Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-14-2015, 10:41   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

NASA: California Has One Year of Water Left

This is about to get very interesting........ Kalif is about to go dry..... those fresh veggies, wine etc are about to take a large jump in price. I think they can solve the problem by granting amnesty to another 20 million illegals.

NASA: California Has One Year of Water Left
by Daniel Nussbaum14 Mar 2015

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, NASA senior water scientist Jay Famiglietti warned that California only has about one year’s worth of water supply left in its snowpack, reservoirs, and groundwater storage. If conservation efforts are not ramped up, and soon, the state could be facing a full-blown “crisis.”

NASA satellite data reportedly shows that the state’s water supply level was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. Unfortunately, this year’s numbers indicate anything but improvement.

January of 2015 was the driest since the state began keeping rainfall records in 1895. Earlier this month, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) announced that the water content of snowpack measured at the Philips snow course in the Sierra Nevada mountains was just 0.9 inches, or 5 percent of the state’s March average. That water content level set a new, undesirable state record.

As for California’s underground supply, NASA has been sounding the alarm about dropping groundwater levels since October of last year. The rate of groundwater pumping has only increased since then. According to Famiglietti, a full two-thirds of the state’s 12 million acre-feet loss in water supply per year is due to excessive groundwater pumping.

While some recent minor storms brought in by a weak El Nino system allowed DWR to raise its state water allocation to 20%, the storms have done nothing to replenish the state’s reservoirs and snowpack, the most critical sources of drinking water for California residents. And farmers continue to get burned from both ends, as what little water supply they would have access to continually gets choked off by state bureaucrats.

“In short, we have no paddle to navigate this crisis,” Famiglietti wrote in the Times.

cont:

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...of-water-left/
Old 03-14-2015, 12:06   #2
ddoering
Quiet Professional

The real crisis will come with the mass exodus of all those nut job dipshits. They will end up infecting the rest of the nation.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Water wars ?

They better start those desalination plants.
SF_BHT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:17   #4
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Water wars ?

They better start those desalination plants.
Never happen with all of the environuts running the state. They should have built nuclear power plants along the coast and a desalination plant with each one. Two of their major problems solved by one construction project.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 03-14-2015 at 12:19.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 13:10   #5
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

States upstream in the Colorado River Basin have been dealing with this sort of thing and preparing for it for about a century.

Cry me a river.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 15:30   #6
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

I wouldn't believe a thing NASA says.
Old 03-14-2015, 16:23   #7
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoering View Post
The real crisis will come with the mass exodus of all those nut job dipshits. They will end up infecting the rest of the nation.
Shoot them at the borders, unless it is the Mexican border. Richard is excluded though.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 16:29   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

If you go to the LA Times OpEd piece, the Earth System Science professor who wrote it is pushing for a political change to California's water policies and warns that there would be but a one year supply of the existing water in the state's rivers, reservoirs, and aquifers if nothing changes (weather, usage, policies, regulations, etc).

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 18:29   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

It's all fun and games until the water runs out...... It will be interesting.
Old 03-14-2015, 19:01   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

You'd think, since this issue is decades old in Cali specifically, you'd hear a great deal about this.
I know Cali sued Nevada/Az for more water and lost in Fed court a few years ago.
Az has been pumping excess/unused/ use to give it to Cali river water back into the aquafirs for some years now.
I keep an eye on my well and it is up this year and my pump is 100 ft below the water table level...but our aguaF is fed by underground streams not just rainfall.
Cali has been doing nothing but limiting lawn watering/car washing etc.....as if this will just go away.
Pray for rain but hope ain't much of a strategery.....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 19:02   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Shoot them at the borders...
By my count, there are only 7 crossing points into AZ from CA (not counting I-15 through the AZ strip which is cut of from AZ anyway. Piece 'o cake!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 19:38   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
A few months ago Gov Jerry Brown aka moon beam Jerry signed a bill into law that basically takes all water rights away from individuals and gives it to the state. If you have a water well on your place well the state owns it now. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Most people do not realize rural CA is very Conservative but the large urban areas outnumber the rural areas in votes thus distorted view of the state. Might be the start of something they did not anticipate.
Not true.

Here's the 2014 SGWA and its initiatives.

http://www.water.ca.gov/cagroundwater/

Our wells are our wells.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 20:15   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard
I thought recently I read the same thing Brush Okie was talking about. I'll have to find it. Within the last 3-4 months.
Old 03-14-2015, 20:39   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional

What is property worth with no water access?
Old 03-14-2015, 20:41   #15
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not true.

Our wells are our wells.

Richard
I hope so but I suspect that is just one liberal vote away from not being the case.