Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 07-02-2012, 10:04   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

‘What I’m fighting to make free’ Timmy Oliver liar and fraud

Katie Burford, there's a bridge in NYC I'd like to sell and I was wondering if you and your newspaper would help me advertise it?
Not confirmed but 99.9% sure. The paperwork has already started.
Team Sergeant

‘What I’m fighting to make free’
By Katie Burford
Article Last Updated: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:49am

Timothy Oliver, who served three tours in Afghanistan, says handling a toy replica of the 9mm he carried while in the service helps calm him.

Editors’ note: Questions have been raised about the accuracy of this account. The Herald is seeking to verify them.

Timothy Oliver, a Georgia boy by birth, spent years with the Special Forces in Afghanistan hunting bad guys in hideouts in the night.Sometimes he found them.

Now, he spends his nights sleepless in a dimly lit mobile home park in Hermosa. Gaunt, with dark circles under his eyes and a limp, he smokes Marlboro reds and handles a toy gun that is a replica of the 9 mm he used to carry in Afghanistan.
He says he sees the faces of the men he hunted, the villagers he found massacred and mutilated by jihadists and the friends he lost. He takes large quantities of Valium but does not sleep.

Still, he says he would not take back the five years, three months and 34 days he spent in the military.
It started in 1998, when he enlisted and started studying at the Georgia Military Institute, training when he wasn’t in school.
He finished a four-year degree in three years before the United States struck Afghanistan in October 2001.

A member of the unit commonly known as Delta Force, he said he hit the ground in Kandahar after a high-altitude jump with thousands of other specialized troops from different branches of service.

He recalls three days of intense “house-to-house urban warfare.”

“It was a lot of chaos and a lot of fear,” he said.

When the fighting ended and Marines arrived, he felt hopeful that a quick end to the war was possible. But he said commanders opted to fortify their position rather than advance, missing what he feels was a key opportunity to hobble the enemy early.

When Oliver was seriously injured Dec. 4, 2004, he was on his third tour in Afghanistan. He had suffered two minor injuries earlier: one from a ricochet that hit his leg and another from a bayonet that sliced his lip. The man with the bayonet he encountered early in his first tour. Believing the enemy compound they infiltrated was empty, he let his guard down. But the man appeared suddenly from behind a door and jabbed him in the face.

“He didn’t come out on top of that one,” he said.

That first brush with death taught him to be more cautious.

“I never failed to clear a room again,” he said.

But when the injury that would end his military career came, there was little he could do to avoid it.

While traveling over land through a tight valley, the unmanned aerial vehicle used to see what was ahead of them spotted an ambush lying in wait. Oliver, the leader of his four-man team, said their training in such a situation was to exit vehicles and take cover along a valley wall. He was about 10 feet from their Humvee when it was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

A fellow team member, who instead of leaving the Humvee had gone for its mounted machine gun, was killed instantly.
The explosion threw Oliver against the canyon wall, sprayed him with shrapnel and broke his leg in three places.
Another team member was killed in a second explosion.

“We were being attacked from the front and the rear,” he said.
He saw another team member, who was trying to reload his weapon with one hand because the other one had been blown off, be overrun.
At that point, he said he did what he had been trained never to do because of the possibility of hitting an unintended target: switched his machine gun to “full auto” and sprayed.

“They were so close, I did it,” he said.
Soon, air support responded to their distress call and he was airlifted to the USS Abraham Lincoln for emergency medical treatment.
The awful reality of his situation soon became apparent.

“I didn’t get any of my men out, but I got out,” he said.
This knowledge was to become more crippling than his injuries. Of the three teams – 12 men in all – that were ambushed, he said, four were killed and six were seriously wounded.
Furthermore, the female pilot assigned to provide air support for his team – a woman he was close to but was back at base at the time of the attack – died soon after.
After being medically discharged, he eventually moved to Southwest Colorado to be with a woman, Phebe Durand, whom he met in an Internet chat room. They’re now married.

He’s tried working. In 2009, he said he was the night-shift manager at Wendy’s, but a violent confrontation with two employees triggered hallucinations that resulted in his being admitted for acute psychiatric care at the Crossroads Center near Mercy Regional Medical Center.
Now, Oliver mostly stays home, sometimes listening to his unit’s theme song, “A Demon’s Fate” by the Dutch metal band Within Temptation, on YouTube.

Sometimes he reads “The Picture,” a poem he wrote:

Another long day, in this dry and desolate land
Sun’s coming up so I take into my hand
a worn and battered photograph that I want to see
to remind myself again what I’m fighting to make free

The poem goes on to describe that the picture is of his loved ones, The people I care about the most; and if I die today to protect them then I’ll happily join the ghosts.
At night, it’s as if he already has.

Editors’ note: Questions have been raised about the accuracy of this account. The Herald is seeking to verify them.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article...g-to-make-free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tim oliver.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	22501  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Katie Burford, there's a bridge in NYC I'd like to sell and I was wondering if you and your newspaper would help me advertise it?

Team Sergeant
Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:22   #3
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Team Sergeant

If that bridge deal falls through, maybe you could spend a little time screenwriting a new movie called Act of Stolen Valor. The content is all there and there's so many of these "characters" that you'll have endless stories to tell. After seeing his pic in that article, I'm thinking Johnny Depp could play Mr. Oliver.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28   #4
Geenie
Guerrilla

lol

My favorite part of the story is where thousands of D-force troopers parachute into Kandahar. Hadn't heard that one before

Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
My favorite part of the story is where thousands of D-force troopers parachute into Kandahar. Hadn't heard that one before....
You hadn't!!!!!!....... Hell,I was one of them........ You want to see my Delta Force tatoo?.......... But seriously,I don't see much difference between this "nutter" and the other one we didn't bother with because Top knew he was crazy!!!.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 07-02-2012, 12:51   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

From AKO
There is a retired SSG Timothy Oliver
Organization: 1st BDE 87th (TS) Div,
Army Retired and / but living in Birmingham, AL

He is the closest one to a guy in this story who deserved to be medically retired. Doesn't look good.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:01   #7
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

How embarrassing for the newspaper. The editor. The author.

Sad, just sad.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:20   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
From AKO
There is a retired SSG Timothy Oliver
Organization: 1st BDE 87th (TS) Div,
Army Retired and / but living in Birmingham, AL

He is the closest one to a guy in this story who deserved to be medically retired. Doesn't look good.
Durango,Colorado is quite a distance to Birmingham,AL if that's were your going on this......... The guy you mentioned isn't SF either......... The guy in Top's post is a poser,only he may not know it!!!!............

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 07-02-2012, 13:24   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

Tic...toc...tic...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:26   #10
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
MOO, this statement is spin. The issue is not just "this account" (which puts the onus on Mr. Oliver). The issue is also about the process by which "this account" was NOT vetted in the first place.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:32   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Timmy Oliver fraud and liar

Confirmed liar and fraud. We're working to get his real name we don't think he gave his real name to the reporter.

He told the reporter he didn't have any documents to support his claims and the lying little punk said he was in Special Ops and it's all classifed (reported on This Ain't hell, http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=30601

That doesn't cut it you lying little fraud with a plastic pop-gun. You now get to live forever with that story associated with your face and name.
Old 07-02-2012, 14:58   #12
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

For Timmy

Eyes are circles, black and gaunt
Beretta made of plastic
Dreams of Delta night jumps haunt
Valium makes me spastic

No cheapass Basics do I puff
It's Cowboy Smokes for me
CQB is sometimes tough
Oh me! Oh my! Whoowee!

They stab you in your faces
If you fail to clear the room
Break your legs in many places
When the RPG goes boom

When they get too close, don't react
The way that you were taught, no
Flick machinegun lever back
And spray the pricks-full auto

Doesn't matter where I go
SpecOps nightmares haunt
Even when my next gig-yo
Was Wendy's restaurant

Old 07-02-2012, 15:29   #13
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Eyes are circles, black and gaunt
Beretta made of plastic
Dreams of Delta night jumps haunt
Valium makes me spastic

No cheapass Basics do I puff
It's Cowboy Smokes for me
CQB is sometimes tough
Oh me! Oh my! Whoowee!

They stab you in your faces
If you fail to clear the room
Break your legs in many places
When the RPG goes boom

When they get too close, don't react
The way that you were taught, no
Flick machinegun lever back
And spray the pricks-full auto

Doesn't matter where I go
SpecOps nightmares haunt
Even when my next gig-yo
Was Wendy's restaurant

Dusty,A poet!

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 07-02-2012, 16:40   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

On top of all of the obvious BS....

Why on earth would someone fly out of a landlocked country with full-up military hospitals and surgical suites to a ship?

By then, you could be at a hospital in Germany.

And wouldn't five years, three months and 34 days actually be five years FOUR months and FOUR days?

Why do chicks always seem to fall for these stories? I guess it is a better tale than getting back to the office and saying, well, I met a loser today who told me a huge bunch of lies....

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:21   #15
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Another douchebag liar...…
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote