Quiet Professional

SMA wants 4-mile run, 12-mile march for PT test

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...-test-021312w/

Mo PT!!

BMT
Old 02-15-2012, 18:27   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
If this is implemented as suggested,, Mother has a new way of reducing headcount that can not be considered PC weighted or prejudicial..

May work...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:29   #3
John_Chrichton
SF Candidate

I think this is a very good thing. It will force people to meet actual standards. I wonder what percentage of the force actually successfully completed a 12 mile ruck march in the last 12 months?

The only issue, of course, is that both the run and the ruck are conducted at a very slow pace. I don't understand why the Army tolerates soldiers within its ranks who cannot meet the 8 min mile/15 min mile for the both events. I don't think being in a support MOS is an excuse for lessening the standard, especially in the current conflict, where there is no defined front line.

Last edited by John_Chrichton; 02-15-2012 at 18:34.
John_Chrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:15   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Physical fitness is just ONE indicator of quality. Whenever I see leadership (or anyone else) fixated on ONE aspect of the "whole man", I start to wonder if that's their pet peeve because it's the only competence they have.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:29   #5
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

PT Standards?

What are the current requirements for the Basic Airborne Course? Do females get a different testing standard than males?...TK
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:39   #6
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Chrichton View Post

The only issue, of course, is that both the run and the ruck are conducted at a very slow pace. I don't understand why the Army tolerates soldiers within its ranks who cannot meet the 8 min mile/15 min mile for the both events.
Maybe my math is off. Regardless, I don't consider a 15 minute pace slow for a 12 mile ruck with the appropriate weight.

LHC
Old 02-15-2012, 20:42   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

They need to add a swim test to better round out the troops.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:45   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If this is the new standard, how can you lawfully put out a male who does four miles in 30:00, but keep the female who does it in 36:00?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 21:26   #9
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Maybe my math is off. Regardless, I don't consider a 15 minute pace slow for a 12 mile ruck with the appropriate weight.

LHC
I think that would be a 20 minute per mile pace.

That's one way of cutting the number of troops quickly. My only question is what happens when a HUGE number of support troops get thrown out, who's going to support the guys on the front lines?

Last edited by alelks; 02-15-2012 at 21:30.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:11   #10
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

It's what guys end up doing in Afghanistan 3 times a week. But ohhh, my knees!
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:18   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
That has certainly been a major weeding out factor.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:29   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

I always thought a ruck march with an appropriate flesh wound would weed out the snivelers!
You can get carried away with rucking, I know we remember the old '80's yearly stress/qual testing experiments. That sweet ruckmarch from Bragg to Mackall and back with 50lb rucks and equipment.
I suspect a combo of the old test with a dif run would be fine.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 22:38   #13
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I always thought a ruck march with an appropriate flesh wound would weed out the snivelers!
You can get carried away with rucking, I know we remember the old '80's yearly stress/qual testing experiments. That sweet ruckmarch from Bragg to Mackall and back with 50lb rucks and equipment.
I suspect a combo of the old test with a dif run would be fine.
I remember the 50 meter swim test, the standard PT test and then the 12 mile ruck march all back to back.

It amazes me that I could actually do all that at one time in my life, but then I got old...

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-15-2012 at 22:56.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19   #14
Box
Quiet Professional

so...
we have not even instituted the last "new PT test" and now we need another one?

Didn't the US Army just expend a shit ton of time and effort money proving that we needed "burst" fitness and that the new PT was going to be "great"

A shuttle run and a four mile run are at opposite ends of the spectrum if my observations are correct...
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11   #15
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Wouldn't that be considered insensitive or discrimination against folks who never learned how to swim or whose body composition makes them either great shark bait or boat anchors?