Old 09-25-2011, 21:26   #1
cbkb98
Asset

converting lat long

does anyone know or have a conversion formula of some sort to convert lat/long to mgrs or vice versa? Civilian maps piss me off b/c I dont know lat/long. Any help is appreciated.
cbkb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05   #2
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkb98 View Post
does anyone know or have a conversion formula of some sort to convert lat/long to mgrs or vice versa? Civilian maps piss me off b/c I dont know lat/long. Any help is appreciated.
Is your question posed to learn or teach basic map reading skills to others?

Last edited by wet dog; 09-26-2011 at 03:45.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:32   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Are you talking about......

Are you talking about the 1:24,000 standard USGS maps?

They have the grid tick marks around the edge. Get a 36" ruler and draw your own grid lines on the map. Just be careful to draw to the right ticks and in numbering them.

Above 1:50,000 those grid boxes start looking mighty small which is why the others use lat long.

When we were in the desert using 1:250,000 maps all we used was lat long.

Pays to be able to go either way.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56   #4
Foggy Bottom
Asset

Here.
Foggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25   #5
Penn
Area Commander

Foggy, that was nicely done!!! I have another request, there an account and a bank......
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:26   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Foggy Bottom

I hope the batteries in your Backberry never die.

The civilian maps I got for some sections of the Appalachian Trail are 1:63,360 and are gridded with 7'30" squares. Hmmm, 450". Now if I only had a 305 mm ruler I could................
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I hope the batteries in your Backberry never die.

The civilian maps I got for some sections of the Appalachian Trail are 1:63,360 and are gridded with 7'30" squares. Hmmm, 450". Now if I only had a 305 mm ruler I could................
Ah,, But if you had an Android Smart Phone, you can use Google Earth with the zoom feature and get to 1:1 maps, with orally annotated step-by-step navigation!!!!

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

deleted; erroneously posted.

Last edited by Badger52; 09-26-2011 at 08:45.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 20:56   #9
cbkb98
Asset

My intention is mainly for hunting. The maps I have are good but I dont know how to plot a grid or even how to go in whichever direction utilizing lat/long. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-26-2011, 22:09   #10
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I find terrain association works pretty well. Work with maps until when you look at them, you kind of see them in 3-D!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkb98 View Post
My intention is mainly for hunting. The maps I have are good but I dont know how to plot a grid or even how to go in whichever direction utilizing lat/long. Thanks again for the input.
Your admitted level of understanding, puts you at the absolute entry level in the land navigation game.

You need some formal classes. Not anything worldly, but basic map reading as taught to the BSA. These class typically will include introductions to compass use.

You also need to get spatially organized. The ability to "see in 3d", as ZonieDiver suggests, is more than a suggestion, it's a necessity.

AFTER you have good working knowledge of map reading and geo recondition, you should join a geocaching club and work at learning the GPS game.

Until you have a moderate understanding, do not attempt any Grizzle Adams tracks. It will only lead to the expenditure of vast amounts on money by the local search & rescue to drag your butt out of the woods,, toe tag optional...

Mean while,, If you feel you need to run around in the woods, find an area that is bounded by well traveled roads approximately 2-3 miles apart. It will make the cadaver dogs job easier...

My $00.0002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05   #12
wet dog

Excellent source for a map near you, by state or country.

http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/
Old 09-29-2011, 21:41   #13
cbkb98
Asset

I do know how to use MGRS and how to plot a grid and subtract from grid to magnetic, all MGRS. But I want to learn how to do it using lat/long, or even converting lat/long to MGRS
Old 09-29-2011, 21:52   #14
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Your admitted level of understanding, puts you at the absolute entry level in the land navigation game.

You need some formal classes. Not anything worldly, but basic map reading as taught to the BSA. These class typically will include introductions to compass use.

You also need to get spatially organized. The ability to "see in 3d", as ZonieDiver suggests, is more than a suggestion, it's a necessity.

AFTER you have good working knowledge of map reading and geo recondition, you should join a geocaching club and work at learning the GPS game.

Until you have a moderate understanding, do not attempt any Grizzle Adams tracks. It will only lead to the expenditure of vast amounts on money by the local search & rescue to drag your butt out of the woods,, toe tag optional...

Mean while,, If you feel you need to run around in the woods, find an area that is bounded by well traveled roads approximately 2-3 miles apart. It will make the cadaver dogs job easier...

My $00.0002

Good suggestion. For the younger crowd, try using a local golf course. Course Holes usually have a map. Short diatances allows them to learn course corrections, etc.