Old 11-18-2011, 12:26   #1
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

First Aid Helmet

In looking for a new helmet, I stumbled across this gem. A cool pack which activates on impact.

http://www.thermahelm.com/

My question is does the theory make sense. Would it be better to just remove the helmet if possible?
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 15:15   #2
adal
Quiet Professional

Just my initial thoughts, as a ground and flight medic now not an 18 anymore, is that I would take the helmet off ASAP for airway control, C-spine control, and good assessments. I am not really concerned as a first responder about brain cooling. I have heard about the benefits later on in the ICU.
We are also starting to get on board with prehospital hypothermic care for cardiac resuscitation, but are not there yet. Also that is all over the body not just isolated to the head.
There are cervical collars out now that cool at the carotids and that is supposed to help too. So why have it in the helmet? I would much rather spend the money on a really good helmet than something that may decrease impact absorbation by having a cooling gel.
It seems like a good idea I guess if you are in the middle of nowhere and crash, but I'm not convinced in the prehospital area. For that matter I could break a cold pack and wrap your head in them.
Just my thoughts. adal
Old 11-18-2011, 15:30   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I'm thinking you may not want this helmet as they have all the country flags EXCEPT the USA on the web page..
  • All helmet sold in the U.S. are legally required to pass the DOT standard, called FMVSS.
  • The Snell M2000/M2005 standard, a voluntary, private standard used primarily in the U.S.
  • The European standard, called ECE 22-05 is accepted in more than 50 countries.
  • From Britain there's the BSI 6658 Type A standard

I did a little reading,, A couple years ago I wanted to get a ROOF BOXER but it's not DOT nor Snell.

The difference at that time was base on the testing methods. The DOT was concerned about blunt impact and penetration, while the EU standards were more concerned with brain shake and concussion. While the US wanted to stop shell cracking the EU wanted to pad the brain. Two different ends with different requirements. At the time there were ECE/BSI helmets that were actually soft skinned and were thought to slow the sudden stop associated with head impact.

Any-who,, check for the DOT/SNELL sticker before dumping a bunch of shekel's on the counter...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 15:35   #4
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Thanks Guys...

I was just curious as to the merits of the idea. I always heard don't remove helmet after a crash, I assumed it was to keep from doing more damage, but if the damage will happen anyway, why not take it off? Anyway, I don't want a full face, getting a Daytona 3/4, great price, DOT, and won't be wasted if I drop it.
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 16:16   #5
adal
Quiet Professional

I bought a Roof Boxer. Loved that dumb thing. Solid, built well (idiosyncric at times). As soon as I can afford the Boxer II, I'll look at getting one considering that the Boxer had venting issues that they supposedly fixed on the v2.

I think the "don't remove a helmet" thing is more for the lay person provider. When we (prehospital) take off a helmet we have three or more people helping. There are now tools that help remove a helmet with CO2 cartirdges and are making it safer. The key is proper C-spine protection. It takes practice to get it off without doing more harm. That being said, I ride with a flip up helmet so that at least someone can manage my airway without taking off my helmet right away. More thoughts. adal
Old 11-19-2011, 18:39   #6
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

save your money...cooling helps kids not adults with TBI.......
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25   #7
adal
Quiet Professional

JJ,
Check out the 2012 Roof Boxers! Sweet. Not sure about the bamboo one, but it looks cool.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-20...-roof-helmets/
Old 11-23-2011, 13:34   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
What about at work? when you bang your head against the wall. It'll help that . . . won't it?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:28   #9
wook
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Maybe, maybe not.....haven't seen anything definite either way on this. Seems to be a mixed bag. I can say that we are not doing this at two of the shops I've worked at.

Thanks.

Wook

=========================================

J Neurotrauma. 2008 Jan;25(1):62-71.

Hypothermia treatment for traumatic brain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Peterson K, Carson S, Carney N.

Source

Oregon Evidence-Based Practice Center, Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA. peterski@ohsu.edu

Abstract

In this study, we conducted an updated meta-analysis of the effects of hypothermia therapy on mortality, favorable neurologic outcome, and associated adverse effects in adults with traumatic brain injury (TBI) for use by Brain Trauma Foundation (BTF)/American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) task force to develop evidence-based treatment guidelines. Our data sources relied on handsearches of four previous good-quality systematic reviews, which all conducted electronic searches of primarily MEDLINE (OVID), EMBASE, and Cochrane Library. An independent, supplemental electronic search of MEDLINE was undertaken as well (last searched June 2007). Only English-language publications of randomized controlled trials of therapeutic hypothermia in adults with TBI were selected for analysis. Two reviewers independently abstracted data on trial design, patient population, hypothermia and cointervention protocols, patient outcomes, and aspects of methodological quality. Pooled relative risks (RR) and associated 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were calculated for each outcome using random-effects models. In the current study, only 13 trials met eligibility criteria, with a total of 1339 randomized patients. Sensitivity analyses revealed that outcomes were influenced by variations in methodological quality. Consequently, main analyses were conducted based on eight trials that demonstrated the lowest potential for bias (n = 781). Reductions in risk of mortality were greatest (RR 0.51; 95% CI 0.33, 0.79) and favorable neurologic outcomes much more common (RR 1.91; 95% CI 1.28, 2.85) when hypothermia was maintained for more than 48 h. However, this evidence comes with the suggestion that the potential benefits of hypothermia may likely be offset by a significant increase in risk of pneumonia (RR 2.37; 95% CI 1.37, 4.10). In sum, the present study's updated meta-analysis supports previous findings that hypothermic therapy constitutes a beneficial treatment of TBI in specific circumstances. Accordingly, the BTF/AANS guidelines task force has issued a Level III recommendation for optional and cautious use of hypothermia for adults with TBI.

-----------------------------------------

Neurotherapeutics. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2011 January 1.

Published in final edited form as:

Neurotherapeutics. 2010 January; 7(1): 43.
doi: 10.1016/j.nurt.2009.10.015

PMCID: PMC2819078

NIHMSID: NIHMS169689

Copyright notice and Disclaimer

THE EVIDENCE FOR HYPOTHERMIA AS A NEUROPROTECTANT IN TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY

W. Dalton Dietrich, Ph.D. and Helen M. Bramlett, Ph.D.

Department of Neurological Surgery The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Miami, FL

Correspondence to: W. Dalton Dietrich, III, Ph.D., Professor of Neurological Surgery, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1095 NW 14th Terrace, Suite 2-30, Miami, FL 33136-1060, Telephone: (305) 243-2297, Fax: (305) 243-3207, Email: ddietrich@miami.edu

The purpose of this article is to review published experimental and clinical evidence for the benefits of modest hypothermia in the treatment of traumatic brain injury (TBI). Therapeutic hypothermia has been reported to improve outcome in several animal models of CNS injury and has been successfully translated to specific patient populations. A Pub Med search for hypothermia and TBI was conducted and important papers reviewed on the subject. Summarized research was conducted at major academic institutions throughout the world. Experimental studies have emphasized that hypothermia can affect multiple pathophysiological mechanisms felt to participate in the detrimental consequences of TBI. Published data from several relevant clinical trials on the use of hypothermia in severely injured TBI patients is also included. The consequences of mild to moderate levels of hypothermia introduced by different strategies to the head injured patient for variable periods of time are discussed. Both experimental and clinical data support the beneficial effects of modest hypothermia following TBI in specific patient populations. In addition to single institution studies, positive findings from multicenter TBI trials are now required before this experimental treatment is considered standard of care.

----------------------------------------------
January 5, 2010 — The early induction of hypothermia did not improve outcomes in patients with diffuse severe traumatic brain injury enrolled in the National Acute Brain Injury Study Hypothermia II (NABIS: H II).

However, results of a subgroup analysis suggested that hypothermia may have benefits in patients with surgically removed hematomas.

"We see little basis for further testing of early hypothermia induction as a neuroprotectant in diffuse brain injury," conclude Guy L. Clifton, MD, of the Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, and colleagues. "However, the role of early hypothermia treatment of patients with evacuated hematomas deserves further testing," they wrote.

"This study provides proof positive that therapies affect patients with diffuse injury and hematoma in different ways," Dr. Clifton added in an interview with Medscape Medical News.

The results were published online December 20 in The Lancet Neurology.

Andrew I. R. Maas, MD, PhD, chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium, told Medscape Medical News, "The results support the concept that a simple one size fits all approach in traumatic brain injury is inappropriate."

Dr. Maas, who was not involved in the study, coauthored an accompanying commentary with Nino Stocchetti, MD, of Milan University, Italy.

Dr. Maas said he does not think the results reported in this study "will or should have a direct effect on ongoing trials of hypothermia in traumatic brain injury. The numbers are simply too small to permit any definitive conclusions."
wook is offline   Reply With Quote