Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 05-05-2015, 06:48   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Home made bullet trap??

My Element II is in jail, the wait has started, I need a project..

When I lived in the Keys, my LSG had a small office,, maybe 15-25. It was part of a dock side warehouse. The rest of the building was occupied by a fish monger.

To demo sub-sonic ammo & cans, he made a backstop of several out of date LEO level IIIA vests.

I'm think I might try something like this for my garage for 22lr only,, to start.

Q's

1)Level II talks to 22lr, but how many shots before failure?? If I have three(3) over lapping soft Level II or IIa would it last??

2)Is three(3) level II better than one(1) level IV??

3)Both soft and hard plates are available on ebay for as low as 25USD @. I know that soft armor goes behind hard plate when mounted in a carrier, But can I do soft in front of hard for a back stop??

4)What does the "out if date" mean? Do the aramid fibers evaporate or rust or what??

5)For my 26ft garage range, I am thinking a 24inch sq target area should do it??

Thanks

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:45   #2
chance
Guerrilla Chief

See if you can get some of the used shoothouse rubber blocks. I got several and they're perfect for shooting .22 into, they may not be able to stand up to large caliber rounds anymore, but they'll do just fine for sub .22.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:02   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
See if you can get some of the used shoothouse rubber blocks. I got several and they're perfect for shooting .22 into, they may not be able to stand up to large caliber rounds anymore, but they'll do just fine for sub .22.
Is that something I could find on the net, or do you find them at the base salvage??

Old 05-05-2015, 08:21   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Is that something I could find on the net, or do you find them at the base salvage??
Range Systems - http://www.range-systems.com/index.p...llistic-rubber

Check their Supplies page (http://www.inrangesupplies.com/) to see the product line. MOO - this is a case where buying is better than building.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:40   #5
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I got mine from range control, they had a pile of them outside the shoot house.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40   #6
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

I've made multiple backyard traps for friends out of 2"X6" board frames filled with sand.
5.5" of sand stops 7.62 NATO all day long.

I posted some photos of the first test on here a few years ago.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...&postcount=383

I've also made 2'X2' panels for garage use.

Last edited by Go Devil; 05-06-2015 at 06:48.
Go Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
I've made multiple backyard traps for friends out of 2"X6" board frames filled with sand.
5.5" of sand stops 7.62 NATO all day long.

I posted some photos of the first test on here a few years ago.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...&postcount=383

I've also made 2'X2' panels for garage use.
I've been looking at the rubber mats used for kids outdoors play-ground set and for weight lifting mats. Was thinking a combo of sheet rubber and the ground-up mulch rubber might be the trick,, but sand also look to be GTG..

Thanks

Old 05-08-2015, 13:51   #8
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

if you have a tractor supply these have worked well...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...at-4-ft-x-6-ft
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote