Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-08-2005, 18:16   #1
3dfxMM
Asset

Basic Q's from a parent

This is my first post here although I have been reading these forums for a while now. My son just graduated OSUT at Ft. Benning last Friday. Two days before he graduated he was informed that he was being switched from his 11B contract to an 18X contract. He had volunteered several weeks before but was assuming that it wasn't going to happen. He was, of course, thrilled to be told this news. He just started BAC yesterday. Since this was sprung on us rather suddenly at his Turning Blue ceremony, I have a few questions that he was not able to answer yet.

He is an E-2. I saw that recruits that come in with 18X contracts are promoted to E-3 after they graduate OSUT or BAC. Does this mean that he will likely be promoted soon?

Is he likely to get any leave between BAC and reporting to Ft. Bragg?

I am asking more for me than for him since he will be told all that he needs to know.
3dfxMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 18:26   #2
Kyobanim

More than likely it will depend upon what the contract says. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along with the correct answer.

Congrats to your son.

By your screen name I would guess you're a graphic artist?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 18:33   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Questions

Rest easy and know that when he completes training he will be serving with the best soldiers in the army.

He will get leave when he can, or wants it. I found the life to be so much fun I didn't take my first leave for 2 years.

He will tell you what he can or what he thinks you want to hear. Being new to the life he may try and spare you from worrying by not telling you everything.

Support is the best thing you can give him. If he fails out somewhere along the line he'll need it.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 20:29   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

1. Welcome to the board.
2. Please fill in your profile.
3. Are you his mom or his dad?
4. You've done all you can do to raise him. I know it's hard but all you can do now is support him. Time to give him to First Sergeant Bobby S. for polishing. Just remember, the edge of that ramp is the last step to becoming a man!

LOL - Did I buy into that recruiting/reenlistment propaganda or what?

At the end of the day, if he makes it, he may be a lot of things. But one thing nobody will ever be able to say about him again is he's "just an average guy."
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 20:50   #5
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Just remember, the edge of that ramp is the last step to becoming a man!...LOL - Did I buy into that recruiting/reenlistment propaganda or what?
yo' mind's bad...LOL

[/QUOTE]At the end of the day, if he makes it, he may be a lot of things. [/QUOTE]

and, the truth be known, he'll still be one of our sons...just like we were....
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 21:00   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
yo' mind's bad...LOL

and, the truth be known, he'll still be one of our sons...just like we were....
Yeah, and I want to see his face when he finds out his "mom" was doing some intel gathering for him on a Special Forces Website!......

I hope he makes it through the course!!!!!

Team Sergeant
(Raised by a pack of wild Nuns)
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 21:07   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Yeah, and I want to see his face when he finds out his "mom" was doing some intel gathering for him on a Special Forces Website!......
assets are assets...and you wouldn't drop a dime on him, would you...?
hell, yes you would...

a pack of wild nuns...hmmm...so you are the product of a virgin birth?

or were they like the nuns at the Black Angus in San Juan PR....?
Old 02-08-2005, 21:27   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

Nuns in the Black Angus????

The last time I was in the Black Angus was when the PR first dudes were raising hell on the island. The navy had placed it OFF LIMITS to all military folks. Of course that meant it was the first place we went to when we got to town.

That was also the trip that the HALO team just about burned down the local home of the soiled doves up in the mountains. The HALO guys were having a right good time until the local boys showed up after a day in the fields. They didn't take to kindly to the SF guys hoggin' the girls and a good altercation was just getting started when we drove up in a 2 1/2 ton. The home team's knives were about 2 feet longer than our boy's and they had to beat a hasty retreat out the front door. To slow pursuit a start cluster was fired through the door and into the bar area. The guys jumped into the back of the truck shouting "GO, GO, GO" and we ripped off down the street. The locals quickly turned to put the fires out.

Not a good day for cross cultural communications.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 21:30   #9
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
The last time I was in the Black Angus was when the PR first dudes were raising hell on the island.
my most lasting memory of the Black Angus is not appropriate for this thread...
Old 02-08-2005, 23:18   #10
3dfxMM
Asset

Quote:
1. Welcome to the board.
2. Please fill in your profile.
3. Are you his mom or his dad?
4. You've done all you can do to raise him. I know it's hard but all you can do now is support him. Time to give him to First Sergeant Bobby S. for polishing. Just remember, the edge of that ramp is the last step to becoming a man!

LOL - Did I buy into that recruiting/reenlistment propaganda or what?

At the end of the day, if he makes it, he may be a lot of things. But one thing nobody will ever be able to say about him again is he's "just an average guy."
1. Thanks.
2. I already did.
3. Dad
4. I know. We have made it clear both in words and actions that we support his decision to enlist no matter where it may take him. It's his life, not ours. That doesn't mean that I am not extremely curious about the whole process. He is my son and I am interested in his chosen profession by extension.
Old 02-08-2005, 23:22   #11
3dfxMM
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
More than likely it will depend upon what the contract says. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along with the correct answer.

Congrats to your son.

By your screen name I would guess you're a graphic artist?
Thanks.

No. I used to write MultiMedia software for a company named 3dfx. For a while I used to try and use different screen names on different forums but I have found it to be easier to remember my screen name if I stick to one. It usually means that my screen name makes little sense on any particular forum but at least I can remember how to login to each one.
Old 02-08-2005, 23:24   #12
3dfxMM
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant

I hope he makes it through the course!!!!!

Team Sergeant
I did actually ask him if he would mind if I asked questions and he said he didn't care. He knows that I am an information junkie and that he could never keep me well informed enough.

I hope so too!

That Nun thing is conjuring images that may just haunt my sleep.
Old 02-09-2005, 15:20   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Funny, I'm not seeing a profile filled in. Is it me? Do you guys see it?

Somebody will answer your questions eventually.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 16:10   #14
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Funny, I'm not seeing a profile filled in. Is it me? Do you guys see it?
see what? profile? as in PULHEES? oh, that profile...nada...
Old 02-09-2005, 16:19   #15
dennisw
Area Commander

Basic Q's from a parent

During the last 2 years, I've had two sons in the 18x program. As far as them learning what they need to know I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate. I know one thing, it is an rigorous and prolonged journey. Through the whole process, classes change, are delayed and your son may have down time between each phase allowing for the opportunity to go on leave. Whether he can initially probably depends when his SOPC I class is scheduled to start.

Probably one of the most interesting things about the program its varied aspects contained. From the gig pit and phase II to the academic endeavors in phase three and lanquage training, its a trek to the end.

As an interested by-stander, you have to be as patient as your son. The most precious assets in SF are the people. When your outside looking in you want everything to happen real fast, but it doesn't. As was previously mentioned, you have to provide support and it will have to be over a sustained period of time.

But my wife and I have enjoyed the vicarious journey. Having one hit a glitch in 18c training was tough, but overall its been an interesting ride. I know they are both better men for the experience. The only drawback is having to explain the same acronyms to my wife a hundred times. That can be a tester.
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote