Old 05-02-2009, 05:23   #1
Antons
Asset

DLPT: Latvian

I contacted the Defense Language Institute and found out that there is no DLPT for the language of Latvian. This is due to the fact that I am told that the Latvian language "has not been evaluation by the American Council of Education." Furthermore, I asked if there is any secondary means to judge language proficiency in Latvian within the DLI or armed forces and was told “No ... because you can't get any credits for that Language."

My question is, with the country of Latvia being a NATO member and part of the EU since 2004, does Latvian have any place in SF if it's not one of the more common languages taught within SF? Secondly, how are semi-rare dialects treated if I am being told there is no means to judge proficiency?

I understand the more common answers I've read on the boards of man up, get selected and it will be handled by a case by case basis based upon the needs of the Army. But I am trying to wrap my mind around the thought process that takes place since I've only read threads relating to more commonly used languages that are advertised at the Group level.

Thank you for your time.
Antons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:39   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

There really isnt a need for Latvian within the Army as a whole and SF in particular, which is the reason there isnt a procedure to test out of it.

Latvian would be maintained on your own dime/time just like the many soldiers who speak one of the many African dialects.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:49   #3
Antons
Asset

Roger that.
I was hoping for that answer since the more the better!

Thank you again.
Antons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:58   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

There may not be a 'need' in the Army yet, but there may be a definite need somewhere in government service. Contact the Dept of State's Foreign Service Institute (FSI) which is the language center for the government (SF used to send ffolkes there, too, for some of the more arcane languages) and see about getting tested and registered. One never knows where/when your language/cultural skills might be needed.

Gluck auf.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote