Old 01-26-2014, 09:47   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Toe Pain?

Ok. I am having pain in the tip of my toe (R foot) next to my big toe X three weeks.

Pain is sharp and tender to the touch. Only at the very tip of the toe.
Has not subsided/increased.
No redness/swelling
No ingrown nail
No apparent foreign matter ie splinter
No recall of any injury ie stumping or kicking anything
Pain began slowly but developed quickly over a couple of days

Suffer from poor blood flow in all digits in cold weather including hands.

Current medications:
aspirin
carvedilol
Coumadin
benazepril
furosemide

I have tried soaking in warm/hot water with no results.

Should I just go ahead and amputate?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:15   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Gout.

Quit snivelling.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Gout.

Quit snivelling.
Oh Snap!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27   #4
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Damn Dusty...if I were sniveling, I wouldn't have considered amputation Actually this boo boo really hurts and I live with other pain every day.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 01-26-2014 at 14:42.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 14:07   #5
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Damn Dusty...if I were sniveling, I wouldn't have considered amputation Actually this boo boo really hurts and I live with pain every day.
I feel ya.

Does anybody else remember that guy 15 or twenty years ago who kept telling his wife, kids, friends and doctor that his big toe hurt...BAD!?

Nobody would listen, so he shot the toe off down in his basement with a .45 and said, "Now, do you believe me?" True story.

Don't shoot your toe off, Snaquebite. Just go to a podiatrist and refuse to leave until he diagnoses and treats it...
Old 01-26-2014, 14:48   #6
cbtengr
Area Commander

Certain foods are a trigger for gout, I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed as having it. Up until then the only person I had ever heard complain about it was my grandma so I figured it was an old persons malady. I could not have been more wrong. That year for Christmas I had recd. a lot of items that contained chocolate and it seems I overdosed on it and it went right to my feet and I could barely walk. I saw my GP and he diagnosed it right away and told me to stay away from certain foods like chocolate, I did and the pain went away. Grandmas trigger was pork steak. By all means see your doc.
Old 01-26-2014, 22:27   #7
Koldsteel
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Certain foods are a trigger for gout, I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed as having it. Up until then the only person I had ever heard complain about it was my grandma so I figured it was an old persons malady. I could not have been more wrong. That year for Christmas I had recd. a lot of items that contained chocolate and it seems I overdosed on it and it went right to my feet and I could barely walk. I saw my GP and he diagnosed it right away and told me to stay away from certain foods like chocolate, I did and the pain went away. Grandmas trigger was pork steak. By all means see your doc.
Nitrates in these foods are the culpret. Aged cheese, red wine, and processed meats are common high nitrate foods which exacerbate gout symptoms.
Koldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 00:05   #8
wook
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I feel ya.

Does anybody else remember that guy 15 or twenty years ago who kept telling his wife, kids, friends and doctor that his big toe hurt...BAD!?

Nobody would listen, so he shot the toe off down in his basement with a .45 and said, "Now, do you believe me?" True story.

Don't shoot your toe off, Snaquebite. Just go to a podiatrist and refuse to leave until he diagnoses and treats it...
I'm with Dusty on this one. I would see the podiatrist. Gout is on the differential, but there are several other ailments that can cause this as well.

Thanks.

Wook
wook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 13:52   #9
Penn
Area Commander

Hobbling around for several weeks now, finally made an appointment and the outcome was gout.

Quote:
While gout has had a long history of being associated with rich older men, in actual fact, gout can affect anyone of any age or sex. The condition is caused by a buildup of uric acid in the blood that accumulates as sharp crystals in the joints of your big toes.
Long term diet change is the right direction.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 16:45   #10
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Below the waist -

Foot powder.

Still - see your Doc

In the meantime...Colchicine is good for Gout

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 17:57   #11
Penn
Area Commander

Colchicine is what was scripted, in addition to advil, and 2+ qt of water per day minimum.
What I thought was a disabling injury due to age, recent accident, and the culminating after effects of the shut down, becoming stationary, is in fact dietary.
As a professional french trained chef, I never considered looking at my diet, which from any POV is resourced as the finest product in the market place, in all food categories. Sometimes its hard to step back and examine your input into your own demise.
I'll start a food profile in the GG thread for this and other conditions that may benefit from a dietary change, but may not have the time or resources, to construct menus/recipes that enhance a good healthy lifestyle.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:53   #12
MR2
Quiet Professional

Sitting is the new smoking...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote