Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-18-2016, 01:33   #1
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Upon being corrected by a team sergeant

I would like to know how a junior team member addresses their team sergeant when they have found themselves on the receiving end of a tongue lashing.

More specifically, in order to avoid exasperated sighs and rolled eyeballs as well as being told to go research it somewhere else I will restate what it is I am interested in learning:

When YOU, QP, as a junior member of the team, screwed something up and were being admonished for your infraction, did you answer:

Yes or No or Roger That, Sergeant (with or without last name)

or

Yes or No or Roger That, (team sergeant's nickname or first name)

I have been led to believe that nicknames and first names are the norm for day to day conversation between team members but I have found very little information about junior team member (read: New Guy) to team sergeant communication.

Last edited by NotActuallyHard; 07-18-2016 at 01:43.
NotActuallyHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:22   #2
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyHard View Post
More specifically, in order to avoid exasperated sighs and rolled eyeballs as well as being told to go research it somewhere else I will restate what it is I am interested in learning:

Research the meaning of the colloquial term "Black Chinook"
Old 07-18-2016, 02:36   #3
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Junior member at that time then address's in a professional matter. ie Rank, Name or Duty Title. Does as directed and admits if wrong. If right uses tact to explain with said references as directed and asks for claification/direction.

Example when I was a young SSG in Tolz the Bn CSM dressed me down on the placement of my ribbons as they were offset. At a later date using the open door policy asked for his guideance on a matter. I took a copy of AR670-1 with the area highlighted where the wearing can off set the ribbons if the lapel obsures the ribbons. and how best to go about the issue. CSM said "oh, I didn't know that". Subject dropped

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:21   #4
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Your bio says you were in 2/5cav. When you were a newbie how did you address your squad leader. When you were a team leader how did you address him? Same thing. Newbies have to prove themselves in SF too. Once they do, then they get the respect to have a discussion and not counseling.

Ive said it once or twice: SF isn't about breaking the rules, it's about knowing when to break the rules.

All army units get to do "Good Idea Fairy" BS all the time, to include SF. Guys screw up in SF. Real men admit when they're wrong and auto correct so it doesn't happen again. If they are in the right they can explain why they did it, whether people like it or not, they can hold their heads high. I think that Combat Diver put it all very succinctly.

There's more I want to say, but I've got to go...
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:58   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have been led to believe that nicknames and first names are the norm for day to day conversation between team members but I have found very little information about junior team member (read: New Guy) to team sergeant communication.

Nicknames and first names come when "they" tell you it's alright.

The rest has been covered. Now move out and draw fire.
Old 07-18-2016, 13:55   #6
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Newbies have to prove themselves in SF too. Once they do, then they get the respect to have a discussion and not counseling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
Junior member at that time then address's in a professional matter. ie Rank, Name or Duty Title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Nicknames and first names come when "they" tell you it's alright.
These three answers are solid gold. My gratitude gentlemen, for taking the time and having the patience to provide them.
Old 07-18-2016, 14:37   #7
PRB
Quiet Professional

Nicknames etc. come if they exist.

Depends upon your Team....no one on my team called me anything but Top or MSG.

I was on the same team for 7 years and loved those guys.

Old habit.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 15:51   #8
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Nicknames etc. come if they exist.
Thank you, very much, PRB.

Quote:
I was on the same team for 7 years and loved those guys.
Asked with the utmost respect and with nothing negative implied whatsoever:

Is 7 years as a team sergeant with the same team out of the ordinary and, are team sergeants regularly/often/sometimes/ever rotated to different detachments within their own group?

(if I may be permitted to ask more than one question in the same thread I would like to do so in order to not create a bunch of stupid threads and draw the attention of the Black Chinook, again.)
Old 07-18-2016, 16:07   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you, very much, PRB.

Asked with the utmost respect and with nothing negative implied whatsoever:

Is 7 years as a team sergeant with the same team out of the ordinary and, are team sergeants regularly/often/sometimes/ever rotated to different detachments within their own group?

(if I may be permitted to ask more than one question in the same thread I would like to do so in order to not create a bunch of stupid threads and draw the attention of the Black Chinook, again.)
I was on that team for 7 years and the Team Sgt. for 4 of those years as an E7 and then after promotion to E8. It was not unusual then but may be today.
I was the Team Sgt. of another ODA later after a rotation to the SGM Acad. (went as an E8).
The Team leadership usually stays with that ODA for their complete tour/time unless something unusual happens.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 16:14   #10
NotActuallyHard
Asset

Quote:
I was on that team for 7 years and the Team Sgt. for 4 of those years as an E7 and then after promotion to E8. It was not unusual then but may be today.
I was the Team Sgt. of another ODA later after a rotation to the SGM Acad. (went as an E8).
The Team leadership usually stays with that ODA for their complete tour/time unless something unusual happens.
This is a tremendous help and again, I thank you PRB.
Old 07-18-2016, 21:51   #11
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I had four years of team Sgt. time, it was considered unusual. Two years is the average, and three not that unusual either. At least, that's the current state of things.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:49   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Ask your Tm SGT.

Then do pushups.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25   #13
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I would like to know how a junior team member addresses their team sergeant when they have found themselves on the receiving end of a tongue lashing.

When YOU, QP, as a junior member of the team, screwed something up and were being admonished for your infraction, did you answer:

Yes or No or Roger That, Sergeant (with or without last name)

or

Yes or No or Roger That, (team sergeant's nickname or first name)

Your Senior will probably light you up, unless you really screwed the pooch... if a first infraction is severe enough that TOP is verbally berating you, your Senior will be standing right next to you during the CAS attack from the TM Daddy, because that Senior did not do his job in training you for your role on that particular Team.

In 99.99% of the cases, TOP will win.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Your Senior will probably light you up, unless you really screwed the pooch... if a first infraction is severe enough that TOP is verbally berating you, your Senior will be standing right next to you during the CAS attack from the TM Daddy, because that Senior did not do his job in training you for your role on that particular Team.

In 99.99% of the cases, TOP will win.
Well said.

And if the team sergeant feels the need to correct a SF newbie the next ass chewing will be his Sr. and that will take place behind closed doors.
Old 07-19-2016, 18:24   #15
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I was lucky in that respect, I was always the junior/senior medic. Never enough 18d's around. When a new medic came on board, it was usually a high 5 to the FOG leaving... "Here's the key to the med locker, good luck"

When I screwed up it was me and the the Team Daddy, so I made it my business not to screw up!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote