Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 08-28-2005, 19:15   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

MAT Turn-E-Ket

http://www.matourniquet.com/
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 20:02   #2
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Sneaky,

This is really supposed to be an outstanding piece of gear. Gomez has been playing around w/ the various TQs for over a year now (he had one sent to me [IIRC it was called the SOFT-T or something similar] when I was @ SOLO last Aug.) The MAT TQ is his favorite of what he's evaluated and he told me Thur night that he was sending me a copy of a report from a test that rated it the best of several tested. I'll send you a copy of the eval when I get it.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 20:35   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Yeah, I'm hearing good things as well. If Big Man is GTG with it, just post the eval for all to see.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:32   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

We're looking at it also for the civilian side with traumatic amputations and bleed outs from other wounds.
So far, it has ease of use, nearly foolproof (until they build a better fool!!)
our medics and SWAT guys can apply it quickly with 1 or 2 people or self applied. I like the fact that it is built wider than others on the market. I'm also looking at the S.A.T.S. which has a different 'buckle' mechanism and locking clamp. Going to give both a good workout and then be able to recommend to our local/regional tac-med operators as well as local/regional and possibly state EMS.
the web sites do a good job of demonstrating and after applying both to my arms and legs I get less 'pain/pinch' with the MAT

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 15:23   #5
Maya

It looks like this same company has a pelvic stabilizing product, TPOD, that would be a great addition to the bag-o-tricks. It's pricey though, $98.00 for a one time use product. Has anyone used this product?

Thanks,

Maya
Old 09-24-2005, 11:11   #6
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

I've tried it in the trauma room and once in the field....take my advice, sheets are free and work just as well if someone teaches you the proper technique for applying them to stabilize pelvic fx's.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 09-26-2005, 06:10   #7
52bravo
Auxiliary

SS
like to here proper way.
If we are going to ask one of our combat medics to undertake a medical treatment in the middle of a firefight, then we need to be as sure as possible that the benefit resulting from this treatment is going to be worth the risk.
52bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37   #8
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

sheet technique to providing pelvic 'stability' for suspected open book fractures:
- best performed by 2 people but can be done with one
-place a folded bed sheet under patient that is ~12 wide with upper border as high as/along 'hip bone'
-cross sheet over patient, each person pulling slow and steady, putting pressure across front of pelvis....slowly!!.
-once max tension across pelvis, maintain the 'pull'; each person handing off their side as to wrap/twist the sheet to maintain the tension
- once it is wrapped/twisted enough (4-6x), tape or tuck ends under the 'knot' to prevent unwrapping
- leave on as long as necessary or until doc removes it in trauma room or E.D.
- to harm done if there was no fracture: unlike MAST trousers, no need to intubate with maximum inflation/tension

I'll look for a link that shows a vid clip of this.

ss

Old 09-26-2005, 08:06   #9
52bravo
Auxiliary

some say also to tape feet together what is you word on that
If we are going to ask one of our combat medics to undertake a medical treatment in the middle of a firefight, then we need to be as sure as possible that the benefit resulting from this treatment is going to be worth the risk.
52bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 14:16   #10
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

I've never heard of taping the feet...not sure what it woulsd accomplish other than not allowing abduction of either leg, but usually, pain prevents much movement anyway......and hog tying is out of vogue right now....

Old 09-26-2005, 14:30   #11
Maya

So you're out in the boonies with std. kit, and you are now facing an unstable pelvis with unknown internal bleeding. The kit has cravats but no sheet, what other resources would be viable alternatives for stabilizing the pelvic region? What do members carry that might serve multiple secenario situations. Maybe a thermal shelter mylar sheet/blanket would do the trick? It also doesn't take much space or a weight hit.

Best Regards,

Maya
Old 09-26-2005, 15:54   #12
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

the key to the wrap is the width...you need just enough length to perform the cross-over and twist.
mylar, if it is strong enough and won't rip should work.

Old 11-03-2005, 16:11   #13
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Well, we tourtured a few of the MATs at our Tac-Med course last week.(FYI: what used to be the H&K sponsored Tactical Medicine course is now the International School of Tactical Medicine...much improved in my opinion)

The MATs were used by all personnel, including people that had never placed a tourniquet. It was matched against the SAT, CAT and a few other assorted less known devices.
The overwhelming partyline was the MAT was most favored for ease of use, fulfilling all criteria recently published by the armed forced university (uniformed services univ.) position paper....ratchet or buckle (mechanical) to tighten, > 1 1/4 inch width, self applied. A few comments were made that I discussed with the ?owner of MAT. Had operator induced failures: broke ratchet key but leatherman tool salvaged it by turning small knob to tighten. None failed while on although they carried someone by using the device as a carry handle....too much torque was my quess.
Overall, it has my endorsement. Take a look at it, I believe it fits everyones need for a reliable tourniquet.

ss

Old 11-03-2005, 17:38   #14
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Good to hear. I haven't rec'd anything more from Gomez on the MAT. FWIW, from the little playing around that I've done w/ the SOFT-T (I think that's what it's called) and a generic ratchet TQ, I'm underwhelmed. It seems to me that a triangular bandage, prefolded and wrapped w/ duct tape, split key rings, and a carpenter's pencil work about as well, are about as easy to apply, and take up less room.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 14:08   #15
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

I don't know if you know, but the MAT wasn't approved for use by the military, in a study by the US Army Institute of Surgical Research. They only approved the CAT, the SOFTT, and one other, which I don't know the name of. I'll try to get some more info soon, and post whatever I get. I just don't want someone to buy it, if it doesn't work 100% of the time, no matter how it is used.

I've carried the SOFTT for the past 3 1/2 years, used them on a couple differant occasions, and it has always worked. The only problem I have ever heard about them is that the screw can get rusty, but if you do a proper PMCS that won't be an issue. I've seen the CAT, and known people who have carried it, and the biggest complaint with them, is that the handle breaks if you apply to much pressure.

just my 2 cents

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine

Last edited by Max_Tab; 11-08-2005 at 14:15.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote