Old 04-21-2011, 05:03   #1
-Baz-
Asset

Just curious, "what if"

Hi everyone, I am just curious as to what would happen if there was a major war (similar to that of WWII), how would the strategy of the Army change more specifically SF? I am sure overall, the Military would start drafting people...but would they shorten boot camp and training? just to get people in and out...would SF training also change? I'm just asking about opinions and so forth, anyone with experience maybe in Vietnam would have a better Idea since it was also a pretty major conflict. thanks.
-Baz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Well......

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Baz- View Post
.......but would they shorten boot camp and training? just to get people in and out...would SF training also change? .............
Well, they could make things real short. Just pull them in off the street, hand them uniforms and guns then ship them to the front. Seems to work well enough for some third world countries during a large war.

Didn't somebody say something along the lines of "You go to war with the Army you have - not the one you wished you had?"

Now, since you are talking Big Army why did you post it in here and not the general discussion section? Non QPs are not supposed to answer in this section.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 13:38   #3
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

WWII?

There will NEVER be another war like the Second World War, The nuclear arsenal that many country's now have would start a conflict that would be over in 30 to 45 minutes, and if you were unlucky to survive the initial Thermonuclear detionations that would be exchanged by any of the countries that attacked the U S , Radiation sickness would be fatal in 30 to 90 days at most. Just one of the 18 nuclear sub's that the U S admits to having in its inventory with a minimum of 10 being deployed all the time carries enough thermonuclear devices with MIRV warheads, I think but have no proof that each sub has 20 to 30 missle tubes and each missle has 10 warheads in the 20 Kiloton range, if you do the math you will conclude that there will be no more World Wars lasting @ 5 years. IMHO, tom kelly
P S Let's just win there hearts and minds & if that does not work, KILL THEM ALL.
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 14:01   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There are 14 Trident SSBNs remaining in service. Four were converted to cruise missile launch boats. Some others were converted to SEAL launch platforms.

Each of the boomers has 24 vertical launch tubes for the D5 missile.

The D5s have, according to open sources, up to five re-entry vehicles each, with up to 300KT nominal yield per RV.

That would total 120 independently targetable weapons with a total of 36 MT yield per sub.

Even so, I am not buying into the nuclear war is unsurvivable, especially today with our reduced arsenals.

We have been at war for almost ten years now, and no one has popped one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Baz- View Post
Hi everyone, I am just curious as to what would happen if there was a major war (similar to that of WWII), how would the strategy of the Army change more specifically SF? I am sure overall, the Military would start drafting people...but would they shorten boot camp and training? just to get people in and out...would SF training also change? I'm just asking about opinions and so forth, anyone with experience maybe in Vietnam would have a better Idea since it was also a pretty major conflict. thanks.
This is an immature question. We do not encourage idle pondering or trolling here. I hope any more questions you post will be better.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote