Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > The Cache

Old 03-07-2015, 00:41   #1
Noslack71
Guerrilla

Question Collectible Military Items

I was unpacking a box that I have lugged around since the movers packed it as we PCS'd from Panama in the mid 80's. I found this issued watch and compass. We are in the process of putting some items away, hoping they will increase in value for the Grandkids education fund. There are a number of boxes, with things like Survival knives, maybe a set of Tiger Stripes, Ho Chi Minh sandals, other than being old, nothing really special.
A.) Is this watch the type of item collectors are looking for?
B.) If so, is there a greater than average probability of these will increase in
value or most likely merely keep pace with inflation?
C.) Or, would selling these type of items as soon as I find them, and put the
cash in the account

Is there a website other than Craigslist these folks gather at to buy/sell the not new military collectibles. Thank you for time and any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Noslack
Noslack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:51   #2
PSM
Area Commander

I'd say value is relative. My grandfather brought back a Jap rifle from Okinawa. My grandmother sold it in a garage sale while I was stationed on Okinawa 23 years after he was there. I wanted that rifle. I'm pissed to this day that she sold it.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:12   #3
CSB
Quiet Professional

My two cents worth

The things that will be most valuble to you (and your grandchildren) will probably mean very little to someone else. In the "mini-museum" in my office curio cabinet I've got a firing pin to an M-16A1 [Korea], Soviet Data plates and electronic parts [Somalia]; access badges [Honduras], Carry Cards [Israel], coins to units that no longer exist, some in bad shape for a good reason; and so on. There is a story behind every one of them, but they probably wouldn't bring a dollar on E-Bay.

I turned other more valuble assets (such as a small case of mint original Colt rearing horse 20 round magazines for the M16) into cash and yes, they have paid for my son's colleges.

So my advice is: If it is really worth cash, get it now. If you son/grandson will want it for a memento, the dollar and cent value won't mean much to them, but memories of hearing Grandpa tell the story behind the item will.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 14:20   #4
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noslack71 View Post
I was unpacking a box that I have lugged around since the movers packed it as we PCS'd from Panama in the mid 80's. I found this issued watch and compass. We are in the process of putting some items away, hoping they will increase in value for the Grandkids education fund. There are a number of boxes, with things like Survival knives, maybe a set of Tiger Stripes, Ho Chi Minh sandals, other than being old, nothing really special.
A.) Is this watch the type of item collectors are looking for?
B.) If so, is there a greater than average probability of these will increase in
value or most likely merely keep pace with inflation?
C.) Or, would selling these type of items as soon as I find them, and put the
cash in the account

Is there a website other than Craigslist these folks gather at to buy/sell the not new military collectibles. Thank you for time and any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Noslack
I collect stuff from OEF/OIF and used to from WWII before changing focus. In this you run in to other collectors who collect other areas or specialties like Special Forces items from the inception during WWII. I run across SF items but tend to focus on regular Army.

A. The value in the watch will come from where its been and when its used. If it was in a foot locker its entire life and looks brand new, it wouldn't garner much. If its beat to hell, been on every mission/continent/operation the value increases. The key to a collector is a provenance statement saying it in writing.

B. Most items will continue to rise. You mentioned you may have some tigerstripes, if they're of Vietnam Vintage you're looking at a couple hundred dollars per top and bottom. Anything you can tie to your service and when, will increase the value. There are reputable vendors out there, and those looking to rob you to enrich themselves. In your case I'd recommend getting a couple opinions on items if you'd decide to sell.

C. Some of these items will hold steady for years, others will go up. It comes down to being a balancing act. For example I bought a bunch of theater made patches from Iraq for next to nothing. Some I've been able to sell outright (I'm not really a patch guy, more uniforms and helmets) but the rest I'll have to sit on for years but they will sell eventually.

From the stuff you've mentioned collectors will be interested. One website to check out would be http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ but to sell there you have to have 50 posts. The upside is that you should be able to get a good idea of the kinds of things people have picked up in the past and some pricing.
Another choice would be Ebay, but that really runs the gambit. If you go there, I'd set a higher than you expect price and then offer a 'best offer' option. Lots of exposure there as well.

Hope this helps!

Red
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 16:09   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noslack71 View Post

Noslack
Just buy about one hundred green berets and have Vietnam 5th Gp flashes sewn onto them.

Take them all outside and throw them around to get dirty, leave them in the sun for a while and when they are good and worn sell then one at a time on ebay as MACVSOG GB's...... some tiger stripe jungles in a pic next to them would sure help!

Anything to help the youngen's college fund!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:00   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The dollar value of collectables is not an investment venue,, with some exceptions, High end art will always go up.

Personal milatery items are of greatest vale to the original owner not for money, but as memories. Memories do not buy educations. and are poor investments.

Exception, CISO knives, original Green Berets, and stuff you may not think much of.

If the item has value?

1)sell now and invest in a 529 or Roth IRA in your G-kids names
2)create a will with direction to pass the items to the G-kids,, Then start the 529 or IRA with cash.

In 20-30 yrs your G-kids may have a very different view of the world and it may be 180 degs from your views..

I have created scrap books for each of my kid and a list of several item for the g-kids. The rest is in 529/IRA accounts..

One man's opine..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 03-13-2015 at 14:29.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 14:25   #7
Beef
Quiet Professional

I agree with what above have said. I have bought some rare items in the past that have greatly multipied in value. Most are have gone up modestly or not at all. Run of the mill stuff falls into that category. Usually items that are high value are mo brainers. They are from famous units used during time periods that were noteworthy. Keep the sentimental stuff and sell the rest and do a 529.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote