Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00   #1
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals
 
Bill Harsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon, Land of the Silver Grey Sunsets
Posts: 3,886
Australian Beers

This thread is dedicated to Maisy who has taken all of us Yanks to task for drinking
bad beer.

Ok, what are the best Australian beers?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere
 
Roguish Lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland (at last)
Posts: 8,845
Foster's doesn't count, right Brew?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:33   #3
tyrsnbdr
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On orders to 1st SFG
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Foster's doesn't count, right Brew?
Isn't that Australian for Beer?
tyrsnbdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:19   #4
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief
 
brewmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the land of the little people
Posts: 761
I am curious as to what Maisy is calling "good aussie beer" because I have never had one...

They have a craft beer following in Oz but from what I know from my Aussie brethern is that it is somewhat limited. Because their beer is heavily taxed they have seen an increase in homebrewing and people shying away from draft beer.

I would not use a Fosters can to piss in and the stuff from Castlemaine (XXXX) is hardly what I would call beer.

Of course I am WIDE open for Maisy to send me some samples of the local stuff and I will be glad to "judge" it following BJCP guidlines and then post my thoughts and opinions...
__________________
An Army of sheep led by a lion can easily defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29   #5
alphamale
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Uh-oh! Maisy, hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast...

Call M1 for shotgun cover if needed. I'll snipe as appropriate.



FrontSight (who has extremely wimpy beer tastes)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:36   #6
jatx
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
Uh-oh! Maisy, hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast...

Call M1 for shotgun cover if needed. I'll snipe as appropriate.



FrontSight (who has extremely wimpy beer tastes)
Using a shotgun to provide overwatch sounds like a basic failure of planning...
__________________
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:53   #7
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
Uh-oh! Maisy, hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast...

Call M1 for shotgun cover if needed. I'll snipe as appropriate.



FrontSight (who has extremely wimpy beer tastes)
FS, considering your previous demands for favors, let's turn the table.

For what I did for you, you do anything for TR. According to his wishes.

I'm sure you agree.

Ciao!

Martin

Last edited by Martin; 08-29-2005 at 12:55.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 14:27   #8
uboat509
Quiet Professional
 
uboat509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
I am curious as to what Maisy is calling "good aussie beer" because I have never had one...

They have a craft beer following in Oz but from what I know from my Aussie brethern is that it is somewhat limited. Because their beer is heavily taxed they have seen an increase in homebrewing and people shying away from draft beer.

I would not use a Fosters can to piss in and the stuff from Castlemaine (XXXX) is hardly what I would call beer.

Of course I am WIDE open for Maisy to send me some samples of the local stuff and I will be glad to "judge" it following BJCP guidlines and then post my thoughts and opinions...
Actually I liked the Castlemaine XXXX. The Aussies called it lunatic stew and we would drink it by the barrel. VB was OK but not my favorite. I was only there for a month but I never once saw an Australian drink Fosters or use the word "crikey." Most of the Australians I met are actually embarrased by Steve Irwin because he projects a very skewed image of Australians.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 14:48   #9
Tuukka
Guerrilla
 
Tuukka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 400
Well, i mainly drink the local brands with some dark Velko at times.
__________________
RECON - Always a step ahead
Tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 16:13   #10
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief
 
brewmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the land of the little people
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat509
Actually I liked the Castlemaine XXXX. The Aussies called it lunatic stew and we would drink it by the barrel. VB was OK but not my favorite. I was only there for a month but I never once saw an Australian drink Fosters or use the word "crikey." Most of the Australians I met are actually embarrased by Steve Irwin because he projects a very skewed image of Australians.

SFC W

When my father was with ARPERCEN (the old RCPAC) our neighbors were from Oz and other then the accent and an occassional "all right mate!" you would have thought he was from back east like me.

As for beer, having had the job I did I am spoiled.
__________________
An Army of sheep led by a lion can easily defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 13:01   #11
Tuukka
Guerrilla
 
Tuukka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Foster's doesn't count, right Brew?
The last conversation with an Aussie, while having some some nice German sausage and beer...

"I´ve heard Fosters's isnt that well regarded with you fellas"

"Yes, its true, thats the piss we sell to the foreigners"

"Thats what I thought"
__________________
RECON - Always a step ahead
Tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 13:22   #12
Spartan359
Guerrilla
 
Spartan359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The state that can't count it's ballots.
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka
The last conversation with an Aussie, while having some some nice German sausage and beer...

"I´ve heard Fosters's isnt that well regarded with you fellas"

"Yes, its true, thats the piss we sell to the foreigners"

"Thats what I thought"
I asked the same question to some women in Australia and got the same answer.

Martin, are you holding out on us? Oh do tell.
__________________
"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me".

-Isaiah 6:8
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 13:25   #13
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals
 
Bill Harsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon, Land of the Silver Grey Sunsets
Posts: 3,886
We come all the way down here to try and talk about beer and within one page we have FS and nudity.

This might be a new record.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 13:46   #14
Spartan359
Guerrilla
 
Spartan359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The state that can't count it's ballots.
Posts: 429
Heh heh what's everyone's favorite Aussie beer?
__________________
"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me".

-Isaiah 6:8
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies