Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > KnuckleDragger Questions

Old 01-18-2005, 15:23   #1
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Macintosh Computer & Posting Photos

I wonder if any Mac users that mybe lurking on this board, know of any software to use in reducing photos and/or making "thumbnails," etc. for posting on here and other boards. I would perfer "Freeware" or a Shareware with a small fee.

I have tired a few searches and D/Led some programs, but either I'm to dumb to figure them out, or they don't do what I need them to do.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 15:49   #2
pulque
Guerrilla

TripWire, what do you need it to do, exactly?

I use Graphic Converter, with Mac OS 9.1.

http://www.download.com/3000-2197-10...ml?legacy=cnet

hope that helps.
Pulque
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 22:25   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulque

hope that helps.
Pulque
Pulque, if I had to pick Mac users on this site, you would have been one of my first suspects.

Be safe!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 22:45   #4
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Pulque, if I had to pick Mac users on this site, you would have been one of my first suspects.

Be safe!

TR
LOL. Sir, I have a love for Unix that just won't leave. The M$ Windows folks at work are limited in what software they can download/use. I can get all the open source that exists. Also, command line.

edit to:
oh for heaven's sake. please don't mind me. I am Out of my Mind with anticipation. I came back to the computer lab to say something nice instead of just rambling: if I had to pick users on this site that would guess something like that about me, you would have been a prime suspect.

Last edited by pulque; 01-18-2005 at 23:59.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:24   #5
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:

hope that helps.
Pulque
I have Graphic Converter, and it works with OS 10.3.7 which is what I'm currantly using on my iMac and notebook.

I want to make "thumbnails" of pictures so they can be posted on a board like this and clicked on to make full size to view. It would be nice to be able to size the photo so that it would fit on the page nicely and not take up a lot of bandwidth, etc. I don't think Graphic Converter will do this.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:08   #6
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

I had thought the thumbnail views were part of the board settings? In other words, if you attach a picture file, doesn't the bb do the resizing for thumbnail view?

BTW, I'm a Mac user also, but I have it because I'm NOT computer savvy.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:15   #7
Kyobanim

When you attach a full size picture a thumbnail is autogenerated by the board. Though, you will need to size your pictures to no larger than 800x600.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:22   #8
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Thanks Kyobanim, that will help!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:25   #9
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Test Pic

Just a test!

Old 01-19-2005, 13:34   #10
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
I have Graphic Converter, and it works with OS 10.3.7 which is what I'm currantly using on my iMac and notebook.

I want to make "thumbnails" of pictures so they can be posted on a board like this and clicked on to make full size to view. It would be nice to be able to size the photo so that it would fit on the page nicely and not take up a lot of bandwidth, etc. I don't think Graphic Converter will do this.
The ability to resize photos is good to have. All I can add is that I use freeware Graphic Converter (Classic Graphic Converter 5.4) to accomplish resizing. Perhaps the newer version that goes with OS 10.3.7 (Graphic converter X) requires one to pay the $35 shareware fee to access that feature.

I don't understand why iPhoto doesnt have this feature?

good luck.

ps, Adobe Photoshop Elements develops for both Mac and Windows. is a pretty good package from what I have seen (I have used the Windows version), although it costs around ninety-nine bucks http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/main.html
Old 01-19-2005, 14:09   #11
Kyobanim

If you're in school or know someone in school you can get the educational version for around 50 bucks, it's the same as the professional version.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 15:10   #12
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The ability to resize photos is good to have. All I can add is that I use freeware Graphic Converter (Classic Graphic Converter 5.4) to accomplish resizing. Perhaps the newer version that goes with OS 10.3.7 (Graphic converter X) requires one to pay the $35 shareware fee to access that feature.

I don't understand why iPhoto doesnt have this feature?

good luck.

ps, Adobe Photoshop Elements develops for both Mac and Windows. is a pretty good package from what I have seen (I have used the Windows version), although it costs around ninety-nine bucks http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/main.html
I'll have to look at GC again; however, I doubt that it will do thumb nails.

Old 01-19-2005, 22:30   #13
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Good job Trip Wire!

Ambush Master and THE Team Sergeant have helped me a lot with the computer stuff here. I think it was AM who assured me he was trained to work with indigenous peoples therefore it might be possible to get me to post a picture here.

knifemakers are kind of sub-neanderthal.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote