Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-08-2004, 17:15   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Another stick

Maybe this one is too obvious in this crowd, but let's try it:

"Don't ask, don't tell." Discuss.

And you can talk about gay marriage too if you want.

NDD, didn't you say you were going to find a lib?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 17:16   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Why hasn't "don't ask, don't tell" been repealed?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:25   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'm your huckleberry.

Repealed? Is it a law?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 17:26   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'm your huckleberry.

Repealed? Is it a law?
Policy, law, whatever. Isn't it still the policy of the DOD?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:38   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I don't know.
I've got a good one on another board. College boy just told me that being gay is biological but not genetic. His Social Science and Studies professor told him so and unless I have a doctorate in social science I need to STFU and I am a dumbass. And his professor told him to say that if anyone tried to tell him different.

I am explaining to my new friend how I didn't sign the social contract, so he needs to watch the name calling. I made him cry yesterday. LOL

Anyway,
I think there have always been gay people in the military and "Don't ask, Don't tell" is just a catchy way of appeasing a voting block by Clinton. I would imagine SP4 justice would take care of it as it always has when it becames an "in your face" type of issue.

I would doubt that gay people would tend to gravitate towards units like SF for several reasons, not the least being peer pressure and the impossibility of keeping it "don't tell" in a Team environment.

I personally don't have a problem with them serving as long as they "don't tell." And not just gays. I don't want to know the sexual habits of anybody in the military. There are a lot of people that have weird ideas and not just in the sexual arena. I don't want to know who is a member of the John Birch Society, who likes to be tied up, etc. As long as it doesn't affect the unit, how would I know?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:38   #6
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Policy, law, whatever. Isn't it still the policy of the DOD?
I would think there is a big difference in terms of who has to be swayed to change the current status quo.

DoD policy would not have to be passed through Congress would it? Whereas if it is a law... it will never change in our current PC political climate. Who knows which it is?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:40   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Did my answer surprise you?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:41   #8
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
College boy just told me that being gay is biological but not genetic.
What does that mean?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:42   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Did my answer surprise you?
No. You're a communist, so it makes perfect sense.
Old 03-08-2004, 17:50   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
What does that mean?
Well, what I think it means is that they didn't choose to be gay as a choice, but since it has been proven to not be genetic, it must be biological.

My current question to him (as yet ignored) is well, they must have caught it like a disease then?

LOL
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:59   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

My understanding from discussing the issue with gays and lesbians is that it is not a choice, but rather some sort of preprogrammed disposition. If that is true, I think it becomes more difficult to distinguish between sexual orientation and other characteristics like race for purposes of social policy.

On the other hand, the line must be drawn somewhere -- you're not going to just accept the fact that someone was born to murder or molest children or animals. So where do you draw the line?
Old 03-08-2004, 18:00   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I don't know.
I've got a good one on another board. College boy just told me that being gay is biological but not genetic. His Social Science and Studies professor told him so and unless I have a doctorate in social science I need to STFU and I am a dumbass. And his professor told him to say that if anyone tried to tell him different.
I enjoy when people tell me that, that it’s a biological disorder and not one of conscious decision. So is cancer, so are a number of diseases. I would have asked college boy if that applies to pedophiles, serial rapists and all the other sick perverted bastards? And when he answers yes then ask why were depriving them of their civil rights? Maybe because of the widely held impression is that they are mentally sick.

The question is where does one draw the line in the sand?

Team Sergeant
Old 03-08-2004, 18:01   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I heard on TV the other day that most Americans oppose gay marriage, but they support "civil unions." The distinction is that they will tolerate homosexuals, but not endorse their behavior.
Old 03-08-2004, 18:02   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
The question is where does one draw the line in the sand?
Brilliant, just brilliant. LOL
Old 03-08-2004, 18:03   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My understanding from discussing the issue with gays and lesbians is that it is not a choice, but rather some sort of preprogrammed disposition.
Uh, how is this different than genetic?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?