Old 12-21-2004, 18:08   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Question Wireless Network Security???

So I key up my computer and, just for yucks since we have new neighbors, click on my wireless puter network places.
Chuckleheads are signed on to my wireless network !!
Then I notice there is another wireless network in range that says "secure wireless network".

How do I do that?!?!?

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 19:12   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

What brand wireless router do you have ?? I just installed a Netgear and it is definitely programmable so that it remains "Private".

Look on the manufacturer's website for a FAQ area or tech assistance.

Later
Martin
Old 12-21-2004, 19:28   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Good idea...I have netgear as well...

THanks AM

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 12-21-2004, 19:54   #4
Dan
Administrators

The way wireless peripherals work is that they automatically connect to any available wireless networks. So this means your neighbors may not even know their connected...may want to call off the plans you had to sabotage them

If you have the model number of your router let us know so we can walk you through the setup...that is if the RTM suggestion that AM said doesn't work for you.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 20:20   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

I am so dicked up...

OK...so I DON't have the NETGEAR router...it's a US Robotics. My connection crapped out on me and wouldn't let me reconnect-even though it shows the network available.

Get this...so I do the "Wireless Network Set-Up Wizard" and it congradulates me on successful completion. I am typing on the internet, but my little computer icon still says I am not connected.

Viewing the Network-it shows my connection as "not connected", and at the bottom it has a "disconnect" button.

I suck at puters

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 12-22-2004, 06:12   #6
Kyobanim

That connectionicon will sometimes do that. If you're on the inet don't worry about it.

There should be a file on the CD that came with your router. In that file are detailed instructions on how to turn on the security features. You'll need to know the MAC address of each device that you want to connect to the wireless. To get that open a command prompt on your computer, type ipconfig /all and press enter. write down the physical address which will be a string of 6 pairs of characters spearated by hyphens.

If you need any help send a note.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:57   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Wilco

Thanks!!!

Eagle

The Reaper-3 Sep 04