Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > KnuckleDragger Questions

Old 09-26-2004, 15:44   #1
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Computer Gurus! Hear me!

Hey everyone,
I installed the Service Pack 2 for windows XP today, and lost the ability to use, open or basically do anything with Windows Media Player. I tried re-downloading it and installing the newest version, I tried uninstalling WMP and reinstalling it (can't uninstall it via any normal method that I can see)...

And it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 19:30   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Did you download the patches for Media Player?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 19:50   #3
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I don't think there are any patches out- maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
Do you have a URL?
Sorry,

Solid
Old 09-26-2004, 20:00   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I just downloaded them with the Windows update. I do it automatically, but I think they were for the very thing you are describing.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 20:02   #5
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

It says I'm all up to date
Thanks for the help, though.

This is just like microsoft- release a massive patch and create a whole slew of new errors in the process.

Have a good evening, everyone.

Solid
Old 09-26-2004, 20:52   #6
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I had too many problems and took the easy way out. I dumped IE and switched to Netscape as my primary browser. Not advertising but it worked.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 20:52   #7
Dan
Administrators

You may be using the...

Quote:
Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer

Choose this for the fastest updating. Quickly scan for, download, and install only the critical and security updates your computer needs.
...instead try using...

Quote:
Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer

Choose this to scan for optional, critical, and security updates your computer needs, choose from all the updates on the site, and review updates before downloading.
...to select any updates that aren't of high priority. You may notice that you may notice that you have a place to "Select optional software updates"...I manually update my drivers, so recommend to stay clear of the "Select optional hardware updates" section.

When asking troubleshooting questionsit helps for us to know the version of software your currently using/having problems with. Also, do you get any error codes? If so then please post them.

Possibly recommend that if you haven't already updated to "Windows Media Player 10" that you do it and see if it fixes your problems. If not, then fo to your control panel, then to your add and remove software, then to add and remove windows components, then deselect the media player, then reboot, then reinstall. If it still doesn't work make sure you let us know what the error codes are or go find another player like Winamp, Jukebox, etc
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:30   #8
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Dan,
I just tried removing, rebooting, reinstalling and rebooting without success. All my drivers, as far as I can tell, are up to date. There are no error messages- I double click (or click-open) on the WMP program or a WMP file and simply nothing happens.

Dagnabbit!

Thanks for the help,

Solid
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37   #9
Kyobanim

What version Media Player do you have?
What is the exact error message?

These will help in diagnosing the problem.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:14   #10
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Kyo:
It's WMP 10, and the problem is that there IS no error message- it just won't open, no matter how many times or different ways I click the program or a WMV file. The computer doesn't even really register it TRYING to open.

It's so confusing!

Thanks for the help guys,

Solid
Old 09-27-2004, 07:22   #11
Kyobanim

Recommend uninstalling vs 10 and reinstalling vs 9. Do this in the Control Panel. On the left of the window is a button to Add/Remove Windows Components. This will remove all instances of media player. Reboot and DL vs 9 from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

If this works create a restore point before installing anything else.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Optimus Prime
Old 09-27-2004, 08:07   #12
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Kyo,
I went into remove integrated programs menu, selected WMP and removed it, rebooted and then tried to install WMP9... it says that there is a newer version of WMP on my computer and then exits the installer (no prompts given).

Is there anything more I can do other than the really drastic things? I've tried system restores back to before I updates to Service Packet 2 but they fail.

Thanks,

Solid
Old 09-27-2004, 08:31   #13
Kyobanim

2 things. first run disk cleanup under System Tools and remove everything you get an option for. second, run Defrag and Analyze the drive first. when it's done analyzing click the View Report button and make a note of any files listed in the \windows\system or system 32 path. then defrag whether you need it or not.

Sometimes cleaning up temp files and defragging helps situations like this.

Optimus Prime
Old 09-27-2004, 10:56   #14
flyboy1
Auxiliary

Solid,
A couple of things you can try and some questions:
Do you know how to clean your registry of the old WMP files? If so, clean out the WMP10 files and reload WMP10.

Is the file wmplayer.exe in your Windows task manager under Processes and Applications after you launch the program? This will tell you if the program is even attempting to load/loaded.

(you can get there by pressing Ctl-Alt-Del and then going to processes and applications windows.)

Get back to us after trying this.

Mike
flyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:25   #15
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Something that happend to me, one of the kids downloaded "RealPlayer" and it de-activated my WMP !! I had to remove the RealPlayer and then go to the Microsoft site and reinstall the WMP. If you have RP on there, it may be what's inhibiting the Windows operations !! I also attempted to do the "Reload" before I removed the RP and it wouldn't work.