Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-05-2012, 16:45   #1
SF Candidate

SF workday

I'm wondering what the typical work day for a QP consists of. I'm sure it will vary with the MOS but when the alarm rings in the AM what goes on?

I have read a bunch of books on SF but they tend to focus on Pre-Deployment and deployment.
44025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 17:12   #2
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboog View Post
I'm wondering what the typical work day for a QP consists of. I'm sure it will vary with the MOS but when the alarm rings in the AM what goes on?

I have read a bunch of books on SF but they tend to focus on Pre-Deployment and deployment.
In order for us to accurately answer your question in the manner you would like us to, please provide us an example of what type of response you are looking for. You can use your own typical daily routine as the model with which to instruct us. Make sure you don't leave out any details. Also, as each day can be different from the next, please start with a typical Monday, say at 0400am, and continue on until Sunday, midnight. Don't spare any activities or special occasions. Every detail is important!

Help us help you by demonstration please.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 17:40   #3
Snaquebite
Area Commander

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 18:38   #4
SF Candidate

Blue, please excuse my ignorance. I have no experience with the army.
I know the recruiters come to the office and tackle their mission for the day. visiting schools, calling prospects or taking care of paperwork. I'm wondering what an SF soldier with such a vast skill set and intellect does. If its even acceptable to talk about.
I get to work at about 6 AM and prep the boat. I advise the other Deckhands on their duties consistent with the type of fishing trip ahead of us. I collect money and pay the crew. I throw a lot of anchors and Cut a lot of fish. These are some of the things i do when the boat sails. When it's at the dock we do a lot of maintenance. Sanding, painting and more sanding. I also have the prestigious job of changing the oil on the three Caterpillar engines about once a month.
Old 12-05-2012, 18:45   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

In case you missed it, you were given an assignment.

Quote:
start with a typical Monday, say at 0400am, and continue on until Sunday, midnight. Don't spare any activities or special occasions. Every detail is important!

Waiting

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23   #6
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Mboog...

You have 2 choices now, and only one of them is truly acceptable:
1. Answer the query by a QP fully, so that you might get a full answer from a QP
2. Apologize, STFU, do some research, do some PT, study, do more PT, Keep yourself STFU, get to IET/AIT, BAC, SOPC, SFAS (and get selected), get to SFQC (and graduate), get to a TEAM and find out what a day looks like.

I hear a clock ticking.

Troll sends.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58   #7
SF Candidate

My apologies. It seemed like it was an acceptable question, apparently it was not.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

If you don't have anything to do, don't do it here.

Now, someone get me another cup of coffee!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04   #9
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

M,

The community here is very harsh at times because we have to be. I framed my response to you in an effort to highlight the volume of information you asked us to provide to you, in a virtual world, an absolute stranger. Research research research. Learn it here and now, and understand that if you are serious about this path, you will research research research just about every class, course, topic, village, personality, region, country, TTP, on your own time, prior to asking for help. It is what separates us from other organizations that can summons a staff or research agency to answer their questions for them. Every QP here has devoted much of their personal time to becoming smarter, faster, stronger, and improving our weakest link of the chains that bind us together as a Team.

Your post hits home not only professionally, but personally as well as our time is heavily invested. Why should we freely give it away to someone who doesn't appear to even have taken his own time to try and understand the depth of his own question?

Your post strongly indicates you have not considered your audience. Mentoring is conducted here daily, I still log on to broaden my horizon whenever I can. Frame your questions here carefully, and you will get a response that is equally crafted with care.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Workdays were 24 hours - most times we were able to get what we needed to get done in 12-18 hours - sometimes less, sometimes not.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
M,

The community here is very harsh at times because we have to be. I framed my response to you in an effort to highlight the volume of information you asked us to provide to you, in a virtual world, an absolute stranger. Research research research. Learn it here and now, and understand that if you are serious about this path, you will research research research just about every class, course, topic, village, personality, region, country, TTP, on your own time, prior to asking for help. It is what separates us from other organizations that can summons a staff or research agency to answer their questions for them. Every QP here has devoted much of their personal time to becoming smarter, faster, stronger, and improving our weakest link of the chains that bind us together as a Team.

Your post hits home not only professionally, but personally as well as our time is heavily invested. Why should we freely give it away to someone who doesn't appear to even have taken his own time to try and understand the depth of his own question?

Your post strongly indicates you have not considered your audience. Mentoring is conducted here daily, I still log on to broaden my horizon whenever I can. Frame your questions here carefully, and you will get a response that is equally crafted with care.
Well stated but, still too many variables.

There were no "typical" days, some routine, but not typical, and every team had different responsibilities whether in garrison, the field, or on deployment.

While the road to get there is difficult, the reward often is still only what each person makes of it. If it's a "schedule" this person is looking for, SF is probably not the best fit. As most QPs know, being flexible is still too ridged for the fluidity needed to accomplish the mission. You can't put a time stamp on that.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:33   #12
bluebb
Quiet Professional

My day...

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up, I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:53   #13
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
M,

Understood, thank you.
Old 12-06-2012, 17:31   #14
head
Quiet Professional

The day usually started like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsMguGrUVo ..the rest is just a blur.
Old 12-06-2012, 21:59   #15
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

One more Monday this week and I can pour a couple fingers of W2O and prop my feet up (unless something "interesting" happens). When was the last time you had a predictable Monday Mboog? (Actually, today was pretty good for a change - some of our members here did a smashup job of setting up/supporting the SF Sniper Competition and I got to take the afternoon off to go see how our Regimental Brethren were doing!)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote