Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 01-28-2005, 16:01   #1
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

How Tight to make a Tourniquet

I enjoy this subject because when the adrenaline is flowing in the thick of things, it is sometimes forgotten how tight is toooooooo tight.
Remember, just tight enough to slow/stop the bleeding!!! Generally, the artery spasms and shuts itself off but the vein stays wide open and flowing...the vein is a LOW pressure system therefore not much pressure is needed.

Picture #1 is an arm that another hospital wrapped up (pseudo-tourniquet) and sent to us..pt. had a badly lacerated brachial artery, significant hemorrhage and forgot their 'basic' skills
Picture #2 is the same arm, close up of the mottled hand...tooooo tight

*****pics too big, I'll shrink them and post later
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 16:07   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

here are the pics......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0635a.JPG (13.5 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0636a.JPG (15.2 KB, 134 views)
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 01-28-2005, 16:12   #3
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Ouch!

That would leave a mark.

How long before permanent damage, given it's way too tight?

Terry
Old 01-28-2005, 16:59   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

6 hours of warm ischemia leads to likely permanent damage to the nerve, muscle and other tissues

Old 01-28-2005, 17:33   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I had a stud ask me on Monday if they should release and re-apply. He said he was taught 5 minutes for every 15 on.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 18:12   #6
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I had a stud ask me on Monday if they should release and re-apply. He said he was taught 5 minutes for every 15 on.
I'd heard that too, in the past, but I think the release time was less than 5 min. I've also heard that at one time a tournaquet was no longer to be used.

Just repeating heresay

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 21:46   #7
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

the new dictum is no release because every drop of blood is precious and to release risks bleeding....hence why it is applied 'just tight enough' to slow then stop the blood flow. If you whip it tight there is a chance (a really good chance) it is toooooo tight.
We don't teach the apply and release trick anymore...I'll check TCCC from Frank Butler to see what they are teaching the active duty guys.

Old 01-28-2005, 23:07   #8
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Interesting swatsurgeon. For what is worth, when I was in and we were being crossed trained by our team medics, we were taught basically what I've read in this thread. That being apply the tourniquet (although, didn't look like the one in the pic. A rolled up piece of clothing or whatever and a stick or something similar). Anyway, just enough to stem the bleeding and we were taught, once applied, leave it alone til a medic or Dr took over. That was some 30 odd years ago, and I'm certainly not medic qualified. Merely relating some old training.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 22:37   #9
ccrn
Guerrilla

Ive always thought there were risks of reperfusion ie metabolic/gas exchange (increased lactate, potassium, and Co2) even the rare pulmonary embolism.

I did some checking and apparently this isnt as risky as I thought?

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:50   #10
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

the metabolic 'washout', i.e., reperfusion injury gets worse the longer the tourniquet is on. This is why we release it in "controlled" circumstances, i.e., where there is plenty of equipment, meds, personnel, etc to resuscitate the patient from the effects of the reperfusion injury. ...best in a hospital, worst in the field
One thing Doc T and I learned about in our fellowship was how to attenuate/reduce the potential for the reperfusion injury. I have done it in the field when dealing with a trapped limb that sooner or later we'll get free but know the 'washout' of lactic acid, potassium, etc will be significant once we free them
I promised Bill Harsey I would show a leg I freed with his T-2 folder...I had to cut through the hamstrings to get a guy off of an auger/post hole digger....I forgot a scalpel and I forgot the Gigli saw blade (it's a pull type flexible blade held by two handles) for the field amputation. Our 'kit' was disassembled and I rushed to get out to the field. They flew me out there and thankfully the femor (thigh bone) was very broken but the muscle belly was still attached.
Thank goodness I always carry that knife!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pic 1 leg in bag, just cut him off
pic 2 tourniquet on thigh, where I cut was the bottom muscle under the thigh
pic 3 the amputated leg torn to shreads, foot torn up boot still on.
BTW he's going great, I'm going to skin graft the stump next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.JPG (73.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0556.JPG (51.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.JPG (61.0 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by swatsurgeon; 02-02-2005 at 09:52.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Swatsurgeon, Thanks for directing my attention here and sharing the story, I'm glad the knife did the job.

I wish your patient the best possible recovery.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 19:30   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Outstanding work Doc. When I was a sprat, I saw a young man get his leg caught in an auger - not that bad, but impressive none the less. Great case of getting the job done with the tools at hand.

Mr Harsey, is that a first for one of your blades that you know of?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23   #13
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Outstanding work Doc. When I was a sprat, I saw a young man get his leg caught in an auger - not that bad, but impressive none the less. Great case of getting the job done with the tools at hand.

Mr Harsey, is that a first for one of your blades that you know of?
Yes.

I also think that Swatsurgeon's skills would have allowed him to do the job with broken glass if needed.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 22:10   #14
ccrn
Guerrilla

Is this the knife sir?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/T2Harsey.jpg
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:40   #15
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

that's the one....Harsey T-2 folder