Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 11-25-2014, 14:31   #1
trinity
Auxiliary

Family questions

Howdy! My son will be attending SFAS in a couple of months, and I have a few family-type questions about the Q course that I haven't seen addressed anywhere else. (Please be easy on me--I'm trying my best to get up to speed on Army lingo, abbreviations, etc. )

1. Will he be able to receive mail during the course (even if only between phases)? What about packages?

2. Will he be in the field for essentially the entire course? Will he at any time be able to get a weekend pass? (I ask for two reasons: 1. to determine how long we should be prepared to keep his dog, and 2. trying to find a good time to schedule an Eagle Scout Court of Honor for his younger brother, who REALLY wants his big brother there).

3. What ceremonies (graduation, etc.) can we attend? (I found a couple of threads here about graduation, but those are both at least several years old, so not sure how current that info is.)
trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 15:15   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Answers

1. Yes, Yes - but not when in the woods.

2. No - lots of classroom work at Ft Bragg.

3. Yes. Most courses like Basic/AIT/OUST/Jump School have a graduation ceremony. SFAS does not. The SFQC does.

His time off in the Q Course will depend on his schedule and class track. Students are mostly off on four day weekends and some Christmas leaves are possible.

There will be a bunch of play it by ear for the two years he's going through the course.

It all depends...

Some in the course now might have a little more insight.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 14:42   #3
trinity
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
There will be a bunch of play it by ear for the two years he's going through the course.
Thanks, Pete! I appreciate your help. Would we have a few weeks' lead time to schedule the Court of Honor and send out invitations, or will it be something that he won't know until maybe a few days before?

Quote:
Some in the course now might have a little more insight.
Any one else willing to chime in?
Old 11-28-2014, 22:50   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I didn't even tell my parents that I was going to Special Forces training until after I graduated. How would I have been able to tell them if I failed?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I didn't even tell my parents that I was going to Special Forces training until after I graduated. How would I have been able to tell them if I failed?
When I told my parents, the first words were,,

"You don't play an instrument, Why do you want to be in the USO band??"

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 18:19   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 20:43   #7
NF_NYC
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
It must've been hard not to say anything until you got the beret huh?
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 23:42   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
Howdy! My son will be attending SFAS in a couple of months, and I have a few family-type questions about the Q course that I haven't seen addressed anywhere else. (Please be easy on me--I'm trying my best to get up to speed on Army lingo, abbreviations, etc. )

1. Will he be able to receive mail during the course (even if only between phases)? What about packages?

2. Will he be in the field for essentially the entire course? Will he at any time be able to get a weekend pass? (I ask for two reasons: 1. to determine how long we should be prepared to keep his dog, and 2. trying to find a good time to schedule an Eagle Scout Court of Honor for his younger brother, who REALLY wants his big brother there).

3. What ceremonies (graduation, etc.) can we attend? (I found a couple of threads here about graduation, but those are both at least several years old, so not sure how current that info is.)
I have one Son who has Graduated the "Q" and another that is currently in "The Pipeline". I highly recommend that you attend his Airborne Graduation Ceremony!! The scheduling can be somewhat tenuous due to weather issues and the completion of the 5 Jumps, so a GREAT deal of patience may be required!! As far as his being able to "get away" for something, try to shedule it around "Long Weekend Holidays" and he may be able to make it. Contact me by PM in here with a phone # and I'll explain further.

Later
Martin
Old 11-30-2014, 08:48   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF_NYC View Post
It must've been hard not to say anything until you got the beret huh?
It was before social media and instant connectivity disorder.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:10   #10
NF_NYC
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
It was before social media and instant connectivity disorder.

TR
LOL, a well-deserved jab at my generation.
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I also did not tell my family, my mother thought I was headed to Special Services.......

It does not take a village to raise a green beret, he does it on his own.

While I know this was a "family" thread, if your son succeeds he will be a changed man. He will not be the boy you used to know.

My advice, leave him alone right now, he needs to focus.
Old 11-30-2014, 13:46   #12
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

My Family was not told until I had completed Phase III and was getting ready to graduate. It helped me focus and not have distractors but I was not raised in todays Social Media Generation that needs to tell all and have everything given them on a platter "G2". Hell All I knew was It was going to kick my ass and they would teach me everything I needed during the course. All you had to do was be a PT guru and deal with it.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:39   #13
trinity
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
While I know this was a "family" thread, if your son succeeds he will be a changed man. He will not be the boy you used to know.
He hasn't been a boy for some time now, and I know more changes are coming, whether he makes it through the Q course or not.

Quote:
My advice, leave him alone right now, he needs to focus.
That's why I'm asking y'all about mail and graduation and such, and leaving him alone. Besides, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know any of that yet.

Last edited by trinity; 12-02-2014 at 12:14.