Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > The Cache

Old 02-07-2012, 02:21   #1
mike-munich
Guerrilla

WTB: AR15 in TX. FTF

Looking for a 16" AR15 in the south Texas area (around San Antonio/Austin/San Marcos). Price range $650 to $800, DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms or similar. Will be back CONUS 07JUNE2012.

Preferably FTF, cash, have a TX. DL

Thanks gentlemen!
Old 02-07-2012, 19:14   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich View Post
Looking for a 16" AR15 in the south Texas area (around San Antonio/Austin/San Marcos). Price range $650 to $800, DPMS, Del-Ton, Oly Arms or similar. Will be back CONUS 07JUNE2012.

Thanks gentlemen!
1. You don't want an Oly, trust me.

2. Not to be a buzz killer, but you aren't planning to take the weapon out of the US, are you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:19   #3
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
1. You don't want an Oly, trust me.

2. Not to be a buzz killer, but you aren't planning to take the weapon out of the US, are you?

TR
TR, thanks for your reply.

1. I don't? OK, I take your word for it. I only went by the price, never had an Oly before. I didn't know they were so crappy. I have a Del-Ton and a DPMS (16" and 20") and they work quite well. I also have a H&K G36, which is my favorite.

Which brings me to

2. No Sir, the AR15 is staying in Texas in my house. I'm well aware of ITAR and export regulations, besides that I have 3 safes full of firearms over here.
Old 02-08-2012, 17:29   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
TR, thanks for your reply.

1. I don't? OK, I take your word for it. I only went by the price, never had an Oly before. I didn't know they were so crappy. I have a Del-Ton and a DPMS (16" and 20") and they work quite well. I also have a H&K G36, which is my favorite.

Which brings me to

2. No Sir, the AR15 is staying in Texas in my house. I'm well aware of ITAR and export regulations, besides that I have 3 safes full of firearms over here.
Mike:

I have had Olys before.

The quality is so bad, most of their parts won't fit in anything else, and sometimes not on other Olys. The Del-Tons are normally pretty good.

GTG. Just trying to keep anyone from getting an unpleasant surprise.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26   #5
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Mike:

I have had Olys before.

The quality is so bad, most of their parts won't fit in anything else, and sometimes not on other Olys. The Del-Tons are normally pretty good.

GTG. Just trying to keep anyone from getting an unpleasant surprise.

TR
TR,

thanks for the insight. I did some reading on ar15.com, but couldn't find much about the Olys. I'll stay away from them then. I've had the Del-Ton for almost two years now, put about 5000 rounds through it. No problems so far. It's a 16" lightweight with a 1/9 twist chrome line barrel and an upper with M4 feed ramps.

Looks like I'm getting my hands on a Bushmaster M4A3, the Texas DPS edition with the Lone Star on the magwell. Seems to be a pretty solid rifle.

Thanks for your concern and trying to keep me out of trouble! I appreciate it.

Mike
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07   #6
Iraqgunz
Guerrilla

Right now in many places you can get a Colt 6920 for just under 1000.00. You can also build a decent carbine (more or less combine an upper/lower0 with a little extra work for around 850.00-900.00. In my professional opinion do not skimp out and cut corners.

Especially if you plan on shooting it all. It's really not worth it to be honest.
Iraqgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22   #7
mike-munich
Guerrilla

So the Colt would be a good choice? I'll put that on my list with the others then. Like I said, I have put quite a few rounds through the Del-Ton and the DPMS, even the "cheap" stuff like Wolf or Tulammo with the steel cases. Never had a problem. I'd consider putting one together as well if I come across a nice upper/lower for sale somewhere.

Thanks! Stay safe downrange.
Old 02-22-2012, 15:21   #8
Pericles
Guerrilla

There are Olys and then there are Olys. My 1983 Oly (actually SGW) has an all Colt parts upper (LM upper), C MP CHROME BORE barrel, and MPC bolt, etc.

Anything "post ban" is "finger weg" territory.

Close up of said weapon:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/t...to/A1upper.jpg

Last edited by Pericles; 02-22-2012 at 15:23.
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08   #9
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
There are Olys and then there are Olys. My 1983 Oly (actually SGW) has an all Colt parts upper (LM upper), C MP CHROME BORE barrel, and MPC bolt, etc.

Close up of said weapon:

post ban, pre ban, it's kinda hard to tell anyways...

I did find me a nice Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine in TX., waiting for me when I get back in June.

Thanks ya'll for your input!
Old 02-23-2012, 18:41   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post

Close up of said weapon:

I have worked on more than a dozen of them, pre- and post-ban, and every one had a fitment or a parts issue.

You must be a very lucky individual.

Caveat emptor.

TR

Old 02-23-2012, 18:55   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Thanks gentlemen!
Have you checked with the ATF ? I heard they are selling them dirt cheap........
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21   #12
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Have you checked with the ATF ? I heard they are selling them dirt cheap........
TS, I thought about contacting them... On the other hand my qualifications as a mexican druglord are close to nil, so I fear they won't send me a case of ARs...
Old 02-24-2012, 13:30   #13
Pericles
Guerrilla

Quote:
I have worked on more than a dozen of them, pre- and post-ban, and every one had a fitment or a parts issue.

You must be a very lucky individual.

Caveat emptor.

TR
From what I have seen, they had about a 6 month window of being able to turn out a decent weapon. When I got it, I didn't leave anything to chance.

OP - for $650 to $750, you can put together A2s from surplus Colt or FN uppers, barrels, and FCGs all day long.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/t...photo/A2-3.jpg

Last edited by Pericles; 02-24-2012 at 13:33.
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57   #14
Iraqgunz
Guerrilla

The Colt 6920 is the baseline standard for a carbine. They are about as close to MILSPEC as it gets.

Your other option is to buy a lower and mate up the upper and add what you need. For example;

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...-urg-m4-16.htm

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=124

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

Add some handguards (standard or Magpul MOE) and a BUIS and you should be good to go. I'd estimate this coming in around $930.00 or so.

Quote:
So the Colt would be a good choice? I'll put that on my list with the others then. Like I said, I have put quite a few rounds through the Del-Ton and the DPMS, even the "cheap" stuff like Wolf or Tulammo with the steel cases. Never had a problem. I'd consider putting one together as well if I come across a nice upper/lower for sale somewhere.

Thanks! Stay safe downrange.
Iraqgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56   #15
Destrier
Quiet Professional

I see your price range, but being near Larue tactical, I would consider a drive up see what I could do on one of their pedator's. No replacement for quality.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)

Last edited by Destrier; 02-27-2012 at 08:02.
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote