Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31   #1
Kar358
Asset

Combat Diver Preparation

Last edited by Kar358; 10-16-2014 at 16:06.
Kar358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Every TV Commercial

Every TV commercial break take a deep breath and then while holding it - do 20 good pushups, tie a bowline, girth hitch with extra turn, square knot - then untie them all, then do 20 more pushups and then breath.

When you can do about 150 flutter kicks you're getting close.

Being able to drink water through your nose while on your back didn't hurt back in the old days. Don't know if this modern course will have you do that...

Oh, and using the search feature will find a ton more similar stuff on this site.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47   #3
Kar358
Asset

Thanks! I'm already well above 150 4-counts, but I'll definitely have to try the breath hold pushups. I did try searching the site, but didn't have any success with "Combat Diver", "Diver", "Special Forces Diver", or "Combat Diver Qualification Course." My results on google have been almost equally bare. Did you have a specific past thread in mind that discusses this topic?
Old 07-24-2014, 13:02   #4
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

My question is, and I mean no disrespect, why would a school slot in Combat Diver School be wasted on an ROTC cadet? It used to be hard enough for guys on dive teams to get a school quota. This does not seem like a good use of army resources.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 13:08   #5
Kar358
Asset

I would tend to agree with you, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the opportunity. I'm assuming that its a recruiting tools for Rangers and SF, because the few cadets who have gotten a chance to go in the past have been truly the best in the nation, and will make up a sizable chunk of future spec ops officers.
Old 07-24-2014, 14:32   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
My question is, and I mean no disrespect, why would a school slot in Combat Diver School be wasted on an ROTC cadet? It used to be hard enough for guys on dive teams to get a school quota. This does not seem like a good use of army resources.
I concur completely.

As well as cadets at SFAS.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:57   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
Because we aren't filling the available slots with SF Soldiers.

Side note for the SF Soldiers reading this who are interested in attempting CDQC - pre-SCUBA is back. The CG just signed the new Policy Letter. Check with your DLSMF for details. Fair warning - if you try to go to SFUWO without meeting the new pre-reqs, you will be sent home.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:58   #8
Kar358
Asset

I've heard about the cadets going to SFAS, but I don't believe that program is still operational. Playing devil's advocate, I would argue that any cadet of similar quality to the one's selected for CDQC would be significantly more qualified than the average 18x. After all, pretty much all of these kids have 3.7+ gpa's, 370+ pt scores , and have demonstrated impressive skill/competence in their battalion or the MA for their first two/three/four years. Is it a "waste" if they don't proceed directly to SFQC, even if they will likely be there a few years later?

I'm not intending to be disrespectful, just curious what you think of that.
Old 07-24-2014, 15:06   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
How to fail the SCUBA course,,

Observations from a FOG:

1) I went in 69' and I think one of the little "problems" I pondered was swimming side stroke. It's a stroke that is seldom used and at that time All open top water swims were side stroke. You can switch sides,, as long as your partner agrees. In our case, my partner and I didn't switch. I was on my right, he always stayed on his left.

The kicker was all swims at that time were also with a compass. You had to take into account the arc you generally swim on your side, depending on who was lead.

2) Claustrophobia,, Do everything you can to test yourself. We probably lost 20% of my class because they could not swim in the pitch dark.. I say test, not overcome. I don't think there is a way to "learn" not to be. And I don't want you on my team "trying". This phobia is not only confined spaces. It can come on while swimming in a crystal clear open ocean dive. Looking down into 1500 ft of water when you're 80 ft from the top,, it's awesome,, to some of us..

3)Clearing you sinuses and eustachian tubes as you dive. Failing to properly clear can do tremendous damage to your ears. Part of our final qual was a free dive riding a 20lb anchor to 85ft. Let go of the anchor, strike one. You had two chances, and if you were lucky, one retry on another date. This problem can at times be traced to your childhood. Did you have your tonsils out? Did you have a lot of sore throats or childhood allergies.

Good Luck.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 15:20   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

3.7 plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar358 View Post
... I would argue that any cadet of similar quality to the one's selected for CDQC would be significantly more qualified than the average 18x. After all, pretty much all of these kids have 3.7+ gpa's, 370+ pt scores , and have demonstrated impressive skill/competence in their battalion or the MA for their first two/three/four years. ...
I think that statement is full of shit.

None of it will help you in the deep end of the pool - and as JJ noted - having the lower hatch shut on you and four other guys, is shall we say, interesting. Especially when the water starts coming in.

The first and main part of this course is mental - just like most of the SF courses - then closely followed by physical.

And I just finished up my degree with a 3.789 average and I don't think of myself to my peers as anything but average - nothing special.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 18:36   #11
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I've heard about the cadets going to SFAS, but I don't believe that program is still operational. Playing devil's advocate, I would argue that any cadet of similar quality to the one's selected for CDQC would be significantly more qualified than the average 18x. After all, pretty much all of these kids have 3.7+ gpa's, 370+ pt scores , and have demonstrated impressive skill/competence in their battalion or the MA for their first two/three/four years. Is it a "waste" if they don't proceed directly to SFQC, even if they will likely be there a few years later?

I think you're annoying me. The cadets you're talking about are children. The 18X-rays you're attempting to denigrate with your apples to oranges comparison usually exceed the qualities of your chosen peer group - they just chose a different path in life. As a group they have frequently earned the same or greater GPAs at their respective institutions (earned before enlistment - some even have Masters degrees), they've proven themselves by excelling through an arduous two-year training/education process that few of your peers will ever even attempt, AND they usually have at least one COMBAT tour before they are selected/directed to attend CDQC. I'd recommend you confine your "devil's advocate" attitude to your airsofter acquaintances where your shared experiences have relevance.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 20:08   #12
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I walked away from this, ate dinner, thought about it, and I am responding with a cool head now.

I think you are a immature piece of waste. You believe that you are entitled to all of your desires. You think you are sooo smart and you believe what your parents say about you (that you are the best and can do no wrong). You think you don't have to work and sacrifice to get what you want.

I was a SF "baby," which was before the 18X program, and worked my pre-Army ass off since I was 9-years old until I went into the Army at 24. I went to college when I was in the Army and busted my ass, starting with only 6 credit hours, and earned my BS in 16 fucking months. The University offered me a full ride to get a law degree, but I had to turn them down because I was an Active Duty troop. That University had (has?) a 100% first time Bar Exam pass rate. So fuck you and your "4-year"degree.

I hired a lowly 18X SSG as a GS14 when he ETS'ed AD. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that he joined the Army after he graduated SMU Law School (that's a JD you dumbass). He is now a Reserve Long Tabbed JAG Officer. I've met 18 series men that have advanced and professional degrees, some enlisted for SF after they graduated and worked in their field.

I know that you currently do not have what it takes to be a Special Forces Commissioned or Non-Commissioned Officer as you are a condescending bitch. I would suggest that you either go big Army and get a grip or enlist in the 18X program and prove me wrong - put up or shut up.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 22:55   #13
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I walked away from this, ate dinner, thought about it, and I am responding with a cool head now.

I think you are a immature piece of waste. You believe that you are entitled to all of your desires. You think you are sooo smart and you believe what your parents say about you (that you are the best and can do no wrong). You think you don't have to work and sacrifice to get what you want.

I was a SF "baby," which was before the 18X program, and worked my pre-Army ass off since I was 9-years old until I went into the Army at 24. I went to college when I was in the Army and busted my ass, starting with only 6 credit hours, and earned my BS in 16 fucking months. The University offered me a full ride to get a law degree, but I had to turn them down because I was an Active Duty troop. That University had (has?) a 100% first time Bar Exam pass rate. So fuck you and your "4-year"degree.

I hired a lowly 18X SSG as a GS14 when he ETS'ed AD. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that he joined the Army after he graduated SMU Law School (that's a JD you dumbass). He is now a Reserve Long Tabbed JAG Officer. I've met 18 series men that have advanced and professional degrees, some enlisted for SF after they graduated and worked in their field.

I know that you currently do not have what it takes to be a Special Forces Commissioned or Non-Commissioned Officer as you are a condescending bitch. I would suggest that you either go big Army and get a grip or enlist in the 18X program and prove me wrong - put up or shut up.

Well, that'll just about cover the fly-bys.

BTW: Outstanding post!

LHC

Last edited by Last hard class; 07-25-2014 at 03:20.
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:56   #14
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Sure you don't want to join the SEAL's?.

And you want to join us and work with these third world indigenous people which by your post appears to be several echelons below you in your mind.

This is the kind of arrogance we are dealing with in the Q the self entitled holier than thou ego that we are getting. And we see it every class and every class I make it a point to humble or relieve these guys. Imagine this guy with his ideology sitting with a chief in some village somewhere in the world on a blanket with no formal education!?.

This "kid" with not a single day in the military wants us to share his values of what the perfect soldier is?.

Kid GPA's and college has nothing to do with being a Green Beret, college is indoctrination we want intelligence, drive, initiative, humility and many times more intelligence is found in that 18X or GED soldiers little finger than those 3.7 gpa 370+ PT score super soldier you describe.

Being CDQC does not make you a good Green Beret, there are quite a few CDQC grads who cannot understand our mission and are more concerned with tattoo's of sharks on their legs, long hair and their team shirts than our mission. There is no truth to the CDQC grad is on average a higher quality GB there are alot of GB's who have no desire to be a CDQC q'd soldier. And many very good swimmers feel that if they had wanted to be CDQC then we would have joined the SEAL's or MARSOC/Force Recon.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32   #15
Kar358
Asset

As I said, I didn't mean any disrespect at all with that post - there are obviously 18x's with experience in college and well beyond. Nor am I attempting to compare any enlisted soldier to any cadet, as the comparison is pretty skewed. The 18x I was referring to would be your "off the street" high school grad who "played airsoft" with me, but I do recognize that even they often have significant experience. And I'm not saying I know what it takes to be selected or pass scuba - I wouldn't have posted at all here if I did. I assumed that those factors I mentioned all would give someone a much greater chance of success, but I certainly recognize that there are many others I left off.
Please don't take my comparison as condescension or a sign of arrogance, I'm coming here completely empty handed - as I should.
CDQC is a whole different animal, and as I said previously, I do think that it's an inefficient use of army resources to be sending cadets instead of soldiers.

Last edited by Kar358; 07-25-2014 at 07:38.