Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18   #1
Retiredfire
Asset

swollen knee

Am seeing an orthopod in a week or so, but was wondering if anyone here had an opinion as what it may be. I struck my R knee (patela) on ground while rolling in jujitsu. It is currently swollen but not painful. When i squat down it feels tight.It feels s if there is an accumulation of fluid. I can palpate the patella without pain and it does not move around abnormally, but it fells like there is 1cm of extra squishy tissue over it as compared to the other one. My guess is an accumulation of fluid in the bursa between the tibia and the patellar ligament, however the swelling feels to be on top of the ligament?
Retiredfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Sounds like you bruised your patella - or as we used to say "F'd up knee, rub some dirt on it, eat 600mg of motrin and forget about it until tomorrow, if it still hurts get an x-ray."

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:42   #3
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

sounds like it's FUBAR....just kidding, you're eval of it sounds accurate. RICE is your friend with an ibuprofen chaser......
Never hurts to see an orthopod. Hope you heal well
ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:55   #4
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
sounds like it's FUBAR....just kidding, you're eval of it sounds accurate. RICE is your friend with an ibuprofen chaser......
Never hurts to see an orthopod. Hope you heal well
ss
And if the swelling doesn't go town, (after appropriate evaluation) sometimes the orthopod will drain the fluid +/- give a steroid injection to help quiet down the inflammation.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:57   #5
Retiredfire
Asset

thanks

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.
Old 05-01-2011, 19:22   #6
Tress
Quiet Professional

No medic here, but

I am not a medic, but I did have a similar thing happen to me about 10 years ago. I was taking the snow tires off of my car and putting on the summer tires. Alot of kneeling without the benefit of protection. The next day the knee started to swell. Three days later it looked really bad and was actually a little painful when I would bend the knee. It almost seemed like there was way too much fluid in the joint, which created more pressure in the joint than there should have been. The symptons sound almost identical except that I maybe had more inflammation. The orthopedic that I went to said that it was something like a "ruptured Bursa."

To all you medics out there, does that sound "kosher". I just took the Ortho at his word. I had never used him prior.

He drained the knee twice over a one week time period, taking out a boatload of a rose colored fluid both times, and it never did it again. He mentioned the possibility of having to remove the Bursa, but since it never occurred again that has not happened.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:16   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

I have a similar problem on my elbow.........I fell on it and now have a bag of ? about the size of a baseball hanging from the elbow.......... I've had it for about 3 weeks now and it hasn't gone down........I thought I'd wait and go to the emergency room the next time I have an appointment at the VA........Do I need to get it drained?......What is it ?.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45   #8
Retiredfire
Asset

knee

been taking NSAIDS for the past 3 days and iccing it whenerver i can swelling is down but not back to normal. seeing the ortho in the AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 13:29   #9
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

pre patellar bursitis

Retire,
This initially sounds like a pre-patellar bursitis. The one thing that concerns me is the tightness with flexion (bending the knee). Does the tightness feel like it is within the joint or strictly outside the joint? If it is simply a pre-patellar bursitis, the fluid will probably absorb in short order. It will help if you have a compressive dressing on it like an ACE wrap. Keep the skin clean as these can some times become infected expecially in the grappling arts venue. If the tightness is from fluid within the joint, that is another set of issues depending on your age. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck to you.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 13:56   #10
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer-61 View Post
Retire,
This initially sounds like a pre-patellar bursitis. The one thing that concerns me is the tightness with flexion (bending the knee). Does the tightness feel like it is within the joint or strictly outside the joint? If it is simply a pre-patellar bursitis, the fluid will probably absorb in short order. It will help if you have a compressive dressing on it like an ACE wrap. Keep the skin clean as these can some times become infected expecially in the grappling arts venue. If the tightness is from fluid within the joint, that is another set of issues depending on your age. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck to you.
Not a doctor, but suffered from similar issues a while back. I swear there was a thorough discussion of it on here, but my Google-fu seems to be on the fritz today. If I come across it I'll link to it.

Boomer's diagnosis is pretty similar to my case and what might be going on with you. I was doing a lot of MMA in addition to rucking, and sadly strict rest was the only thing that allowed the fluid to drain/reabsorb. Any time I would go back to using the joint outside of normal use, it would swell up and become sore again right below the kneecap. Enough time off of it and everything went back to normal. Good luck.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:05   #11
Retiredfire
Asset

knee

pre patellar bursitis is the winning diagnosis according to the orthopod.http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...maids_knee.htm.
No jujitsu for another month. rice and nsaids, and if not better in a month cortisone.
thank you boomer, ss, and all who responded. Funny side note. I am currently working in an NICU and after informal consultations with the neonatologist the best suggestion/diagnoses i could garner was: you should have two knees and if they hurt go to an orthopod.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:50   #12
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

The lesser of evils

Although a nuisance anything outside the joint is always better than problems within the joint. This should resolve without further issues.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I have a similar problem on my elbow.........I fell on it and now have a bag of ? about the size of a baseball hanging from the elbow.......... I've had it for about 3 weeks now and it hasn't gone down........I thought I'd wait and go to the emergency room the next time I have an appointment at the VA........Do I need to get it drained?......What is it ?.......

Big Teddy
3 weeks? Go to the ER, Bro.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43   #14
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

olecranon bursitis

Big Teddy,
Sorry, I was focused on Retire's post and missed yours. It sounds like you have an olecranon bursitis; basically fluid accumulation in the bursa over the elbow. I've seen theses as big as yours and they too generally absorb with time if you use a compressive dressing (ACE wrap). An X-ray would be good just to make sure you didn't chip the bone. If the X-ray is negative and the fluid does not resolve with compression sometimes they need to be drained. Be careful of abrasions as they can seed or infect the sack and that gets into surgery.
Good luck.