Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 07-29-2012, 00:06   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

92nd Special Forces?!!

Were any of you senior gentlemen in or ever heard of a 92nd Special Forces?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

I used the search button to see if anyone has mentioned this outfit and didn't get any hits, so if I missed any previous posts, or ignorant of its existence, I apologize.

I was in the BW3 up in Ft Collins, today, and was having a very nice discussion with an older gent concerning fly fishing, places to fish, wildlife we have encountered and such. The conversation changed topics to how we got into fishing and the outdoors and I mentioned the military. The guy asked what I did in the military and I said "Army" both AD and NG. He inquired what I did and I told him. That's when the conversation went downhill.

This guy started going on about being a master gunner sniper in the 92nd Special Forces, and got shot in the knee while being a door gunner on a chopper in Vietnam. He mentioned being shot down multiple times during his tour. Was this the real Rambo sitting down along the bar? Was SF in 'Nam? Responsible for million dollar pieces of equipment? Could drive a tank and fly a helicopter gunship?! If he was supposed to be able to fly a gunship then what the hell was he doing standing in the door working the 60?. He threw out various other units that he was part of but due to the loud noise in the restaurant on top of his mumblings, I couldn't make out what other units he mentioned.

Now, I'm going to state the obvious that this was absolute BS. If my statements merit an online beat-down, forgive me for not being that bright, but I don't recall any mention of the 92nd SF in any of the history or heraldry of the regiment. And WTF is a "Master Gunner Sniper"?!!

I don't know why the guy had to ruin such a nice conversation about fly-fishing and encounters with big game. I had the feeling that if I said "Navy Seal", "Force Recon", "Airborne Ranger", "Elite Mess-Kit Repair", or the ill-fated "Walker Brigade" he would have invented and claimed membership of an equally obscure unit affiliated with whichever outfit I mentioned. He looked like a "lifer" or career gamer and didn't appear nearly old enough to be a Vietnam veteran. It's too bad because he seemed like a genuinely nice dude, and since I was too tired from moving all my crap into storage while my house sells to call him out, I just got up and left with a bad case of indigestion.

When I got home, I tried some google-foo and the only thing that came close was a web site of the "Mystics of the Force": 92nd Marine Special Forces Division. http://mysticsoftheforce.com/ Again, I'm sorry, but that is some seriously bat-sh*t crazy, living-in-mom's-basement stuff.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 07-29-2012 at 00:09.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51   #2
Kyobanim

Master Gunner Sniper is short for Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Bet he had VERA out in the trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim View Post
Master Gunner Sniper is short for Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Bet he had Vera out in the trunk. Never know what you're going to run into. Best to be prepared.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Some of these guys are just plain bat shit crazy!

I had a guy on a Reserve ODA who was a pathological liar. He'd spin yarns that just couldn't be true. (I attributed it to bein a 12B !) I knew he was full of shit when he spun one that included me... and I said, "Dude, I wasn't there." He argued with me.

IF I'm in a bar and mention scuba diving, some bozo will chime in with, "I used to do that. Strap the oxygen tanks on and..." - yeah, right.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03   #5
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Some of these guys are just plain bat shit crazy!
OK, I guess it’s going to take a commo guy to school y’all on this. Pay attention. 92nd SFG(A) is code. In order to decipher the secret, you need to understand the formula for a longwire. There’s lots of Bravos and Charlies here so I’ll walk you thru this…real slow.

1. You take 492, multiply that by (n-.05). In this case “n” equals 10 for 10th group. You end up with 492*9.95 which equals 4895.4th Group

2. Take 4895.4th Group and divide that by the frequency…in this case the sum of 1st, 3rd,5th, and 7th Groups (which comes out to 16th Group). The total is 309.625th Group.

3. Divide 309.625th Group by 3.3256 (3rd Group, ODA 3256)

4. Result is 92nd SFG(A) with a little extra bullshit left over.

So, who’s bat-shit crazy now?
Old 07-29-2012, 22:17   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

You should just be glad that he let you live after spilling the beans about the 92nd...
...most of those guys from the 92nd SFG(A) are harder than nails!

You should see the really cool group coins that those old guys from the 92nd SFG(A) carry...
...they look just like a Quarter.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40   #7
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
You should just be glad that he let you live after spilling the beans about the 92nd...
...most of those guys from the 92nd SFG(A) are harder than nails!

You should see the really cool group coins that those old guys from the 92nd SFG(A) carry...
...they look just like a Quarter.
I heard it was 3 quarters, a nickel, a dime, and two pennies taped together...just saying'.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I exposed a fraud over the weekend that gave me his ODA number but when I asked "what company and what bat are you in?" he could not answer. He's currently assigned to the North Dakota "Special Forces"....... at least thats what hes telling all the women....
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
OK, I guess it’s going to take a commo guy to school y’all on this. Pay attention. 92nd SFG(A) is code. In order to decipher the secret, you need to understand the formula for a longwire. There’s lots of Bravos and Charlies here so I’ll walk you thru this…real slow.

1. You take 492, multiply that by (n-.05). In this case “n” equals 10 for 10th group. You end up with 492*9.95 which equals 4895.4th Group

2. Take 4895.4th Group and divide that by the frequency…in this case the sum of 1st, 3rd,5th, and 7th Groups (which comes out to 16th Group). The total is 309.625th Group.

3. Divide 309.625th Group by 3.3256 (3rd Group, ODA 3256)

4. Result is 92nd SFG(A) with a little extra bullshit left over.

You took an oath NEVER to reveal this formula,NEVER!!!!!!.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I exposed a fraud over the weekend that gave me his ODA number but when I asked "what company and what bat are you in?" he could not answer.
Hey - another generation or two and those of us whose ODAs only had 1, 2, or 3 numbers will be called out as frauds by the new guys who never heard of such a thing.

As far as the 92nd SF goes - I think I saw it mentioned in the chapter on Area 51 in either Eric Haney's or Jose Harris' book. Damn CRS ever since that damn ink pen flashed in my face!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 16:25   #11
letinsh
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
OK, I guess it’s going to take a commo guy to school y’all on this. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post

You took an oath NEVER to reveal this formula,NEVER!!!!!!.......

Big Teddy
It doesn't matter, commo's all theory, anyway
Old 07-30-2012, 17:35   #12
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinsh View Post
Blasphemer!!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47   #13
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinsh View Post
Unproven theory in the case of many 'communicators'.... as evidenced by the 'no chow, no bullets' proof....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 14:49   #14
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Unproven theory in the case of many 'communicators'.... as evidenced by the 'no chow, no bullets' proof....
Oh...now there you go...it's all about me all the sudden.

{in nasally whining falsetto voice} "I'm hungry. I don't have any chow." "I'm out of ammo." "I'm tired of walking 'cause we can't talk to the exfil bird."

Well, did y'all ever consider what your commo guy was going thru? Any of you had to tap out code at 18 GPM with a painful hangnail on your index finger 'cause the "all important" team certification caused you to have to cancel your manicure appointment? Or how many of you had the almost hopeless task of having to motivate a Warrant to have to pedal the G-76 just a little faster for the 5 minutes or so you needed to transmit that message. Ever had to try to explain to a Charlie that "P" for plenty does not fit into a quarrter wave dipole antenna formula. Nope, I don't think so. For Shame.

Last edited by Don; 07-31-2012 at 14:52.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 15:51   #15
CSB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
having to motivate a Warrant to have to pedal the G-76 just a little faster
Hey, that's was a first lieutenant's job. BTDT.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote