Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58   #1
TheGoose
Asset

35M / 35L Reclass Slots Prior Service Inquiry

In my 72hour wait for intro I hit the search button a few times looking for intel or 35M threads for 19th SFG and came up short. If this is out of line I'll take my lumps.

I'm a medic now with a couple of years left on Active Duty and coming up on my reenlistment window. I don't want to chicken out and reenlist because I'm not quite finished with school, but I don't want to run the clock down without an exit plan. I'd really like to go guard and get on assignment with 19th SFG as a 35L or 35M.

Though the particulars of a reply may help someone else, please PM me if opsec or persec are an issue.

I appreciate any info,

V/R

TheGoose

Addendum: I have the clearance and a 110 DLAB
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16   #2
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
I'd really like to...get on assignment with 19th SFG as a 35L or 35M.
Why? Seriously, I'm curious as to why most folks want to go CI or HUMINT over the other 35 series jobs out there.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:36   #3
TheGoose
Asset

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Why? Seriously, I'm curious as to why most folks want to go CI or HUMINT over the other 35 series jobs out there.
35P- I enlisted for this, found out I would most likely be in a room with no windows listening to cuts all day long. When I wanted to say something, I'd be doing it in an internal chat room. On the tactical side, sure collection can be cool but then again it's not my lot to deal with machines and compartmentalized (cubicle) life.

I'm a people person, I've spent a lot of time in sales and have been given bizarre amounts of responsibility for my age (at the time) because "dealing with" people is what I'm best suited for.

When I was 19 I was a local winery's regional sales acct manager for everything in the bottom half of my home state. Somehow I was able to convince, Sam's Club, Whole Foods, Ft. Huachuca, and Davis Monthan (to name a few) to buy and stock very generous quantities of my disgusting boutique wine. I found out that going out, meeting people, and "selling beans" was something I am very good at. I don't even like wine and I was under age back then.

35M is over strength in Active Duty and 35L is not an option for me currently.

Some people like the technical side of SIGINT, some people prefer the human component in HUMINT.

Also as I get older, and since the birth of my youngest, I really don't get hung up on the money making or "future aspect" of what my job brings in. I want a job that I can get into, chew on, and be proud of. I don't want to look back and say "oh well, I should of done this, or that". Sometimes you just have to let the BS go and do what makes you happy. If I made the big bucks in SIGINT, but came home and pounded down scotch and ignored my family because I was pissed off all the time, how would my fancy clothes, cars, and TV pull me out of that slump?

My old man turned down all sorts of jobs with bonuses and big bucks because in his words, "You gotta be happy to be a hero".

Last edited by TheGoose; 05-22-2011 at 09:43.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43   #4
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
35P- I enlisted for this, found out I would most likely be in a room with no windows listening to cuts all day long. When I wanted to say something, I'd be doing it in an internal chat room. On the tactical side, sure collection can be cool but then again it's not my lot to deal with machines and compartmentalized (cubicle) life.
The only time I worked in a windowless room processing stuff all day was when I was in training (in the military).

How do you think things are documented on the CI/HUMINT side of the house especially after a meeting? Additionally, most CI work is extremely compartmentalized.

"Big bucks in SIGINT"...THAT was freakin hilarious!!!

A recruiter can give you more info about what the GSC needs. Good luck.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05   #5
TheGoose
Asset

I was referring to the career development differences in pay between HUMINT and SIGINT.

Friends of mine at the NSA are making like over 80k a year (edit: these are former 35Ps with CAT IVs), my friends doing SIGINT work as contractors are making 230k a year or more.

Starting pay at the CIA/FBI/State LE Detective 40-50k a year starting. Contractor 35M friend of mine downrange now making 120k a year.

Friend of mine at 1st SFG SOT-A never had to spend time in a windowless room, but then again I mentioned that about the tactical side up top. He also got quite a bit of medic training and breach/demo training which is awesome. There's just far fewer SIGINTers in SOF than there are at Meade or in your average MI unit.

I write pretty well, and find that doing well with words is something that transfers in report writing from speech.

Seems like a matter of personal preference, really.

Back on track. I spoke with a recruiter and he said it's possible, but didn't offer up much else. He's pushing for the MI units. So then I spoke with a mike friend of mine at the unit the recruiter is pushing for. He said the recruiter is most likely full of it and that 19th SFG is difficult to get into as a 35M. He said volunteering for a deployment with group is far easier than getting on assignment. So then I ran that buy my papa friend at group and didn't get a response. Figured I'd go this route as well to kind of fill in the gaps.

Last edited by TheGoose; 05-22-2011 at 11:09.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:14   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
HUMINT?
Same reason Nobody wanted it before 2001.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote