Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 7th Special Forces Group

Old 06-13-2011, 08:20   #1
Grimm
Asset

Checking Validity of a 7th SFG(A) Claim

An NCO in my unit, now serving as a Mortuary Affairs Sergeant, claims to have been a Quiet Professional sometime in the 1980's. I'm sorry, I don't have specific years, all he's told me is that he was involved in Operation Urgent Fury and Operation Just Cause. He said after time spent in Group, he got out and tried civilian life before returning to active duty as a SPC. If anyone could be of any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

My reason for asking, so I don't seem like a nosy snot, is because it'd be great to talk to someone, up close and personal, about the rigors of preparation, selection, and beyond. The main thing that gives me doubt is a coin he pulled from his pocket when I'd asked about his Special Forces career. He pulled it out and slammed it on a desk and said, "Earned in blood." I'm no experts on challenge coins but it honestly looked like something off of the PX coin rack.

I appreciate any help, once again. I apologize if I tread on any toes, I try to keep my visits here more education oriented as I feel there isn't much I can contribute to the general discussions. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
An NCO in my unit, now serving as a Mortuary Affairs Sergeant, claims to have been a Quiet Professional sometime in the 1980's. I'm sorry, I don't have specific years, all he's told me is that he was involved in Operation Urgent Fury and Operation Just Cause. He said after time spent in Group, he got out and tried civilian life before returning to active duty as a SPC. If anyone could be of any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

My reason for asking, so I don't seem like a nosy snot, is because it'd be great to talk to someone, up close and personal, about the rigors of preparation, selection, and beyond. The main thing that gives me doubt is a coin he pulled from his pocket when I'd asked about his Special Forces career. He pulled it out and slammed it on a desk and said, "Earned in blood." I'm no experts on challenge coins but it honestly looked like something off of the PX coin rack.

I appreciate any help, once again. I apologize if I tread on any toes, I try to keep my visits here more education oriented as I feel there isn't much I can contribute to the general discussions. Thanks.
Do you have a name? Or did I miss it in the post somewhere...
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26   #3
Grimm
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Do you have a name? Or did I miss it in the post somewhere...
Wasn't sure if I should or not, but his name is James Florence. Not entirely sure of the middle initial or what rank he was at the time. I do know that he was a Bravo. Sorry to have left that out.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47   #4
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Urgent Fury and Just Cause..........

What rank is he now?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's FOS!!!!!

Does he wear any of the Accoutrements that go with a glorious SF career with 2 combat operations?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53   #5
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post

What rank is he now?

Does he wear any of the Accoutrements that go with a glorious SF career with 2 combat operations?
I gotta say, I don't know a single SF Brother who would slap down a Coin with a statement like that.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58   #6
Grimm
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post

What rank is he now?

He's an E-5 now. But from my understanding, if you are out for so long and come back at a later date, you lose rank.

Negative. Leads me to another question. Once you are awarded the tab, you can wear it for the rest of your career, no? He wears no right sleeve patch or tab, just a pair of jump wings. He did do time with 82nd, so he may picked them up there. I wanna believe him cause he's seems like an honest guy and he's a good NCO but alot of the things he says, just makes me wonder.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06   #7
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
He's an E-5 now. But from my understanding, if you are out for so long and come back at a later date, you lose rank.

Negative. Leads me to another question. Once you are awarded the tab, you can wear it for the rest of your career, no? He wears no right sleeve patch or tab, just a pair of jump wings. He did do time with 82nd, so he may picked them up there. I wanna believe him cause he's seems like an honest guy and he's a good NCO but alot of the things he says, just makes me wonder.
Unless he had his tab (and I think he didn't earn one) revoked then he can wear his tab. I would start with the simple questions like when did he go through the Q course. Or what team was he on?

Urgent Fury was in '83...28 years ago. Just Cause was in Dec '89...which was 22 years ago...let's pretend he was old enough to have completed time in SF prior to both of those events. He should be pushing 50 or more. I know because I'm closing the gap on 47 and I was in language school after the Q in Dec of '89.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16   #8
Grimm
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
Unless he had his tab (and I think he didn't earn one) revoked then he can wear his tab. I would start with the simple questions like when did he go through the Q course. Or what team was he on?

Urgent Fury was in '83...28 years ago. Just Cause was in Dec '89...which was 22 years ago...let's pretend he was old enough to have completed time in SF prior to both of those events. He should be pushing 50 or more. I know because I'm closing the gap on 47 and I was in language school after the Q in Dec of '89.
I didn't delve too much into it. Though I did ask him how Pineland was and if Nasty Nick was tough. He gave me a funny look and said Pineland was bad and Nasty Nick wasn't around in his day. Although, I can't find any material putting a date on when the obstacle course was set up or when it was named in honor on the good Colonel. I did find however that Colonel Rowe fell in Manilla in 1989, so IF he did go through selection it wasn't named after him before Just Cause when he had supposedly went through the pipline.

Last edited by Grimm; 06-13-2011 at 09:20.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I know that Rangers, 82d, Marines and SEALs were present for the Urgent Fury, but I was in Hondo at the time and I do no tknow of any 7th Grp guys in Grenada.

I also do not remember that name from Just Cause.

I think he is full of s**t.

What "injuy" prevented him form coming back into Group when he came back in? I know you will lose rank when you are out for a while but not your quals.

My 2 cents.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19   #10
Grimm
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
I know that Rangers, 82d, Marines and SEALs were present for the Urgent Fury, but I was in Hondo at the time and I do no tknow of any 7th Grp guys in Grenada.

I also do not remember that name from Just Cause.

I think he is full of s**t.

What "injuy" prevented him form coming back into Group when he came back in? I know you will lose rank when you are out for a while but not your quals.

My 2 cents.
Very well, Gentlemen. Thanks for your input. I think I can safely say he's full of s**t. In his stead, is there anyone in VA who would not mind joining me for lunch or something to discuss SFAS/Q-Course with me. Just trying to get some 1st person experienced points of view on the whole thing. Plan on going for it after my next deployment in the coming months.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07   #11
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

I participated in Urgent Fury with 1/75 as a 19 year old and am in my late 40s, so he would have to be older than me. Also, 7th SFGA wasn't one of the units that participated in UF. You only need to ask:

When did you go through the Q course? Who was your first team sergeant? What was your first assignment (location/battalion/company/team)?

Those answers should roll right off his tongue. Trust your instincts. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Old 06-13-2011, 14:24   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Invite him to join our ranks here. We'd love to reconnect with a brother who paid for his coin "In Blood". He can offer the rest of us advice, since most of my coins were issued by the Commander when I joined the unit. Hell, I'm on leave, I just may head up there to have lunch with you myself. Think he'll be free too?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 16:05   #13
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, I know a JP (James) Florentz, who was in 3d Gp (2/3),though. Prolly not the same fella. Well...it may be...he did like friggin with folks... He did have an 82d combat patch...I think from the Gulf War. He was my JR Bravo in the mid 90's.....

So...I don't think it's the same "James"...just throwin' it out there..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29   #14
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

Grenada and 7th Grp

The only 7th Group "participation" on/in Grenada was the MTT (yep I said it, MTT) to train the locals to become a small "para military" force. They were all Grenadian police officers to start. This mission started some six months (maybe longer) after the invasion. The mission was eventually taken over by 5th group. He wasn't with me while I was there.....think he's BSinig ya....CSM-H
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08   #15
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Obstacle course

In 1969, I was part of a 6th group work party that cleared a path through the woods at Camp Mackall, burned the huge slash piles and started to set up obstacles.
I remember helping to place the alternating sawed off poles that stuck out of the ground about 4 feet, that we were required to run across.
I have NO idea if this is the same course today.

I hope this info is helpful.

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote