Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-29-2016, 13:28   #1
Goryl3
Asset

18x/11x Option 40

I am 19 years old, currently enrolled in college at Michigan State University, and I am seeking to further gain knowledge in this field. I am very interested in joining the Military, it is something I have always wanted to do, as I have a strong urge to serve this country that has given me so much. Joining the military runs in my family as my dad, and My grandparents all served. If I am going to do this I want to be apart of the best, and I know that Army Rangers and Army Special Forces are some of the best, and most elite units the Military has to offer.

I have spent hours researching what each of these units specialize in. I know that the Army Rangers specialize in direct action raids, air field seizures, destroying strategic facilities, and capturing or killing enemies of the nation, and much more. I have also read that they have greatly evolved since 9/11 and do many different types of specialized missions.

I know that Army Special Forces specialize in counterterrorism missions, as well as unconventional warfare. They also may be deployed to foreign regions to take part in humanitarian efforts. They specialize in foreign internal defense, special reconnaissance, and direct action missions.

I understand both units are very elite. I am aware that this forum is full of special operations soldiers who have served this great country and I would like to thank you all for your service.

The reason for my post is I am wondering if there is a certain path that is recommended. Maybe some of you have done both or can shed some wisdom on me from your experiences. If you have done both what type of unit did you prefer?

Thank you for any help that you guys can assist me with, it is greatly appreciated.
Goryl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 14:17   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I recommend that you introduce yourself, at the proper place, and that you utilize the Search button before starting new threads or asking questions.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 15:30   #3
Goryl3
Asset

Yes sir, will do, I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your time.
Old 01-29-2016, 20:50   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I believe if you search, you will find what you are looking for (and more).

We don't know you, your situation, your condition, or your state of mind.

I suspect that either path will present you with all of the challenge you want. If not, try another.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:35   #5
Goryl3
Asset

Thank you, I really do appreciate your advice. I will continue to do research. If you have any more for me please do let me know.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:40   #6
Goryl3
Asset

I would like to say there is no way I can prove my work ethic or state of mind over a forum, but I do know what I'm capable of and I wouldn't be asking these questions if I wasn't strong mentally, as well as physically. Thank you again for your advice sir, as it is much appreciated. Thank you again for your advice as it is much appreciated.

Last edited by Goryl3; 01-30-2016 at 12:46.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:01   #7
Joker
Quiet Professional

4 posts, all to this thread.
Go to the Introduction thread and post an introduction.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:47   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goryl3 View Post
I would like to say there is no way I can prove my work ethic or state of mind over a forum, but I do know what I'm capable of and I wouldn't be asking these questions if I wasn't strong mentally, as well as physically. Thank you again for your advice sir, as it is much appreciated.

FTFSI,,

Your post(S) say more than you know...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote