do go and purchase the Airborne, Red Beret. Keep it in your pocket as a sign of your commitment to becoming an Airborne soldier, show it to all your classmates, and don’t forget the also show the Blackhats.

5. On your first day/night off do go to town and throw down a few with your Airborne classmates. Find out where the Rangers like to “kick up their heels” and throw down a few with them, remember to proudly display your “tat” whenever indulging with fellow Airborne soldiers. If you fail to locate the Army Rangers for a friendly round of drinks then the Navy SEALS in your class would be another great group of chaps to go out knock back a few with.

Enjoy!

AIRBORNE!!!!!!
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58   #11
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot
 
CPTAUSRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Iowa and New Mexico
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Team Sergeant’s Jump School advice:

1. Don’t go and get a haircut just to appease the Blackhats. When I left Infantry school my Drill Sergeant pulled the six of us aside that were going to attend Jump school and told us that our haircuts were just fine and the Blackhats were just being bullies. Needless to say, we went to Jump school with “long” hair.

2. Do go and get that “AIRBORNE” tattoo, complete with jump wings, BEFORE you attend jump school. This will set the tone and give notice to your instructors that you mean business and under no circumstances do you intend to quit. In fact it’s customary show the “tat” to the Airborne school 1st Sgt when reporting in to Jump School.

3. If the Airborne PT is not demanding enough that let your Blackhats know. They don’t want you or your class to be the first “easy” class, so inform them they might be setting the PT standards too low. While attending jump school the term “YOU CAN’T SMOKE ME” cannot be used enough

4. Do go and purchase the Airborne, Red Beret. Keep it in your pocket as a sign of your commitment to becoming an Airborne soldier, show it to all your classmates, and don’t forget the also show the Blackhats.

5. On your first day/night off do go to town and throw down a few with your Airborne classmates. Find out where the Rangers like to “kick up their heels” and throw down a few with them, remember to proudly display your “tat” whenever indulging with fellow Airborne soldiers. If you fail to locate the Army Rangers for a friendly round of drinks then the Navy SEALS in your class would be another great group of chaps to go out knock back a few with.

Enjoy!

AIRBORNE!!!!!!
CLASSIC!!!

Terry
__________________
E7-CW3-direct commission VN
B model gunship pilot 65-66 Soc Trang, Cobra Pilot 68-69-70 Can Tho Life member 101st Airborne Association
CPTAUSRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03   #12
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional
 
QRQ 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Williamston, SC
Posts: 2,018
Be careful TS. You may be prosecuted for man slaughter!!
__________________
Whale

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:13   #13
brownapple
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
It looks as though I'm probably going to get a slot in Jump School this summer, and as I am merely a cadet at VMI, this will be my first experience with Army training. I noticed that in the Ft. Benning website, they say that the running is 3-5 miles at a 9-10 minute pace, which seems a little underwhelming. In any event, I was looking for any words of wisdom with respect to JS, be they the physical or mental aspects of it. Thanks for the help.

STFU
Do what the blackhats say
Don't quit
Hit the hole
Keep your feet and knees together
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:19   #14
scubasam
Asset
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 28
QRQ.... Went to Key West.

I love the advice!.. though you forgot it gets really sunny down there and Oakley's are a definite to keep you're eyes in good shape.
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 18:49   #15
12B4S
Quiet Professional
 
12B4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 754
LOL.... yeah I remember a couple guys that showed up at jump school with Airborne tats.
Um, is there a way to play a wav file on here? I have a taps.wav.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:13.



Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies