Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-26-2005, 16:07   #1
Griv
Quiet Professional

Linguistics and SF

I recently took the DLAB at MEPS and scored an 83. I know this is not a good enough score to qualify for any languages at the DLI(?) so will I have to retake the test later in training? I know I can do 10x better on it if I retested and I want to learn a language. My recruiter and others are saying that you do not take the DLAB to pass or fail if you are 18X...a bit confusing!
Griv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 17:08   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griv
I recently took the DLAB at MEPS and scored an 83...I know I can do 10x better on it if I retested and I want to learn a language.
Wow, an 830 on the DLAB would be a truly impressive score! You might be offered Klingon with that kind of performance; good luck!
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 17:34   #3
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

I understand that the DLAB is required, and I also know that I sucked at the DLAB having never taken it till I already had a DLPT score in 2 languages. If its going to hold you up, and you have had any language training in High School then I would try and take the DLPT in that language. Just to have something on paper other than a low score on the DLAB.
Old 05-26-2005, 18:51   #4
Achilles
SF Candidate

From what I head prior to enlisting... Taking the DLAB is required, but there is no minimum score for 18X entry...

I got a 121 or 124 (not sure) and I thought it was crap because my buddy got 138(bastard) and I didn't have anyone else to compare myself with. To me, it seemed more like an analytical IQ test than anything else. There's probably a good chance you could learn languages faster than I could. If you're already bilingual, then follow the route psywar suggested... If not, don't worry about it. Just give it 100% and see what happens. What we lack in aptitude we can make up for in effort.

Good luck!!
Old 05-26-2005, 20:35   #5
Griv
Quiet Professional

thx for the laugh razor - iv had experience with French and Spanish but only on beginner level early in Highschool. I still understand the structure of them but can remember nada as far as holding a conversation. Guess they will make sure i get what i need to get done.
Old 06-01-2005, 13:20   #6
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

A guy in my Arabic class got an 85 on the DLAB and he's doing just fine. Don't let a low score discourage you too much.
Old 06-02-2005, 15:16   #7
Griv
Quiet Professional

thx D9 for that inside intel - my recruiter obv doesnt know what hes talking about -- who would have thought
Old 06-02-2005, 16:18   #8
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9
A guy in my Arabic class got an 85 on the DLAB and he's doing just fine. Don't let a low score discourage you too much.

Sounds like needs of the Army.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 17:40   #9
SnafuRacer
Auxiliary

I took the DLAB at Ft Benning, and scored an 85. The lady said that I'd most certainly wouldn't be given any "choice" languages, since my brain doesn't have the capability to process hard languages. Obviously, she didn't know that my brain was able to process Arabic and French at that time fluently, in addition to English that I learned in this country, and German and Spanish that I had passing proficiency in. Some of these idiots baffle me. A language is like riding a bike. You don't forget it, but you have to use it or lose it. I've been in San Diego 4 years already, and forgot almost all my german.
SnafuRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 21:22   #10
FrankS
On Probation

Ich auch.

Ja genau ich bin shon fuer 20 so jahren in den staten und langsam verliereh mein Deutsh.

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57   #11
Airbornelawyer

The dumbest knucklehead who grew up in Shanghai speaks Mandarin better than 90% of DLI grads. Anyone can learn any language if immersed in it; sometimes it is just harder for you to unlearn habits from your own language. The DLAB doesn't measure aptitude to learn languages so much as aptitude to unlearn English - to move beyond the habits and shortcuts you picked up over the years of speaking English and see the patterns that make learning a structurally different language possible.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:10   #12
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

It's an admin requirement. As long as you take the test, I wouldn't worry about the score. Personally I've never seen where score correlated with actual aptitude. Mine was an 89. I've had a 3/3 in Spanish since I left DLI in 83. Other guys who went for more difficult languages have similar stories to tell. If Group wants/needs you to learn a language - they'll spend the money to make it happen. You do your part and the Army will have to give you language proficiency pay for the rest of your career (extra beer money). FWIW - When I went out there to go to school I was told by the instructors that the DLAB was originally developed by the State Department to measure language aptitude but they quit using it because it was not a reliable indicator of potential and definitely not worth the money they spent developing and administering it. According to my source the Army promptly took to it like a cult religion and now we can't get rid of it. I don't know how true that statement was but it passed my common sense filters. We've all seen similar things with "good ideas" that some bureaucrat has invested his name in that now can't be killed with a stake through the heart. My .02 - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 14:21   #13
AmericanPride

If D9 can pass Arabic you should be good to go. He can't even stand up straight and walk at the same time.
Old 06-28-2005, 14:57   #14
Prester John
Quiet Professional

When I signed my contract I was told I didn't even need to take the DLAB. They said it would be administered at a later date. All 18X candidates will study languages of some sort, so it wasn't important to determine proficiency at enlistment.
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 18:10   #15
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prester John
When I signed my contract I was told I didn't even need to take the DLAB. They said it would be administered at a later date. All 18X candidates will study languages of some sort, so it wasn't important to determine proficiency at enlistment.
what part of Defense Language Aptitude Battery has to do with proficiency?
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote