Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-06-2011, 00:10   #1
Aloring001
Asset

FA or Infantry officer?

I am currently an ROTC cadet about to go to LDAC this summer and will soon have to make the critical decision of branching. I am stuck between Field Artillery and Infantry. I was curious to see if anyone had any insight as to which would better transition to SF. I would assume Infantry would, but we all know what happens when you assume.
If you leave here with the word DUTY implanted in your mind; if you leave here with the word HONOR carved in your soul; if you leave here with love of COUNTRY stamped on your heart, then you will be a twenty-first century leader worthy of the great privilege and honor of leading the sons and daughters of America.
-General H Norman Schwarzkopf

Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
Aloring001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:25   #2
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Jack Maroney and I had a conversation about this and while I did not agree with him, I did not continue to discuss my opinion being as he was far more knowledgeable about the subject than I.

You can go and search about three year or four years back.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Jack Maroney and I had a conversation about this and while I did not agree with him, I did not continue to discuss my opinion being as he was far more knowledgeable about the subject than I./quote/Buffalobob

No one I know had more moxie when it came to most military questions than Jack Maroney,he even forgot more about hockey than I'll ever know,that was for sure....He was one hell of a guy.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40   #4
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloring001 View Post
I am currently an ROTC cadet about to go to LDAC this summer and will soon have to make the critical decision of branching. I am stuck between Field Artillery and Infantry. I was curious to see if anyone had any insight as to which would better transition to SF. I would assume Infantry would, but we all know what happens when you assume.
I recommend wearing out the 'search' function on this forum before I even asked a single question.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:40   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This is why we need to stop new members from starting threads for a while.

Maybe someone will learn how to use the Search button or do some reading while they are waiting.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 21:58   #6
Aloring001
Asset

Apologies

I did use the search, but to little avail. A lot of what I found was not what I was looking for. I did come across Jack Moroney's "Building an 18A" thread and found it helpful, but unable to fully answer my question. I thought posting a thread would give me some solid feedback from those who know and have experience. I apologize if I did inconvience you. I will search longer and harder before asking a question.
If you leave here with the word DUTY implanted in your mind; if you leave here with the word HONOR carved in your soul; if you leave here with love of COUNTRY stamped on your heart, then you will be a twenty-first century leader worthy of the great privilege and honor of leading the sons and daughters of America.

Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.

Last edited by Aloring001; 02-06-2011 at 22:00.
Old 02-06-2011, 22:42   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloring001 View Post
I am currently an ROTC cadet <at SIUE> . . . decision of branching. I am stuck . . .
Ask Major C to put you in touch with one of the SF soldiers he know. This particular guy will be happy to drink on your tab and tell stories. He happens to like the Stagger Inn very much (second choice is Laurie's).
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 22:46   #8
Aloring001
Asset

Small World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Ask Major C to put you in touch with one of the SF soldiers he know. This particular guy will be happy to drink on your tab and tell stories. He happens to like the Stagger Inn very much (second choice is Laurie's).
Oddly enough, MAJ C was the one who first put the idea of SF in my head. Before I had always thought of it as an unattainable thing, but he talked to me about it and is always willing to help and made it seem more realistic and appealing. I will deffinitely talk to him more when he gets back from CLS next week.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 23:00   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

I saw officers come to SF from nearly all combat arms branches - individual ability, a positive attitude, common sense, and trainability were important qualifiers for overcoming most entry level shortcomings.

IMO - your basic branch should be the one in which you have the greatest aptitude and personal desire to serve as it will provide you the greatest chance to succeed and, if you find the SF option is out of reach, a branch in which you can offer the most for the overall good of the service.

Remember, you're considering entering a higher level of personal commitment and selflessness - your choice - just be honest with yourself and your country.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:38   #10
Aloring001
Asset

Read and Heed

I reread the Stickys again and want to make known that I am not planning on being an 18A. I want to be an officer to lead soldiers, not look cool or impress people. SF is not my career "plan" but more of an interest and something I thought I would explore sooner rather than later. Positive and helpful feedback is appreciated and I will continue to read through posts and only ask questions when I cannot find the answers in previous threads.

Thanks to those who help.

Richard - Thanks for the heads up. I do plan to go into the branch I feel I would be happiest and most successful (success measure by the quality of my work, not the speed of promotion).

Old 02-06-2011, 23:47   #11
PRB
Quiet Professional

Leading is leading wherever you choose to do it.
Anyone on this site with an SF Tab will tell you Infantry is the way to go...there are only so many ways you can cock a cannon.
If you want a continual challange with the variables constantly changing then go Infantry.
I also suggest you check the asfab scores for the enlisted folks in both CMF's...might give you a clue as to your audience.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14   #12
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I like blue.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:41   #13
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
This is why we need to stop new members from starting threads for a while.

Maybe someone will learn how to use the Search button or do some reading while they are waiting.

TR
Sir,

Maybe we could create a specific thread for SF related questions so it can at least be isolated? Maybe block it from the "new posts" search feature so it doesn't clog up the board. Maybe I just had a visit from the good idea fairy.

Sgt Fonzy
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51   #14
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Colonel Arthur "Bull" Simons was originally commissioned in the Field Artillary. It didn't hurt his career much!
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 14:19   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sir,

Maybe we could create a specific thread for SF related questions so it can at least be isolated? Maybe block it from the "new posts" search feature so it doesn't clog up the board. Maybe I just had a visit from the good idea fairy.

Sgt Fonzy
Maybe it should've been the reading comprehension fairy or the think about what you're doing before posting fairy!

And what did you think this forum was?

Special Forces Questions
Ask your questions about Special Forces here. OPSEC Violaters will be hanged!

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=95

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote