Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-15-2005, 04:39   #1
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Beating Tunnel Vision

Anyone have any tricks or tactics to beat tunnel vision?
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Train hard and get hit a lot.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:53   #3
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Train hard and get hit a lot.

Umkay...what about when guns come into play?

I have been told to constantly scan from side to side and in the few times that I have started to get tunnel vision (from real fights) it has worked.

Just for clarification I rarely (if ever) experience tunnel vision while training....I think it is the subconscience kicking in and not allowing a true fight or flight response to occur, because in the back of my head the real stress isn't there.

Am I just not training hard enough???
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I wouldn't say not training hard enough, perhaps you just need more stress. This is just my opinion, but tunnel vision is induced by stress. So the more you train under more stress, the more you will adapt. That is why the search for more realistic training is ever ongoing.
Knowing what causes it and that it is happening is half the battle.

Scanning, continuous movement, etc. are all good practices and help.

Try doing SIMs with more than one opponent. If you lose, you have to bend over and take a free one in the ass. Very good for inducing stress.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49   #5
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Try doing SIMs with more than one opponent. If you lose, you have to bend over and take a free one in the ass. Very good for inducing stress.
NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!

I will take a free SIM round in the leg, arm, chest, or back, but I ain't bending over and taking anything in the ass.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43   #6
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!

...but I ain't bending over and taking anything in the ass
...ever again.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

SJ - Maybe the threat of "one up the A**" is what you need to kick in the next level of stress. Seriously, this is one of the issues I'm working on for TR. The short answer (not mine - remember, there's no such thing as an original thought - especially in this line of work) is: "We train to overcome - not to enhance - instinct". Check out the book "Training at the Speed of Life" by Kenneth R. Murray, available from http://www.armiger.net. It's a good discussion of reality based training. TR loaned me his copy and I've been browsing it as time permits. Additionally, the book and website both have quality lists of other books that will aid you in your never-ending quest "young Jedi" (yes - very tongue in cheek). Most training providers/programs say the same things, the issue is "which flavor gets the message across to you the best". Force on force training with marking cartridges is the only non-lethal labratory where you can BEGIN to explore efficacy of principles and tactics. Probably preaching to the choir but please do not confuse gaming (paintball) with training. Quality training (and a good team) will make you a better paintballer but being a good paintballer does not mean you have what it takes to survive a lethal encounter. Issues like "cover for paintball/MILES is not necessarilly cover for bullets" among other deficiencies in that training model. Another critical and often overlooked factor is "training scars" - bad habits imprinted during training that can get you killed in the real world. Just some of the stuff you will wind up exploring as you find the answers to your question. Note - "as you find the answers". Anybody can point you in a direction - only you can make the answers your own. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Practicing scanning and force on force with Sims.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:24   #9
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

As always thank you Gentlemen.
Old 03-15-2005, 13:01   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Anyone have any tricks or tactics to beat tunnel vision?
Yes I do, buy some raffle tickets and we'll go shooting again!

Team Sergeant
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 13:41   #11
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Check with the pilots. I had an XO once who said they learned to be aware of everything in the periphery while looking in a particular direction. Scanning can overcome limited field of vision but having a wide field of vision is what I would think you are looking for.

OTOH try oxygen. You may be suffering from CO poisoning.

One of the most totally aware peoplreI ever saw was Bobby Hurley who played point guard for Duke. He seemed to have 360 degree awaremess. To bad he couldn't drive. He went to Sacramento (I think) and wrecked his truck and ended his vareer.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 14:49   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Not up the rectum - in the ass. It's also a good way to get faster from the draw. Draw against a partner and fire. The loser has to turn around and take one in the cheek. Very effective. You will grow eyes in the back of your head and be fast like Billy The Kid after about three go 'rounds.

Penalties for losing are very stress inducing - the greater the penalty, the more the stress. Of course the ultimate penalty in a firefight is the ultimate stress inducer - but dedicated training partners can be hard to find.

The 18D course used to culminate in a trauma exercise. Pass or fail. If you passed, odds were great you would wear a beret shortly. If you failed, you went "Needs of the Army". Whole thing had a max time limit of 20 minutes. Relatively simple exercise practiced a thousand times during the course. Except for under fire, I have never experienced or witnessed anything else like it in my life. It will definitely separate the wheat from the chaff.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-15-2005, 14:54   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Yes I do, buy some raffle tickets and we'll go shooting again!

Team Sergeant
Joe, if the TS moves out of your field a vision with a 2x4 in his hand - my advice would be to duck immediately after taking the shot. Trust me, I'm a medic, I know things....
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-15-2005, 16:05   #14
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Joe, if the TS moves out of your field a vision with a 2x4 in his hand - my advice would be to duck immediately after taking the shot. Trust me, I'm a medic, I know things....

There you go with that "Five Rings" thing again.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 21:30   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Joe:

I'll do this exercise with you under TS's supervision. No video!

RL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote