Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-28-2012, 00:26   #1
Andruuc
Asset

A Recruiter's Perspective

I have been in the Army for 7 years. 4 as an Infantryman and am currently on my final assignment in the Army as a detailed Army Recruiter. I have been lurking on this site since I became a Recruiter in order to help my applicants. I think it is time to give something back.

In my time as a Recruiter I have had about 30 guys come into my office looking for 18x contracts. About 20 of those guys were disqualified within the first few minutes of our meeting either due to low practice ASVAB, law violations, not being educationally qualified, or they had medical issues. Little prior research was done by these guys.

I have sent 7 applicants to Basic Training with 18x contracts. I will try and give you some info on what I believe led to success or failure- not from the perspective of a QP(which I am not) or as someone who has been to SFAS(I have not). I can only speak from the perspective of someone who watched these guys prepare and got to know them very well.

I have had 4 applicants get selected, they are in various phases of the Q Course and loving life. Of these 4 guys 1 had Masters Degree, 1 had a Bachelors, 1 was an OCS non-select with a Bachelors, and 1 had 4 semesters of college.

Of my 3 unsuccessful applicants 1 had 2 semesters of college, the other 2 had only a few credits from Community College.

Ages of successful applicants were 28, 26, 25x2.
Unsuccessful applicants were 24 and 23x2.

My successful applicants sucked up as much information as possible in order to be successful. They read books, they scoured this site, and then came back for more. 2 joined a local orienteering group to learn how to navigate. I recommended Crossfit as a prep tool and 3 joined the local CF gym, the other did the best he could using the website and his regular gym. They all rucked and got a feel for what it felt like to hurt and be tired as hell. They had personalities that made every recruiter in my office want to get to know them and help them in every way they could.

My unsuccessful applicants didn't pay much attention to any of the information sources I gave them. Only 1 got into Crossfit but only a month before he shipped out. One gained enough weight during DEP that we were concerned about him being able to ship. All three were hard to get in contact with and I doubt if any of my fellow recruiters could name them or even picture them.

I believe the true difference between these two groups of people was that the successful guys wanted to do the job of Special Forces Soldiers more than anything in the world. The unsuccessful applicants wanted to SAY they were Special Forces Soldiers.

The 3 guys who did not get selected are of course still in the Army. One of them is loving being an Infantryman and intends to get back to SFAS at some point. One quit and is looking forward to getting out of the Army at his first opportunity. The last one has not been in contact.

This is only a sampling of 7 guys, hopefully it shows some of you what kind of guys have done well and what they did.*

Some tips for dealing with Recruiters.

-Not all recruiters are happy to hear about your interest in 18x. They may try and steer you directly to 11b or into another MOS. 18x contracts take longer, are more work, and it's less likely that you will be qualified. If you are truly passionate about becoming a Special Forces Soldier don't let a recruiter talk you out of it. Find another recruiter in that office that is motivated to help you or try another station. If MEPS tells you that you are not qualified, you are very more than likely not qualified.

-Do not lie about anything. You will most likely be found out by your recruiter, station commander, MEPS Doctor, or Security Interviewer. If you do lie and slip through the cracks you could get others or yourself hurt down the road. Don't start your journey to a values based organization with a lie.*

-If your recruiter asks you to lie you are in the wrong place. Find another recruiter.

Hopefully this post helps some of you keep from getting burned by QP's when you post crazy questions(although I do enjoy reading those posts).
Feel free to PM me about Recruiting related questions or issues.
Andruuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Regarding 18X candidates............

IMHO, I sugget you look into getting them a copy of "GET SELECTED for SPECIAL FORCES: How to Successfully Complete Assessment & Selection" by Major Joe Martin..... Find it at www.warrior-mentor.com website requesting a $25 donation to the
"Wounded Warriors Foundation Fund"

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Andruuc,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experiences with SF recruiting. I hope your insight into the process from a recruiter's POV is read and heeded by those contemplating the 18x program.

Appreciatively,

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06   #4
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Great Post!

Really glad you took the time to share your POV!

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I concur with the statements made earlier.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to put that together.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08   #6
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Allow me to jump on the bandwagon as well and say thank you for taking not only the time to research and type that up but also for your obvious respect you have for your job as you ensure you're enlisting qualified future Soldiers.

I hope you military career is everything you hope and want it to be.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52   #7
PRB
Quiet Professional

Good stuff....keep an eye out for those that have the stats but don't know about the program......
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07   #8
Andruuc
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Good stuff....keep an eye out for those that have the stats but don't know about the program......
Roger, always keeping my eyes open for them.
Old 02-28-2012, 13:04   #9
Andruuc
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
IMHO, I sugget you look into getting them a copy of "GET SELECTED for SPECIAL FORCES: How to Successfully Complete Assessment & Selection" by Major Joe Martin..... Find it at www.warrior-mentor.com website requesting a $25 donation to the
"Wounded Warriors Foundation Fund"

Big Teddy

Roger, I had a dog eared copy that had been used by all my guys. Of course I let some scumbag borrow it and both the book and the applicant have disappeared...that's recruiting.

I agree, that book is a great resource. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-28-2012, 18:24   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well done.

Thank you for sharing this information, and for your service. That confirmed some of my suspicions.

All the best.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 19:02   #11
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

My Dad ran the Fresno (CA) Recruiting Main Station when I joined the Army in 1965. I enlisted for four years with a guarantee of Europe-unassigned.

I spent 8 years active with one year in SF.

Thank you for all that you do!

Mike
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote