Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 05-04-2011, 23:25   #1
naccout
Asset

Good evening (SITREP)

Good evening, QP's!

I'd like to come back to this site, starting with a SITREP. A few years ago I started researching this site prior to enlisting- I believe that was the time frame of my original introduction here. I had great interest in enlisting 18X, now in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't (will explain later in this post.) I completed 19D OSUT July 2009. Unsure of what to do with myself, and unhappy with my unit, I began researching alternative avenues of approach. I IST'd to the 1-143 (A) in Texas in may 2010. (m key is broken, excuse the lack of capitalization.) Prior to transferring to that unit, I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Quickly I learned how little I knew, and that I was a tiny fish in the ocean. I'm not going to lie..I was a bit discouraged thinking about SF at this point.

This month marks the 1 year date since I've been flying to drill. I've absolutely furthered the level of my knowledge, and I am becoming confident in my skills. In march, at my 2 year TIS date, I was promoted to SPC. 30 April I completed 11B mos-q.

I am currently awaiting a slot for jump school, and also preparing for deployment. I know now that I am getting closer to my goal of entering the Q course prepared and confident...although it is obviously not my next 50 meter target yet.

I know now that I have the motivation, dedication, and mental fortitude required to take the next steps. I am in good shape- physically and mentally. I keep the Ranger handbook on me, and know my Infantry acronyms, understand OPORDs, etc. I am very strong at rucking, and becoming more confident at Land NAV (5/5 in 1.5 hours at 11B mos-q a few weeks ago.) Although I do need to work on improving my terrain identification and association.

I realize I am planning ahead of my 50 meter target, please do not misunderstand that for losing focus on the tasks at hand. I am ensuring that I am preparing in the best ways possible. When I return from deployment, I am going to have to either move to Texas, or transfer back to Washington. I can't afford to fly to drill forever. I know there is a SF company here (Buckley, I believe? I live in Tacoma/near Ft. Lewis.)

In addition to sending you all a SITREP I am hoping to get some guidance. Things to study? methods of practical exercises? What is a good way to practice land NAV on my own time? What is the best way to get local topo maps? Also, if I were to transfer back to Washington- what avenue of approach do you recommend? Possibly a reach- but since my unit is 2000 miles away, I don't have any battles around here to work with. my 1st Group friend is currently away. Are there any QP's here that would consider working with me?

I'm excited to make this post and I'm looking forward to any input you may offer. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond. Thank you!

-NN
naccout is offline   Reply With Quote