Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 16:48   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
BMT (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Red State
Posts: 3,774
Credit Card Debt

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/expo...reditcard.html

BMT
__________________
Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
BMT (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 00:38   #2
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief
 
brewmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the land of the little people
Posts: 761
Man that is a lot of debt.

While I am not a fan of bankruptcy after the last few years I can see how some people would have to file to protect themselves.

If I had not had medical insurance or even a decent policy and had to go through the surgeries and procedures that I did it would have added up to close to $300K US. Thankfully I had the insurance and my end was no where near that.

I would like to see this new bill they have proposed to have some protection for medical issues. A good deal of people who run in to the problems of racking up medical bills tend to also not be able to work and therefore may not have the income to repay anything at some point. Through no fault of their own, their injuries may prevent that.

However, I am all for changing the laws that would not let people with those kind of credit card balances get away scott free, unless they had used those cards for their medical expenses. You rack up that kind of debt and I bet you find that it is for expensive dinners, clothes, trips etc...

It bothers me that some states have laws that allow rich folks to put their money into giant homes that cost millions and are untouchable during a bankruptcy while the rest of the country gets to worry if they will be moving to the nearest highway overpass.

Sorry for the rambling but my situation has really opened my eyes to some issues that I either did not care about or was a strong opponent of before.
__________________
An Army of sheep led by a lion can easily defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
brewmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06   #3
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER
 
Sacamuelas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gulf coast
Posts: 1,906
I feel your pain Brew....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
Man that is a lot of debt.

If I had not had medical insurance or even a decent policy and had to go through the surgeries and procedures that I did it would have added up to close to $300K US
Ahhhhhh grasshopper....Do not be upset. My twins racked up 1.6 MILLION dollars worth of medical bills during the first 15 weeks of their lives. THAT doesn't even include all the actual MD bills for the specialists during that time frame.

Of course, they had mucho specialty consults and visits after that first 3 months that didn't go into that total either. And let's don't even go into the multiple minor little surgeries the wife had due to a testy little bout with cancer over the last three years. I know ALL about medical bills. copays, and deductibles.

But here is the kicker.... I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN...Even if I had to crawl naked through broken glass and then swim through a pool of rubbing alchohol just to write the checks and pay my portions of the bills. There is no better care anywhere in the world.... Our Docs and our medical technology are worth every penny.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 20:45   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere
 
Roguish Lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland (at last)
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
My twins racked up 1.6 MILLION dollars worth of medical bills during the first 15 weeks of their lives. THAT doesn't even include all the actual MD bills for the specialists during that time frame.

Of course, they had mucho specialty consults and visits after that first 3 months that didn't go into that total either. And let's don't even go into the multiple minor little surgeries the wife had due to a testy little bout with cancer over the last three years. I know ALL about medical bills. copays, and deductibles.
Wow. We're going to start calling you "Jobbreaker."
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 18:52   #5
dennisw
Area Commander
 
dennisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pinehurst,NC
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN...Even if I had to crawl naked through broken glass and then swim through a pool of rubbing alchohol
Sounds like a good pay per view special. You might make some money on that deal. Maybe RL can do the legal work.
__________________
Let us conduct ourselves in such a fashion that all nations wish to be our friends and all fear to be our enemies. The Virtues of War - Steven Pressfield
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 18:53   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere
 
Roguish Lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland (at last)
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw
Sounds like a good pay per view special. You might make some money on that deal. Maybe RL can do the legal work.
I have friends at Fox. I'm sure they would want to air it.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 19:09   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,837
Definitely reality TV material, but I think I saw that stunt already on Fear Factor.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 20:33   #8
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER
 
Sacamuelas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gulf coast
Posts: 1,906
Talking LOL.... pick on the martyr huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I have friends at Fox. I'm sure they would want to air it.
Oh yeah... Mr. CBA rings in again with his "contacts". Before you get us all revved up for a special primetime broadcast, I believe the show would have to include more air time than 2/10 seconds of film exposing the backside of my head to make the show a success. I don't think your contacts have enough juice for this one. Wait, maybe you could inlude me into a NYPD Blues episode huh? LOL


NOTE: since you've been two IQ points from mentally retarded lately on your acronyms , let me help. CBA = cool by association; LOL= laugh out loud; and just a reminder for you.... DOL= I still can't believe you didn't know that one, just think...NDD praised you for coming so far just yesterday. HAHA

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 03-17-2005 at 20:36.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 20:35   #9
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER
 
Sacamuelas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gulf coast
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw
Sounds like a good pay per view special.
WTF? You want to pay $45 to see me crawl around naked??? Team Sergeant!!!!!! We got another one over here!!!!! LOL

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 03-17-2005 at 20:58.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 20:36   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,837
Alas, Poor RL, We Knew Him Well...

I think RL must be conducting some sort of "drinkathon" on his nationwide trip.

He used to be much sharper than that, I just hope that the brain damage isn't permanent.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 21:11   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere
 
Roguish Lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland (at last)
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I think RL must be conducting some sort of "drinkathon" on his nationwide trip.

He used to be much sharper than that, I just hope that the brain damage isn't permanent.

TR
LOL

Oh shit, what does that mean again?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies