Old 11-05-2005, 22:24   #1
JPH
SF Candidate

Question Hornady TAP

Hornady TAP
USES: Executive Protection, Personal Carry, and another civilian situation.

For QP, LEO, and other ballistics experts, however everyone’s opinion welcome.

Dose anyone have any experience or opinion on the Hornady TAP 124gr and 147gr 9mm round.
Any information relating to this round in any weapon or environment welcome, however my primary concern is info regarding it and a GLOCK 17.
I have got to get some and run a test on it next weekend, I THINK I want to run it as my Duty load? As long as it runs well in my weapon and groups well…
I, having no experience evaluating ballistics, would like to try the 147gr rounds… my thinking being the heavier the better?
I have never shot anything in 9mm heavier than a 124gr. What should I expect am I really going to receive any increases terminal ballistic?
Are these questions showing my level of inexperience? I hope that I am not wasting anyone’s time!!!

With that said I will hold off on further explaining my question. The only other thing I can, at this time, think of that needs to be stated up front is that I am currently running Federal HYDRA-SHOK, and I am only considering switching because as stated above I know next to nothing about ballistics and several individuals who I think know what they are talking about are making this switch from H-S to TAP.

Side note: Admins if this is a rehash that I didn’t find in my search of this page or just a waste of QP’s time remove at your will.

Thanks,
JPH
Old 11-06-2005, 08:12   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

JPH,
read under searched thread : .45 ammo, go down to #45 and start reading....you're questions should be answered

ss

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...9&postcount=46
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH
Hornady TAP
USES: Executive Protection, Personal Carry, and another civilian situation.

For QP, LEO, and other ballistics experts, however everyone’s opinion welcome.

Dose anyone have any experience or opinion on the Hornady TAP 124gr and 147gr 9mm round.
Any information relating to this round in any weapon or environment welcome, however my primary concern is info regarding it and a GLOCK 17.
I have got to get some and run a test on it next weekend, I THINK I want to run it as my Duty load? As long as it runs well in my weapon and groups well…
I, having no experience evaluating ballistics, would like to try the 147gr rounds… my thinking being the heavier the better?
I have never shot anything in 9mm heavier than a 124gr. What should I expect am I really going to receive any increases terminal ballistic?
Are these questions showing my level of inexperience? I hope that I am not wasting anyone’s time!!!

With that said I will hold off on further explaining my question. The only other thing I can, at this time, think of that needs to be stated up front is that I am currently running Federal HYDRA-SHOK, and I am only considering switching because as stated above I know next to nothing about ballistics and several individuals who I think know what they are talking about are making this switch from H-S to TAP.

Side note: Admins if this is a rehash that I didn’t find in my search of this page or just a waste of QP’s time remove at your will.

Thanks,
JPH

I'm not a QP, But I personally carry the Black hills loading of the 124 gr. Gold dot HP. It is a 124 gr bullet doing about 1250. I have had good accuracy and exceptional reliability with this particular load. I have shot some of the TAP ammo as well as some of the Hornady XTP in various loads. Hornady isn't bad ammo, but I prefer the Black Hills.

My .02, YMMV
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 21:47   #4
hotntot
Asset

Tap ammo

Very low flash when shooting in evening hours.
hotntot is offline   Reply With Quote