Old 03-12-2015, 15:23   #1
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

EMT Gift/Blade

My wife has completed her EMT course and will take the national registry tomorrow. She loves blades and really appreciated her Spartan Phrike that Mr. Carey so nicely rushed to her before she shipped out in 2012. Not to sidetrack, but that is one heck of a blade, Mark. Sometimes I sneak off with it whenever I hit the trails for a weekend. It has taken a beating and holds a good edge. Well done, sir.

I am curious if any of you have a recommendation for a multi-tool/blade that she could carry on the job. I'm not sure what features she would need since the only experience I have with EMTs is being patched up by them. I've browsed around this forum and the web. I've seen a few options from Buck, such as the CSAR-T and the Redpoint. My price range is up to $150. Ultimately, she plans to continue her education and wants to join one of the civilian medflight units as a flight nurse, so I can't raise the bar too high. With that being said, I want to get her something practical, effective and tough. If you have experience and a multi-tool/blade isn't what you would recommend, then please advise. I just want to give her something as a gift to let her know I'm proud of her.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:01   #2
Sdiver
Area Commander

One thing is, you don't want to have an expensive knife on you.

YOU WILL LOOSE IT !!!!

Either by someone taking it, leaving it on scene, it falling out of your pocket, etc., knives will end up missing.

The big "rage" now-a-days are these ....

http://www.rescuetees.com/Rescue_Knives_s/60.htm

They are inexpensive and can do the job and if you loose it (AND YOU WILL) you're not out lots of $$$$.

There is a hard point on one end for breaking windows (it does work), there is a slot with razor blade for cutting seat belts (and those bear drinking bracelets you were to show you are of age)... and it does work, and then there is the blade itself, a straight edge and a serrated edge, roughly about 4 1/2 to 5 inches in length.

You do get what you pay for. I have 4 of them currently. One is in my crash bag in my truck. One is in my back-pack that I carry to school. One is in my pocket that is my EDC. The last one was gift from my brother sent from Germany. That one is not the best, so I keep it in my top dresser drawer as a gift for which it was intended to be.

One cost me $60.00, and the other two about twenty.

If you want to get her the nice one, the $60.00 job ... here's the link.
http://www.sogknives.com/escape-hard...-serrated.html

Or you could just Bing (or google) for rescue knives with seat belt cutters and shop from there.

Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:19   #3
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
One thing is, you don't want to have an expensive knife on you.

Or you could just Bing (or google) for rescue knives with seat belt cutters and shop from there.
I saw some similar knives on Amazon, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure if those were just a gimmicky money grab or if they really would perform and since I'm not an EMT, I had no idea if that would be something an EMT would want. I appreciate the response and I can easily see her losing it, especially considering the nature of the job so maybe I'll grab a couple
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
Old 03-12-2015, 22:03   #4
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Thank you, BO. I like the Wave. I've thought about getting one for myself. I still have my first Leatherman. It's part of the tool kit in my Jeep. How essential would a glass breaking tool be to an EMT? I didn't see one on the Wave. I did see them on the Z-Rex. What are your thoughts on that one and the Raptor?

Off topic, I checked out the Leatherman Leap. I had never heard of one. Talk about a cool concept/gift idea for little kids:

Quote:
introducing the Leatherman Leap, the first Leatherman multi-tool created specifically for younger users. Our engineers designed the Leap with safety as our #1 priority. That’s why the Leap includes safety locks that keep fingers from the path of the tools, a two-hand opening knife blade for safer deployment, and a secure grip designed to train users to properly and safely operate tools. The Leap also comes with a user-installed knife blade that can be added by a parent when the user is ready for more responsibility.
Old 03-12-2015, 22:36   #5
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Roger that! Thanks for saying it like it is. The last thing she would ever want is to draw unwanted attention to herself. She's more of the hardworking quiet type.