Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 10-22-2014, 16:43   #1
dollarbill
Guerrilla

L2-4 bulging disk

Curious if anyone has experienced bulging/herniated disk in there back. It is currently pressing on nerves that is causing some pretty descent pain. Doctors plan is to send me to a pain management center to receive nerve blocking shots. This should happen on th 30th. Was wondering how long these shots lasted. As a long haul truck driver, I hate for it to wear off after a day or two.

Destination... Excellence

We are fast approaching the stage of ultimate inversion: the stage where government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only on permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
Ayn Rand
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 17:55   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

Good luck with the shots, I had them in 04 for bulging disks in my neck, it did not work for me but we are all different, insurance carrier had a lot to do with my treatment schedule. Least invasive cure first. I ended up having two disks removed and a fusion done. I was born again after the surgery.
Old 10-22-2014, 19:23   #3
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

I had a bulging L5-S1 which pretty much leveled me with sciatica. I never experienced pain like I had down my right leg. I had the shots and 2 days later I was golden!

Good luck

Who is John Galt?

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JSMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 19:34   #4
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMosby View Post
I had a bulging L5-S1 which pretty much leveled me with sciatica. I never experienced pain like I had down my right leg. I had the shots and 2 days later I was golden!

Good luck
Thanks, you read so much stuff and they all have different opinions a person really doesn't know.
I have a real good Doctor, but have never met the pain Doc. Past experience has taught me you QP's will tell it like it's is. Thanks can't wait for the shot.

We are fast approaching the stage of ultimate inversion: the stage where government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only on permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
Ayn Rand
Old 10-22-2014, 19:42   #5
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Entire thread didn't show until after my reply.2 out of 3, I've played against worst odds. But is coming down to insurance going cheaper route first. Read a little on this laser surgery. After I meet this pain Doc might have to insist on the laser. After all I pay the premiums. Thanks again.

Ayn Rand
Old 10-22-2014, 20:38   #6
zeke
Asset

Had one that I had surgery for: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=17469

I still had lingering on/off sciatica for a year, but found that PT and mobility exercises made the pain and discomfort mostly stay away. I still get some pain when sitting for long periods but not sure it's from a pinched nerve as a shifted pelvis or SI joint. MobilityWOD was a big help.

To this day I'm not sure if the surgery was the fix but after more than a year of constant sciatica down into my calf I was willing to give it a try.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 22:34   #7
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Let me fix what I said. If your disk is blown, not bulged shot will not work. I meant to say blown but had a DOH moment and typed blown. I still recommend surgical consult if shot does not work. My pain MD screwed around to long and I could have been paralyzed.
Hope all is good now for you. I've been reading the laser back surgery of Indianapolis website. They seem to have good results. There claim is a small 2 inch incision and can repair disk. Like I said driving for a living means a lot of sitting, bumps, vibrations, ect ect. I'm sure insurance is going tomake me try the shot . But, the first sign its not working and I'll push for this back laser surgery. I'm only 56 and still have a lot I'd like to do. Thanks and again hope all is well

Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2014, 02:45   #8
fred111
Quiet Professional

I had problems at L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5. I tried the shots. The first one worked for a few months. The second for a couple of weeks. The third for a couple of months.

I went to a surgeon and asked about the laser surgery and he strongly recommended against it. He said he didn't like the idea of heat that close to all the nerves.

I had surgery and it worked great! I was up and walking the next day - not fast or far, but walking. I followed the doc's instructions and I am extremely happy with the results.

Good luck on your back.
fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01   #9
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post
I had problems at L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5. I tried the shots. The first one worked for a few months. The second for a couple of weeks. The third for a couple of months.

I went to a surgeon and asked about the laser surgery and he strongly recommended against it. He said he didn't like the idea of heat that close to all the nerves.

I had surgery and it worked great! I was up and walking the next day - not fast or far, but walking. I followed the doc's instructions and I am extremely happy with the results.

Good luck on your back.
Thanks sir, it seems the shot works fine for a few. I'll just call them the lucky ones. And for that I'm happy for them. I'm the type that if its not broken don't fix it. But, if it is fix it right. It's sounding more and more like I need to push for the laser surgery. In the long run, probably will be more happy and free of a lot of the pain. I can't help but think if you deaden the never and continue on with businesss as usual. Why would you not cause more damage and possibly not even know it until it us too late.

Thanks for all the info

Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2014, 12:04   #10
MiTTMedic
Guerrilla

Pretty much everyone has a "bulging disc" to some degree. I had an xray that showed one on me that was "impinging" on a nerve. Problem is, I didn't have any symptoms. Not all pain in the back or radiating pain has to do with discs. In my 35+ years in the Physical Therapy realm, I can say I'd have to be peeing on my foot before I'd do surgery without trying everything else first.
I've heard things like "It only hurts when I deadlift", etc.
Long-term surgical outcomes are far from perfect. For that matter, short term outcomes aren't either.
Have they sent you to PT?
Old 10-23-2014, 14:04   #11
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Concur.

The risk vs. reward ratio with spine surgery isn't good enough unless pain and functional deficiencies leave absolutely no other option.

You'd be wise to investigate other options first, IMO.
I'd like to thank each and eveyone of you for your input. I thought my mind was realing from all the reserch I found on line. Now its realing and rocking. Even though I've never met a single one of you and had the pleasure of shaking you hand, I value your opions and comments more than any reviews I've found on line.

I just returned from my family Doctor and this is how the back shapes up.
T12-L1: Normal
L1-L2: A right parcentral disk protrusion slightly deforms the thecal sac.
L2-L3 Bulging of the disk flattens the thecal sac and extends slightly into left neural foramen.
L3-L4: Bulging of the disk minimally deforms the thecal sac.
L4-L5:Bulging of the disk deforms the thecal sac.
L5-S1: Eccentric bulging of the disk deforms the thecal sac and compresses the S1 nerve root on the left.
T6-T7: A small central disk protrusion is present
T9-T10 Degenerative change is present in the facet joints.
T10-T11: Degenerative change is present in the facet joints.
The cord is normal in size and signal.

I'm certainly not a Doctor but it seems the list would be shorter to list the disk that are ok. I'll need to research what the thecal sac is and does.
However, right now I'm thinking the only sac i have left still intact is my nut sac.

My Doc is still highly recommending the pain management with shots on the laser back surgery.

Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2014, 14:44   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill View Post
I'd like to thank each and eveyone of you for your input. I thought my mind was realing from all the reserch I found on line. Now its realing and rocking. Even though I've never met a single one of you and had the pleasure of shaking you hand, I value your opions and comments more than any reviews I've found on line.

I just returned from my family Doctor and this is how the back shapes up.
T12-L1: Normal
L1-L2: A right parcentral disk protrusion slightly deforms the thecal sac.
L2-L3 Bulging of the disk flattens the thecal sac and extends slightly into left neural foramen.
L3-L4: Bulging of the disk minimally deforms the thecal sac.
L4-L5:Bulging of the disk deforms the thecal sac.
L5-S1: Eccentric bulging of the disk deforms the thecal sac and compresses the S1 nerve root on the left.
T6-T7: A small central disk protrusion is present
T9-T10 Degenerative change is present in the facet joints.
T10-T11: Degenerative change is present in the facet joints.
The cord is normal in size and signal.

I'm certainly not a Doctor but it seems the list would be shorter to list the disk that are ok. I'll need to research what the thecal sac is and does.
However, right now I'm thinking the only sac i have left still intact is my nut sac.

My Doc is still highly recommending the pain management with shots on the laser back surgery.

Mine offered me a facet block across four vertebra with RF denervation if it was effective.

I declined till it gets worse; i.e., so bad I can't stand it.

I have rarely seen a surgery be effective and not need additional surgeries in the future.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 15:52   #13
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Mine offered me a facet block across four vertebra with RF denervation if it was effective.

I declined till it gets worse; i.e., so bad I can't stand it.

I have rarely seen a surgery be effective and not need additional surgeries in the future.

TR
Thanks Reaper, if someone would of told me a year ago I'd have back problems with this much pain, I'd laughed in there face. I've always considered my back as the strongest part of my body.
I was wondering why you declined the block (if it's to personal I'll certainly understand). My thinking is I might do more damage down the road ,without feeling any real pain.

Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2014, 16:12   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill View Post
Thanks Reaper, if someone would of told me a year ago I'd have back problems with this much pain, I'd laughed in there face. I've always considered my back as the strongest part of my body.
I was wondering why you declined the block (if it's to personal I'll certainly understand). My thinking is I might do more damage down the road ,without feeling any real pain.
Because I was not comfortable with the potential downside, and I still have a good tolerance for pain.

It is an option for when I can't take it anymore.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 16:51   #15
dollarbill
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Because I was not comfortable with the potential downside, and I still have a good tolerance for pain.

It is an option for when I can't take it anymore.

TR
Understandable, thanks.

Ayn Rand