Quiet Professional

Ain't Heard No Bitchin' About this

New Special Forces - SpecOps Fitness Test

http://www.military.com/military-fit...est?ESRC=eb.nl

BMT
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25   #2
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

First I've seen of it. But with so many teams doing so many different PT programs. It's probably out there somewhere. Though I wouldn't call it a "Special-Anything-Fitness Test."
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I'm nearly 61, and I could still pass that test (with the exception of benching 80% of my bodyweight-400 lbs is a few ounces more than I could push).
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57   #4
medic&commo
Quiet Professional

Good idea. Sure beats the "run, dodge & jump" for testing the fitness of special operations folks.
m&c
medic&commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
400 lbs is a few ounces more than I could push).

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I'm nearly 61, and I could still pass that test (with the exception of benching 80% of my bodyweight-400 lbs is a few ounces more than I could push).
Dusty, seeing the ruck weight diff between their table and the description below in the article, which is it, 45# or 75#? Or is this just one of those military.com things?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Dusty, seeing the ruck weight diff between their table and the description below in the article, which is it, 45# or 75#? Or is this just one of those military.com things?
You got me. It's a whole different world, now.
Old 10-29-2012, 15:38   #8
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Nothing new here

This is similar to the Upper-body Round Robin (UBRR), with only minor differences. Over the last few years at least, the Senior Leaders Course (SLC) or the new ANCOC has been putting guys through the UBRR. Not only at the NCO Academy is it present but several of my friends from different Groups have been doing it there for a while.

IMHO, it is a much better gauge of physical fitness than the APFT.

CH

Last edited by hotshot; 10-29-2012 at 16:06. Reason: spelling
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16   #9
booker
Guerrilla

Better description here
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23   #10
Unapologetic Soldier
SF Candidate

UBRR

Found this yesterday, thought I’d put myself through it today. Not proud of it and thought twice about posting it. None the less here it is.

Push up’s 51 reps 122 points
Sit up’s 43 reps 109 points
Dead hang pull up’s 15 reps 127 points
Dips 27 reps 142 points
Bench press (160lbs) 20reps 142 points
Rope climb with body armor Pass
Kipping pull up’s 26 reps 140 points
25 meter sprint 21.0 sec 160 points
5 mile run FAIL

I’ve been doing nothing but CrossFit for the last eight months; the longest I’ve ran is a mile since I started. I made it 3.5 miles when I felt a sharp pain in my left calf. It wasn’t bad but hurt enough that I couldn’t run at a decent pace. Before the run I accumulated 1242 points but failed the test due to failing the run. Need to put some extra work in on sit up’s and running. I’ll give it two weeks and try it again……….
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06   #11
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unapologetic Soldier View Post
Found this yesterday, thought I’d put myself through it today. Not proud of it and thought twice about posting it. None the less here it is.

Push up’s 51 reps 122 points
Sit up’s 43 reps 109 points
Dead hang pull up’s 15 reps 127 points
Dips 27 reps 142 points
Bench press (160lbs) 20reps 142 points
Rope climb with body armor Pass
Kipping pull up’s 26 reps 140 points
25 meter sprint 21.0 sec 160 points
5 mile run FAIL

I’ve been doing nothing but CrossFit for the last eight months; the longest I’ve ran is a mile since I started. I made it 3.5 miles when I felt a sharp pain in my left calf. It wasn’t bad but hurt enough that I couldn’t run at a decent pace. Before the run I accumulated 1242 points but failed the test due to failing the run. Need to put some extra work in on sit up’s and running. I’ll give it two weeks and try it again……….
I don't think it's a bad thing to post this. Your fitness in some areas is good. BUT to be a good runner, you have to run. Especially for longer distances. Most can fake a two miler (even if you don't run, two miles isn't that hard) but not a five miler.

There's some good running threads here. There's a good running program in "Get Selected." Start slow but you'll build up.

Also if you attempt to run 5 miles (or whatever distance) again, never quit. You may be down to a snail's pace but once you quit, it becomes easier to quit the next time.

Keep up the PT and good luck.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:02   #12
Benny
Asset

I'm a part of a Sapper Reserve unit and we have our own "test" and OML board. I think this would actually be a really good addition to it.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 20:33   #13
psherlin
Asset

I guess now that the regular Army upped their PT test standards someone thought there should be one for Spec Ops. I kind of liked the regular PT test, the two mile run, then the 12 mile ruck race followed by breakfast.
psherlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 22:11   #14
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
This is similar to the Upper-body Round Robin (UBRR), with only minor differences. Over the last few years at least, the Senior Leaders Course (SLC) or the new ANCOC has been putting guys through the UBRR. Not only at the NCO Academy is it present but several of my friends from different Groups have been doing it there for a while.

IMHO, it is a much better gauge of physical fitness than the APFT.

CH
SWC NCO Academy does this in lieu of some type of Strong man Compitetion. The reason and why changes with each new Command there along with instructors. But If you're going to SLC (ANCOC) best look at this test along with your DL stuff.

I too feel it is a great test.. It is a much better gauge of physical fitness than the APFT. But takes forever to take so for Conventional Units I can't see them doing it.

It's typically used by OTHER Units as there APFT.

Current APFT or which ever one they are calling it now is a joke. Never test your physical fitness, just a OER bullet for Commanders.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 22:21   #15
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

It looks like fun to me... once I lose another 20 pounds - for that 80% of body weight bench press.