Old 10-23-2004, 20:24   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Non-reimbursed expenditures

AD only, how much of your own money do you spend each year on gear (including weapons, ammo and other gear) you use for work? For me, this is interesting public policy information.

If you are no longer on AD, please indicate from when you were on AD.

Secondary question: Should these expenditures be reimbursed by the government?

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:42   #2
Viking
Quiet Professional

I would estimate that I spent about $800.00 last year. I had a deployment to OEF that I bought stuff for. All we were issued at the GIP was the MOLLE gear so I spent some money on kit. Hiking boots, good socks, no SPEAR (cold weather) gear was available so I spent money on some of that, uniform mods and other assorted stuff. Upon return, I spent a lot on refit. Gear that didn't work was replaced, the boots and uniforms were worn out and needed replaced etc... I wish we could get reimbursed from the army. We have an SOR but we got less than a third of the items requested so I don't lose any sleep over spending a little to make life better. Just my .02.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:55   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
AD only, how much of your own money do you spend each year on gear (including weapons, ammo and other gear) you use for work? For me, this is interesting public policy information.

If you are no longer on AD, please indicate from when you were on AD.

Secondary question: Should these expenditures be reimbursed by the government?

I would have to agree that $800-$1000 per year is about what I spend as well, though if a big deployment was coming up, or you needed big ticket items like optics or armor, it could be a lot more.

The life you are saving/making easier is your own, so I do not regret it, though I wish it was reimbursable.

I believe that the optimum solution is to allocate money for annual gear purchases at every level from Group all the way down to the individual team member, with receipts required, and a hand receipt for anything over $100 or so that is not expendable.

I believe that it is deductible on your taxes if you hit a certain threshold.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:37   #4
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Not presently Active

I retired in 90 after 23 years, mostly SF, and will say that I spent tons of money in the 70s while in 10th due to the lousy military gear for cold weather, skiing, and mountain climbing. One year it was to the tune of just over 2000.00 dollars at EMS, and a few other well known climbing stores and cold weather stores. During the 80s the money slowed somewhat as I was in Panama and Central and South America. I would estimate about 400 to 600 a year, but if you ask my wife she would just say to dam much.

Should I be reimbused, would have loved to have been but the army did issue me equipment. I just didn't like it as it sucked the big one. Could I have functioned with it, yes but not very comfortably and not all that efficently. When a mountain bag takes up most of the ruck then it is time to get a gore tex bag that does not and that does not stay wet for the rest fo the trip. Try skiing with a 90 pound wet bag on your back on a narrow trail, down hill, with skiis that were designed by a moron and bindings that are cabled and slip out of their settings, attached to leather boots that have no support at all. You get the picture.

I know, stop whinning.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:06   #5
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The life you are saving/making easier is your own, so I do not regret it, though I wish it was reimbursable.
TR
I agree w/TR 100%. I can remember several years ago when one of the Team Sergeants in my company with black side experience wrote up a proposal for a few good styles of concealed carry hoslters. The unit then bought us the cheapest nylon Uncle Mikes holster for concealed carry they could find and virtually nobody used it because of its poor retention.

Since that time I have spared no expense to have the gear that I need, reguardless of whats on the SOR or issued at CIF/OCIE.

Let me give you a few examples of what expenses we're incurring for this upcoming deployment.

Civilian clothes: Guidance has been issued on the wear of nonstandard uniforms for the deployment but no plan to cover the cost has been addressed. Block leave starts tommorow for 2 weeks and the trip starts soon after that. No decision will be made in time to make a purchase and recieve delivery prior to deployment. The answer has been for guys to purchase out of pocket durable gear (5.11) for use. We wont be reimbursed for the expense, but need the gear, so I'll have it.

1911 upgrades: We recieved roughly 42 1911 pistols in the compnay, (my team got 7 of them). The teams submitted for purchase of upgrade parts as these pistols are in poor repair. Approximately $300 per pistol for parts (spring/pin upgrade kit, 18.5# recoil spring, Novak sights, extended safety, trigger upgrade, and a new barrel). This amount got shot down because "we're getting issued new.45s at some point in the future". Again, I choose to carry the .45 over the M9 so I'll make the necessary upgrades to make it reliable, even if the unit wont pay for it.

I'm also a guy that doesnt wait for the last minute to do things. I hate procrastination! When I see a good piece of gear that makes my job easier, more comfortable or more secure....I buy it. Many times, down the road the unit purchases it as well, but I figure why should I have to wait?

After about 11 years of this, I have compiled virtually a complete issue of CIF gear, most of my own team gear, and several comfort items that I regularly use. About the only thing I have issued is body armor, and a few 10th Group specific items (skis, pac boots, overwhites). I doubt I could apply a cost to what I've spent over that many years, but its been mainly for 2 reasons. First, because I never want to be in the posistion of needing something that I didnt have ; secondly, because in 19 years of service I've grown tired of dealing with CIF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947
I retired in 90 after 23 years, mostly SF, and will say that I spent tons of money in the 70s while in 10th due to the lousy military gear for cold weather, skiing, and mountain climbing.
LR, this is one place that I think we've finally gotten it right, (except for having support kids work in OCIE and issuing it out to thier buddies). Of course there is always newer, better, lighter gear coming out but 10th Group seems to have had a head start on a lot of this gear years before any of the other units in SF or the Army.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:18   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

This is a particular sore point with me. I figure that if the military is going to send you off to do something then they should provide you with the resources with which to do it and not apply their logic of one size fits all folks, all missions, and all situations. I never could figure out the logic involved in how folks were outfitted for mission requirements when it just made a whole lot more sense to let the team fiqure out what they needed and then provide them with the bucks to get what they needed either in country or prior to deployment. One of my threatened courts martials involved my audacity of allowing folks to buy dry suits on the economy, get them fitted to them personally, and adding them to their personal clothing list so that they could take them with them to their next assignment if they were going to a dive team. They tried to hang me for misappropriation of government funds, however it wasn't our government's funds that I used and I took great pleasure in telling them when they started their Article 32 investigation to go pound sand. Damn I just love bureaucrates

Jack Moroney
Old 10-24-2004, 11:47   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I wonder why instead of having a civilian gear section in the Clothing Sales Store and a Government credit card (DPP) which can be used for everything including buying gas, they don't just put an optional gear section in the unit CIF and let you sign (and be accountable) for whatever you want.

Set up a catalog of items, with additional ones able to be nominated by users. Stock with basic non-custom fit items.

Teams get a certain amount annually to get and maintain team gear. Pre-deployment, teams get an amount of money to spend as they see fit, based on the length of the upcoming deployment.

Company commanders and above have an additional slush fund to allocate out to teams as they see fit.

Example, new 18C arrives, and gets his issue and MOS specific gear, plus the ability to select (for issue) up to $X worth of HSLD equipment, be it a vest, stove, weapons light, tent, sleeping bag, ruck, etc. Temporary loaners are available for the guy to decide what works best for him. DX is authorized.

Everybody gets $Y amount per year to update and maintain cutting edge equipment to make them more survivable, effective, or comfortable. Team guys and SOT-As get the most $. After the one time big allowance for new guys to initially gear up, as an incentive, guys with the most team time get the most allowance.

Guys who are deploying get an additional $Z per month to get more/better/newer gear. 179 days deployed in 12 months and you get an extra year's allowance.

You could limit certain items (like vests, etc.) to team guys, SOT-As or 18 CMF and keep the latest Gore-Tex Gucci gear off of the weenies from the PAC and the S-4 Shop as well.

When you leave the unit, all durable items have to be returned, or allow guys with a certain amout of team time (or moving to another team) to keep a certain amount of the gear.

The allowance can be carried over from FY to FY, but never converted to cash to keep it from turrning into new drapes for the house while the soldier is deployed.

Just a few random thoughts.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-24-2004, 14:06   #8
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Non-reimbursed expenditures

You guys would of went crazy in SOG's House 40.

BMT
Old 10-24-2004, 19:35   #9
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

I'm young, no wife, I don't drink....and I recognize myself in the definition of Militarymorons.com. I spent many thousand dollars this years.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:26   #10
Razor
Quiet Professional

Viking (and anyone else for that matter), I'd love to see your thoughts on gear that worked and didn't work in the Professional Gear forum. Your collected experiences could come in handy for guys getting ready to head downrange and are putting out their own cash for non-issue items.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:56   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Viking (and anyone else for that matter), I'd love to see your thoughts on gear that worked and didn't work in the Professional Gear forum. Your collected experiences could come in handy for guys getting ready to head downrange and are putting out their own cash for non-issue items.
Concur.

Love to hear from you guys, and help some others as well.

TR

Old 10-25-2004, 19:06   #12
Viking
Quiet Professional

wilco