Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

A good pocket/pen knife

Was going through an old box that belonged to my Grandmother recently, and found a few of my Grandfather's old pocket/pen knives.

I always remember him having one of these pocket knives on him, especially the yellow one ... and as you can tell by how the blade has been worn down, he used that one quite a bit.

Even though they need a little "cleaning", all of them still have a razor sharp edge. Which would be testament to my Grandfather keeping his tools, especially his knives, in tip top working order.

ETA ... The watch in the first pic was his as well. Still works too. :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 01.jpg (36.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 02.jpg (28.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 03.jpg (35.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 04.jpg (29.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 05.jpg (28.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa Knife 06.jpg (32.1 KB, 65 views)
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 18:33   #2
G Wheeler II
Quiet Professional

Yea for old guys and their knives

It is nice to see a guy still loving Grandpas old knives, I still have 5-7 of my Grandpas knives and still carry them on special days/hunts.. Cool Guy...
Old 03-10-2015, 20:17   #3
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

I have a Boker and a Case that my grandfather carried. I also have his old Peace dollar, worn to almost a nub on a portion of it. He kept it in his pocket during WW2, rubbed it for good luck and carried it until the day he died. He gave me the Boker when I became a Boy Scout and the Case (with the coin) after he passed away.

To me, that's probably one of the greatest coins I'll ever receive. Out of fear that I'll lose it, I keep it in a safe with a few other relics at my mom's house. Next time I get a chance, I'll update the thread with some photos. They're worn all to hell, but that just gives 'em character.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:20   #4
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Was going through an old box that belonged to my Grandmother recently, and found a few of my Grandfather's old pocket/pen knives.

I always remember him having one of these pocket knives on him, especially the yellow one ... and as you can tell by how the blade has been worn down, he used that one quite a bit.

Even though they need a little "cleaning", all of them still have a razor sharp edge. Which would be testament to my Grandfather keeping his tools, especially his knives, in tip top working order.

ETA ... The watch in the first pic was his as well. Still works too. :
BTW - that's a nice collection. Thanks for sharing.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28   #5
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Can anyone name the handle materials on the pocket knives shown?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:13   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Can anyone name the handle materials on the pocket knives shown?
Mother of Pearl, bakelite, and I don't know.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22   #7
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Celluloid and Delrin? (Without cheating)
Old 03-12-2015, 10:30   #8
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

How common are marble handles? What about ivory? I am extremely uneducated when it pertains to this subject. Guess you could say that I view knives as I do women. I don't know a great deal about them. Before I found my EDC, I wanted to try as many as possible. Having said that, I still admire them, but can't afford another one. Even if I tried, I'm pretty sure she'd cut me.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:36   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post

Pat
That be my guess also.......
Old 03-12-2015, 12:10   #10
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post

Pat
Mother of Pearl was my first impression, but honestly i don't know either.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 14:50   #11
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Sometimes we got very cheap knives out here and the Mother of Pearl was simply a cheap plastic sheet that clipped into the frame. Otherwise, Abalone was often used too.
ABS , a type of plastic which had a slight soapy feel could be that yellow handle. Bakelite was quite brittle compared to the early plastics and nylon used in some pocket knife handles.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 21:42   #12
Beef
Quiet Professional

Mr. Harsey, I believe the "Black composition" handles on the 3 blade with punch dates it to around 1940, if my old Remingtons and Case XX Testeds are a reference point. The other two are celluloids and look like 1950s-1960s Colonials with the crimped bolsters. Did he work for Westinghouse? If not he probably the teardrop jack got from a dealer. I have an almost identical green celluloid that was my father in law's. It was his first knife.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill

Last edited by Beef; 03-12-2015 at 21:46.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 21:44   #13
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
Mr. Harsey, I believe the "Black composition" handles on the 3 blade with punch dates it to around 1940, if my old Remingtons and Case XX Testeds are a reference point. The other two are celluloids and look like 1950s-1960s Colonials with the crimped bolsters. Did he work for Westinghouse? If not he probably the teardrop jack got from a dealer. I have an almost identical green celluloid that was my father in law's. It was his first knife.
Beef,
Don't know if you're asking that question I highlighted to Bill or me?

If it's directed to me ... No, my grandfather worked for the Great Chicago-Northwestern Railroad.

There is printing on the yellow handled knife that's been pretty well worn off, but you can barely make it out. It reads ... Western Railroad Supply Co.

Bill gave me some cleaning instructions over on another board, which I will endeavor to work on this weekend, between homework assignments. Will post better pictures when cleaned and hopefully get some better lighting so you can see the detail in the handle color(s), especially the black one.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:28   #14
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Bill gave me some cleaning instructions over on another board, which I will endeavor to work on this weekend, between homework assignments.
Could you please share or PM those instructions? I have a few of my grandfather's that I'd like to clean up. Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 10:20   #15
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Beef,
Don't know if you're asking that question I highlighted to Bill or me?

If it's directed to me ... No, my grandfather worked for the Great Chicago-Northwestern Railroad.

There is printing on the yellow handled knife that's been pretty well worn off, but you can barely make it out. It reads ... Western Railroad Supply Co.

Bill gave me some cleaning instructions over on another board, which I will endeavor to work on this weekend, between homework assignments. Will post better pictures when cleaned and hopefully get some better lighting so you can see the detail in the handle color(s), especially the black one.
Yes, that was for you. I'm traveling, so using my phone to view the pictures. I couldn't make out much but "West..." See if you can read the makers on the tang. I'm pretty sure that two are Imperial or Colonials or maybe imported. I have a couple of Purina advert knives that were my grandfather's (he was a farmer) and they are of that make. We'll see what Mr. Bill has to say. I'm really interested in who made the 3 blade punch.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote