Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 09-14-2012, 16:23   #1
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Am I missing something here?

Does anyone know why this Sergeants unit is not involved?

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 1:36 PM PDT Updated: Sep 14, 2012 1:36 PM PDT
By Kelly Joyce, Reporter

The Leadingham family is a group of survivors. In March a fire started by a fan in the kid's room destroyed their home.

Harley Leadingham says, "Me and my brother smelled the smoke so we looked in the back and it was a small fire to begin with but by the time we were outside it had engulfed the entire room."

Three days after the fire, Harley's father, Army Sergeant Richard Leadingham was deployed to Afghanistan.

Since the fire destroyed their home, Linda Leadingham and her four kids have been living in a tent city of sorts in their back yard. She says, "Me and my 10 year old sleep in this tent, Ashley sleeps in here, and TJ sleeps in there."

Before he left, Richard hooked up water for his family to take warm showers, the kids salvaged their refrigerator and microwave, and neighbors have been like angels. A business owner next door gives the family power.

Some teens from the Marion Military academy helped clean out the house, and complete strangers have donated time and money.

Linda says, "The other day I came out and there was an envelope with money in it sitting on my van."

The military academy also started a website and an effort called Operation Rebuild. They are asking for donations to help build the Leadingham family a new home. So far, they've been able to get a roof, siding, windows and nails donated from area businesses.

The plan is to have the new home built by January, to surprise Richard Leadingham when he returns from war.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/19...#ixzz26Ut5qptK
Old 09-14-2012, 18:39   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Sounds like he might be in the Guard.

No idea why they didn't leave him back a week or two to get things right, but I am sure there is a reason.

Probably not a lot of stay behind members to take care of business for the FRG, but someone sure has been helping them out.

God Bless them all, and may their husband/father return soon.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 20:15   #3
MTN Medic
Quiet Professional

+1 TR that makes me feel good when I leave to hear stories like this; people taking care of their deployed soldiers' families. It is hard enough to deploy when everything is fine. Quite another thing when your house is partially burned down.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42   #4
levinj
Auxiliary

Asking out of ignorance here, but would activated NG qualify for Army Emergency Relief? This sounds like something that organization could help out with.

Best of luck to the family, and my sincere appreciation for the folks helping them out.
levinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

No mention of Insurance

No mention of insurance in the story.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:33   #6
JimP
Quiet Professional

I'm highly skeptical. Just 'cause its in the paper don't make it true. this one stinks.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 14:03   #7
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'm highly skeptical. Just 'cause its in the paper don't make it true. this one stinks.
That's what I'm getting at, I just can't see some soldiers unit letting his or her family live in tents. National Guard or not.
Old 09-17-2012, 15:04   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

A big reason to live in a tent

A big reason to live in a tent out in the back yard.

The local Red Cross will usually put a family up in a hotel for a week or more but ...........

A total loss is not usually a "total" loss. Could be a number of good things that didn't suffer water, smoke or fire damage. IE tools equipmet in a garage.

The local utility usually cuts power/utilities to a burned home so no alarms, etc.

Staying can help secure the home and lot.

Or - they were under insured and the cost to repair/replace is not all covered.

Still a good reporter should have covered those angles when doing the story.

But homes burn every day in this country and most civilians get very little local consideration except maybe a sad story in the local paper, a collection at work and a few change jars at local quick stops.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote