Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 11-04-2005, 12:57   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

No GWOT CMOHs?

I have not heard of anyone receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor during the GWOT. I find this surprising given that we have been at war now for four years, and there undoubtedly have been a number of men whose valor warrants the honor. CPT (IIRC) Brian Chontosh is one person whose exploits seem to warrant the honor.

Am I wrong that no one has received the CMOH during this conflict? Can someone explain how this process works and why no one has received the award? One would think that the Republicans in Congress would be all over this, not only to reward the deserving, but to publicize the exploits of our people in uniform.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 13:13   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Already one Army winner, and several nominees.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1006552/posts

Your google-fu is weak today, Counselor.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 13:15   #3
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

SFC Paul R. Smith was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumosly for for actions at Bagdhad International Airport.

Marine Corps Sgt. Raphael Peralta is currently in the review process for his actions in Fallujah.
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 13:17   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Already one Army winner, and several nominees.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1006552/posts

Your google-fu is weak today, Counselor.

TR
I plead guilty to weak google-fu. But part of my point is that I am disturbed by the lack of publicity -- should people have to google to learn about the heroism going on in the GWOT?

The first comment in the article you linked sums it up well for me:

Quote:
I wonder why the press doesn't make stories like this known? Oh we probably heard about him dying, but not about the heroics invovled.

BTW: That's a rhetorical question. No answer required.
Old 11-04-2005, 13:24   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Not only is my google-fu weak, but I also failed to search the best place for this sort of information.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=6364

Old 11-04-2005, 14:15   #6
HOLLiS
Area Commander

A little confused here, Isn't it the MOH, and CMOH is a misnomer? Thanks.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 14:22   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS
A little confused here, Isn't it the MOH, and CMOH is a misnomer? Thanks.
CMOH prior to the Vietnam era...i seem to recall the name was officially changed in the early 60s....i believe Roger Donlon was the first to be awarded the MOH, as opposed to the CMOH...i could be wrong...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 16:11   #8
B36reconman
Quiet Professional

gwot cmh

IIRC, SFC Paul smith received the MOH last year...

"A special breed of man will sacrifice everything for the security and freedom of so many unthankful others"

Ron Piper
B36reconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 16:50   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
CMOH prior to the Vietnam era...i seem to recall the name was officially changed in the early 60s....i believe Roger Donlon was the first to be awarded the MOH, as opposed to the CMOH...i could be wrong...
It was CMH. GOOGLE and you will see that now has another meaning. In addition we used to tell people who were acting reckless that they were in line for a CMH, Casket w/ Metal Handles.As a result it became simply the Medal Of Honor.

I believe the marine who single handedly asaulted and over ran entrenched troops is also pending final approval for the MOH. Sometimes the DSC is given as an interim award and upgraded when the MOH is approved. I don't know of this being the case for posthumous awards but IIRC Zabitowski was awarded a DSC for the same action and it was upgraded to MOH.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 17:22   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I have not heard of anyone receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor during the GWOT. I find this surprising given that we have been at war now for four years, and there undoubtedly have been a number of men whose valor warrants the honor. CPT (IIRC) Brian Chontosh is one person whose exploits seem to warrant the honor.

Am I wrong that no one has received the CMOH during this conflict? Can someone explain how this process works and why no one has received the award? One would think that the Republicans in Congress would be all over this, not only to reward the deserving, but to publicize the exploits of our people in uniform.

Too busy watching basketball....... Very Sad.

ATTENTION TO ORDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of Congress the Medal of Honor to

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith
United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

I will not forget SFC Smith.
Old 11-04-2005, 19:06   #11
Airbornelawyer

The lack of publicity given to SFC Smith and other heroes brings discredit on the media.

Besides SFC Smith's MOH, and the pending nomination of Sgt. Rafael Peralta, there have also been a few awards of the next tier of decorations that have gotten little attention. So far, the Army has awarded 3 Distinguished Service Crosses, the Air Force has awarded 2 Air Force Crosses and the Navy has awarded 10 Navy Crosses.

One DSC was for Afghanistan, and was posthumous. The other two were for Iraq and were to living recipients. All three were involved in ARSOF.

Both Air Force Crosses were for Afghanistan and were posthumous (and both were to special operations personnel).

Two of the Navy Crosses were posthumous awards to SEALs for Afghanistan. One other Navy award was to a corpsman serving with a Marine unit in Iraq. The other 7 were to Marines in Iraq. Several of these were posthumous, but I'm not sure of the exact number.

The citations may be read here: http://homeofheroes.com/verify/02_wot/index.html
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 19:19   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I know two of the DSC winners.

Both are SF officers, both are still alive. I was unaware that the MSG who got his with the Marines was killed. The one from OEF was awarded his at a ceremony held at USSOCOM. I thought that they all survived.

There have been few public pronouncements.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:50   #13
HOLLiS
Area Commander

QRQ and lksteve, thanks. I check a Army site, "Center for Military History". There is no mention of the change but it seemed to have changed around the RVN period. There is another site too, both on the History, citations. The Army site had some interesting stats, seems prior to WWII receiving the Medal and still being alive to receive it was very common, after WWII, that was not the case. In my Battalion we had three Marines who received the MOH, two from my company. They were all KIAed.

On Fox news, they said only about 4% of the coverage of the war is positive. I think the media is doing a GREAT disservice to the American People.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:35   #14
Tuukka
Guerrilla

Of the three DSC recipients that I have seen published, none of them were posthumous.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:31   #15
Sinister
Quiet Professional

Heroes

We are in the process of re-naming a re-activated range at Fort Benning, Georgia. If approved Brinson Range (formerly a TOW/DRAGON tracking range named for the post Range Officer) will become Krilling Range (Close Quarters Combat Marksmanship) for Master Sergeant Bill Krilling, Distinguished Service Cross.

In researching his award and citation we found the original recommendation for "The Blue Max" came down to a General Officer asking "Will he survive his wounds?"

The answer was "Yes," and I am told it was then down-graded to the DSC.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote