Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 09-16-2011, 11:01   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Armando Cordoba Special Forces POW Liar and Fraud

Armando Cordoba Special Forces POW ???
We are going to find out.
Team Sergeant

7 1/2 months as POW
From Green Beret to restaurant owner
By Jason Campbell
Reporter jcampbell@mantecabulletin.com 209-249-3544
POSTED September 16, 2011 1:57 a.m.

Armando Cordoba was 3 ½ klicks behind enemy lines on a recon mission in Cambodia when he realized that he was in trouble.

With only two fellow Green Berets by his side, Cordoba could see the North Vietnamese Army gathering in the jungle in front of him. It started to become clear that the helicopter that dropped them made a serious topographical error.

So he and his men did the only thing that they could. They radioed in for confirmation that they were in fact deeper into enemy territory than they were supposed to be, waited for word that an evacuation was coming and slowly started to back out.

That’s when all hell broke loose.

The NVA spotted the three men and opened up on their position. The Green Berets – one of the Army’s Special Forces Groups that receives extensive outdoor survival training – fired back as they retreated towards the evacuation zone. The cover fire and the assistance of a pair of gunships was enough to get them to the bird that was waiting, and they piled in.

And then everything went black.

“They hit the tail of the helicopter and it went down. When I finally woke up there was smoke everywhere, and I could hear one of our men screaming,” Cordoba said. “I started working my way over there and that’s when I felt a gun press against my neck and heard a command telling me to stop. The next thing I knew I got hit in the face with the butt of the gun – it knocked my top teeth out and everything – and I came to with a bag over my head and my hands tied up.

“I knew then what was going to happen.”

Life as a Prisoner of War

For 7 ½ months Cordoba was kept as a prisoner by the NVA in a series of camps that he believes were in Cambodia and Laos. They would remain caged in for 18 hours a day, and would receive only minimal amounts of food and water. Contact among the prisoners was strictly prohibited – even eye contact would result in a visit from the guards.

And treatment, he said, was a nightmare. Waterboarding was a regular occurrence, and other forms of torture used to try and coax information out of the prisoners included inserting bamboo shoots underneath finger and toenails. Electrocuting prisoners by forcing them to stand in water that had been wired was also a tactic, Cordoba said, that was used.

“The things that they did were brutal,” he said. “But they never got any information out of me.”

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/section/1/article/27323/
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

"......a handful of pilots....."

He escaped with "..........a handful of pilots..............". That means at least two.

So counting himself that would be a group of at least three that escaped.

And the number of times a group of 3 or more American POWs escaped from captivity during the VN war was__________?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:18   #3
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
He escaped with "..........a handful of pilots..............". That means at least two.

So counting himself that would be a group of at least three that escaped.

And the number of times a group of 3 or more American POWs escaped from captivity during the VN war was__________?
Pete, Pete, Pete....you know we can't release that kind of information...it was a classified escape.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 13:05   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

He was listed as of 9/11 on POWNETWORK...

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 13:22   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
They added him this morning 9/16/2011 after I sent them the newpaper article and let them know of the issues related to the truth of his POW claims.

Quote:
On it! Just posted him. It's pure BS.

Mary
I also sent an e-mail to the reporter expressing the problems with Cordoba's claims, providing him with the links to check the POW/MIA records, and suggesting he follow up by browsing the POW Network's web-site and read Jug Burkett's 'Stolen Valor' to understand how large the problem is - no answer yet.

http://memory.loc.gov/pow/powhome.html

http://www.axpow.org/vietnamescapes.pdf

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 13:24   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
LOL, I also sent Mary an email with this guys data.... she just posted it I'm sure.....
Old 09-16-2011, 14:12   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

There's so much ...sniffle...love in here.....

it's...sniffle sniffle....touching. Really..

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 09-16-2011, 15:47   #8
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Perhaps defrauding the VA as well....

The reported sent me a response...note the bold / highlight...

Major Klapperich,

I received a tip from a reader about Mr. Cordoba's service, and my editor sent me to interview him. He provided me with his VA card that signified that he was a Prisoner of War (our photographer took a picture that was initially going to run with the story), and noted that he was attached to the 75th Ranger Regiment during the interview. Other information he provided verbally checked out upon further investigation (like the quick answer about which group he was attached with, where he was stationed when in country and his general demeanor and knowledge in recanting the scenarios in which he faced.) I felt no reason at the time to ask for his discharge papers because his VA card clearly had "Prisoner of War" printed across the bottom and it would seem that the federal government would need the documentation to prove that in order for that card to be distributed.

I will definitely look into this matter further, and appreciate the letter of your concern. The last thing that we would want to do is tarnish the legacy of true special forces personnel and prisoners of war -- let alone those killed in action.

Respectfully,

Jason Campbell
Staff Reporter, Manteca Bulletin
(209) 249-3544 (office)
(209) 612-5225 (cell)

Interesting...

Oh, yes, and I did check-Mr. Cordoba is NOT listed in the database of almost 160,000 POW / MIA personnel maintained by the Library of Congress for the period of the Vietnam War.

The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 09-16-2011 at 15:50.
Old 09-16-2011, 17:59   #9
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

The 75th Ranger Regiment, as such, didn't exist until 1984.
Old 09-16-2011, 18:30   #10
mark46th
Quiet Professional

You would think these jack wagons would do a little homework before they started spouting this crap...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 18:33   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

I've asked the reporter for specifics on the units/locations/times claimed by Mr Cordero so they can be checked with the historical record.

Tic..toc...tic...toc...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 19:29   #12
Tress
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by mark46th:

You would think these jack wagons would do a little homework before they started spouting this crap...
Which jack wagons were you referring to, the posers or the reporters?

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 19:35   #13
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Armando Cordoba was 3 ½ klicks behind enemy lines on a recon mission in Cambodia when he realized that he was in trouble.

Yep, seems Mr. Cordoba is about to learn the definition of the word trouble...
Old 09-16-2011, 19:57   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Yep, seems Mr. Cordoba is about to learn the definition of the word trouble...
LOL, Armando Cordoba was 3 ½ klicks behind a bullshit story when he realized that he was in trouble.. .....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 20:00   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I'll give this one to the reporters, especially if the guy showed them an ID with a big POW stamped at the bottom....

It's USASFC facebook people that need to feel a little heat right now. They posted the story on their Facebook page.