Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 06-24-2014, 05:13   #1
LarryW
Area Commander

12ga Trench Gun: VN Era Gift for a Friend

Sirs:

Have an acquaintance whom I (and the rest of the deacons in our church) respect greatly (a DAV, VN era) who is especially fond of his memory of the 12ga he carried in 1968. He's a former Recon Marine. There's a picture (not a very good pic, and I don't have it electronically to share) of the one he carried. Looks like a camo 870, but could be a Winchester 12 (?). I have a lead on a new 870 Defender (6+1) synthetic stock for $400 that looks similar to the one in the pic, and figure I could get the camo pattern fairly close (or just order the thing with a camo stock, etc), and might be able to locate the accessories. Found the heat shield & bayonet lug component, and know where I can get a leather sling (via IMA). The bayonet itself involves a lot of sticker shock, so that'll have to remain a memory for him. It's just kind of a church project we have half-way gotten excited about, and we'd like to see if we could get it assembled for him. (We're thinking for Veterans Day. Have heard of an original for sale, complete, for $4,500, but that's outside of our collective pay grades.)

Any thoughts on what was the most prevalent make/model shotgun carried in VN at the time? Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to put this shotgun together for him? Y'alls help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59   #2
Toaster
Guerrilla

That's a worthy endeavor, I'm glad that y'all have such a good project for a good man.

IIRC some of the guns (models) that were used in Vietnam were also used in WWII. The military has used several models of shotguns throughout the years.

What would probably save some money is if you can find an old police riot shotgun of the same model and try to make it towards what you wanted.

Was his shotgun capable of slam-firing? (If you hold the trigger and pump it, it will shoot each pump until the magazine is empty)

I know the Stevens 520 was one that had a bayonet in WWII that could slam fire, and run from $4000-5000 in original configuration.

I believe the Ithaca 37 was another shotgun used in that era.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch

Last edited by Toaster; 06-24-2014 at 06:20.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:45   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Lary

A side bar: Gifts of weapons and the ATF,, It's illegal. It's called a straw purchase and SCOTUS, in a contested ruling, sided with the ATF.

http://bearingarms.com/split-supreme...-gifts-felons/

You need to have your friend go to your LGA and fill out the ATF paperwork AT THE STORE.

Be aware.

As to the VN era shotguns?? I only witnessed 1/6 doz, some Remington (870 & 12) and Ithaca 37's. I know there were some M97 Winchesters, the original trench gun.

I'm pretty sure the M97 & 37's could slam fire. Not sure what other shotguns could do the same. It's dangerous and I would not knowingly purchase one for anyone..

I never witnessed anyone using the 1917 bayonet. It was a trench warfare type weapon. To LOOOONG..

Most guys would get the barrel chopped to allow easier handling in the bush.

Here are pics of the M97 & 37.

Oh, Contrary to what others may say, that is not me in the picture,, I'm much taller.. I think it's TR??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0006-10IthacaCoHarryHowland_zps3391b922.jpg (88.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg M97Trench-gun.jpg (17.5 KB, 56 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12   #4
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
A side bar: Gifts of weapons and the ATF,, It's illegal. It's called a straw purchase and SCOTUS, in a contested ruling, sided with the ATF.
Gifts are ok as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning the firearm. It doesn't become a straw purchase unless either they are not permitted to own a firearm or they give the purchaser money to buy the weapon. The site you linked corrected the article regarding gifts.

Quote:
You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately
purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party.

..... if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present,
Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a.
Page 4 for question 11a: LINK

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 06-24-2014 at 07:15.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52   #5
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

At one time I owned a Ithaca Model 37. In fact, it was the first weapon I ever purchased. I can attest to the fact the Model 37 can be "slam fired." Great weapon, wish I still had it. One other viable option is to look on your local Armslist.com & Gunbroker.com for said weapons.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:55   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have a Model 97 and it too, can be slam fired...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:16   #7
LarryW
Area Commander

Thanks, y'all!

Very good gouge. Esp re: straw buys. Hadn't thought much on that. Dang, yer right, BPK, that knife is a loooooong way to go home! Bet there were Germans changing their drawers when they saw one of those coming thru the ditch! Our Am Legion Post is raffling off a Henry Golden .22 mag as a fund raiser, and what we're doing to deal with the straw buy issue, is buying the rifle but leaving it at the FFL. The winner of the raffle will then go there and fill out their own paper work and pick it up. ($5/ticket and only 200 tickets to go!)

Thanks again for the leads. All of them found a home. God bless.

Last edited by LarryW; 06-24-2014 at 09:39.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:58   #8
VVVV

Mossberg 500s were used in Vietnam.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54   #9
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Oh, Contrary to what others may say, that is not me in the picture,, I'm much taller.. I think it's TR??
Naw, TR didn't start to wear glasses until he was much older...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 15:51   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Gifts are ok as long as the recipient is not prohibited from owning the firearm. It doesn't become a straw purchase unless either they are not permitted to own a firearm or they give the purchaser money to buy the weapon. The site you linked corrected the article regarding gifts.

Page 4 for question 11a: LINK
Not according to latest from the SCOTUS.

JJ is correct, you can no longer buy a weapon for ANYONE else, whether they are permitted to legally own or not.

The question on the 4473, 12.a. asks, "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?"

If you are buying it for someone else (even though they are permitted to buy it themselves), you are not, and the SCOTUS has upheld this interpretation. Expect the 4473 to be updated soon to reflect this decision.

No answer on how long you have to own it before you can resell it or give it away.

As to the question about shotguns in Vietnam, I suspect that the Remington Models 11 and 870, Ithaca 37, Mossberg 500, and Winchester 97s and 12s were all there.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 16:05   #11
Bob45nm
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Mossberg 500s were used in Vietnam.
I carried one on both A-108 and A-105. Real good for clearing brush.
Old 06-24-2014, 17:49   #12
mojaveman
Area Commander

In Germany in the early '80s we used the M1200 while working physical security. They were pretty well worn though and I'm sure that they were left overs from Vietnam.

Last edited by mojaveman; 07-03-2014 at 18:35.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote