Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 02-04-2011, 17:15   #1
distance-runner
SF Candidate

New APFT in the future?

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/32717729

I didn't find this in any searches, I apologize in advance if this link has already been posted. From the above link you can download the new PT manual TC 3-22.20 Army Physical Readiness Training.

It seems like the Army is getting away from long distance runs and wanting to emphasize events like 'shuttle sprints' and '30-60s' (30 seconds sprint, 60 seconds job/walk). Functional, combat related fitness seems to be the fixation. Who knows if this may bring about a new APFT, but I'd think the chances are good.

Hypothetically, and my opinion is that the distance run event should not be scrubbed for a sprint event. Distance running is a great aerobic indicator, sprinting primarily anaerobic. Maybe the Army should just add sprinting and pull ups to the APFT. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years. I know some of the 173rd here in Vicenza is going to be piloting a new test based on events from this manual.

Any comments or concerns on the new PT manual and the "inadequacies" of the current APFT?
Old 02-04-2011, 21:16   #2
CSB
Quiet Professional

Appendix A is still the three event APFT we have come to know and enjoy, with alternative events possible (bike, swim).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 23:15   #3
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Physical Readiness Training (PRT) prepares Soldiers and units for the physical challenges of fulfilling this mission in the face of a wide range of threats, in complex operational environments and with emerging technologies.
 Part I, Philosophy, covers approach, system and leadership.
 Part II, Strategy, covers types of programs, planning considerations and special conditioning programs.
 Part III, Activities, covers execution of training, preparation and recovery, strength and mobility and endurance and mobility.
 Appendix A is the Army Physical Fitness Test.
 Appendix B discusses climbing bars.
 Appendix C discusses posture and body mechanics.
 Appendix D discusses environmental considerations.
 Appendix E discusses obstacle negotiation..

I kinda like the three event APFT and am glad it will still be around. You're not overwhelmed with too many events, like when we had the horizontal ladder, the run-dodge-&-jump, inverted crawl, timed run in combat boots, ect...ect...

To enhance, not replace the APFT...

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 23:59   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by distance-runner View Post
Hypothetically, and my opinion is that the distance run event should not be scrubbed for a sprint event. Distance running is a great aerobic indicator, sprinting primarily anaerobic. Maybe the Army should just add sprinting and pull ups to the APFT.
Might your opinion be a bit biased since you are a distance runner?

Personally I think the 2-miler should be removed and replaced by sprints in combat load. When was the last time someone ran 2 miles in combat to begin with...

Quote:
Any comments or concerns on the... "inadequacies" of the current APFT?
The APFT as it stands measures 3 events (which are totally non-related to combat or being fit for such.) It was meant to be easy to administer, not measure combat fitness.

More time and effort should be placed on core and overall strength. Flat bench, deadlift, pullup with kit...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-05-2011 at 00:01.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 00:11   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
When was the last time someone ran 2 miles in combat to begin with...
Somalia?

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:34   #6
wet dog

I'd like to see a 100 yard sprint followed by a 100 yard walk back to start (round trip, 600 ft.), repeated 10 times, (for 6,000 ft), in basic combat load, with a time threshold, percentage of current APFT standards, follwed by a 12 mile road march, then PU, SU and swim for time/distance.

But that would be an all day event rather than 1 hr for 1SG and crew to administer.

--------------- on a side note ------------

I like the sprint PT workout, its easier on my knees than runnning or jogging, and it can kick your ass. I want to get back to out right running for 1 mile before slowing.

Chances are, it ain't going to happen, because of all this damn snow.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:37   #7
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Personally I think the 2-miler should be removed and replaced by sprints in combat load.

Crip
IMO, as a base level measurement tool, the 3 event APFT works. It’s not perfect but no program would be for every command or individual. For us, it won't measure other areas of concern such as an ability to hump a heavy ruck 20 miles as a timed event but, for events like that WE make our own standards because we have a higher standard than the rest of the Army.

Other training requirements such as swimming, weight training, or sprints in combat load should continue to be as directed from the individual Company or ODA PT programs, and or an individual’s personal program as needed.

....jd

Thomas Jefferson

Vannevar Bush
Old 02-05-2011, 07:21   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

What ever happen to "squat jumps"?........ I hated them,I would redder do push ups than them,could never understand what benefit you get out of them!........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Somalia?
Good catch Sir. I had forgotten about the Mogadishu Mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink5
IMO, as a base level measurement tool, the 3 event APFT works. It’s not perfect but no program would be for every command or individual. For us, it won't measure other areas of concern such as an ability to hump a heavy ruck 20 miles as a timed event but, for events like that WE make our own standards because we have a higher standard than the rest of the Army.

Other training requirements such as swimming, weight training, or sprints in combat load should continue to be as directed from the individual Company or ODA PT programs, and or an individual’s personal program as needed.
Base level of what, fitness? I hardly believe that to be the case. It simply measures 3 events which are unrelated to combat, strength, or endurance.

my .02...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-05-2011 at 08:49.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:41   #10
Wolf07
Asset

There was a time, not too long ago, that I was not training with a combat oriented mindset. It has done a world of good to actually start training for the fight, rather than the test. It was thanks to sound advice found on this board that this change has happened.

Quote:
What ever happen to "squat jumps"?
LOVE EM! Alternate with sand sprints... surf n turf...
Old 02-05-2011, 22:14   #11
CSB
Quiet Professional

Don't confuse the "testing" part with the "training" part.

Those with gray hair will remember the FIVE event PT tests of old, with (depending on the particular year):

- The one mile run (in boots and fatigues).
- The hand grenade throw.
- The fireman carry.
- The low crawl.
- The inverted crawl (crab walk).
- The horizonal ladder (monkey bars).
- The "Run, Dodge & Jump."
- The push up.
- The sit up.
- The two mile run.

There were a number of problems that developed with the older PT test categories:

- The test did not demonstrate physical fitness, even thought it was a combat
skill (i.e., the hand grenade throw, which was for distance and accuracy).

- The test demonstrated a combat skill, but was detrimental to the health of the solder being tested: the fireman's carry, the low crawl.

- The test measured physical fitness and/or a combat skill, but was too
dependant on the individual fort/post/school facility equipment design:

= the run, dodge and jump ... Look in some of the older references, sometimes the ditch was lined with sandbags, other times it was cast in concrete, the soil around the barriers ranged from soft sand, to packed earth (with grooves to help push off), to grass.

= the horizonal ladder (some had rotating bars, some had fixed bars; some had thin bars, some had thick bars). In the summer, the bars could get too hot to touch; in the winter, your skin could freeze to the bar.

So the Army came up with a simple three part test that could be given anywhere in the world, at any school (including ROTC), at a training facility, even in a combat zone. It required no specific equipment, no facilities, just flat ground.

It's not perfect, but it is a valid test of general physical fitness.

Of course Special Forces / Ranger / etc. have additional requirements (such as the swim tests, or rucksack marches) unique to the needs of combat arms. But the APFT is designed to be universal, a lowest common denominator for physical testing of boths genders, in all MOS's.

Last edited by CSB; 02-05-2011 at 22:17.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 22:38   #12
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Base level of what, fitness? I hardly believe that to be the case. It simply measures 3 events which are unrelated to combat, strength, or endurance.
The APFT testing provides an Army wide standard for measuring fitness. This is not a substitute for higher goals or standards which a regular, balanced exercise program would provide, based upon the needs of the command.

It also provides a base level measurement tool which is a term I referred to it as. You have to start somewhere and build from there. For example, IET soldiers must meet the minimum is 50 points, for almost any other school its 60per event, for us its 80 per event. (or at least it used to be) Of course we add other requirements such as swimming, the nasty nick, the ability to endure selection and SFQC both physically and mentally so on and so on but, this goes well beyond a base level standard.

....jd

Thomas Jefferson

Vannevar Bush
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I'd like to see a 100 yard sprint followed by a 100 yard walk back to start (round trip, 600 ft.), repeated 10 times, (for 6,000 ft), in basic combat load, with a time threshold, percentage of current APFT standards, follwed by a 12 mile road march, then PU, SU and swim for time/distance.
The legionnaires use the beep test or Test de Luc-Léger. Sure is a good one for sprinting
(copy and paste) topendsports.com/testing/tests/20mshuttle.htm

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27   #14
ksboi
Asset

new pt

My feelings on the new pt is that is doing well with the people who have been in more then 15 years with the knee and joint injuries. We have seen a drop in 2mile run times. As for helping with pushups and situps just like everything else in life we still have to go out and do it on our own. It has changed things up and the lower enlisted seem to enjoy it more then running 6 miles but the
1SG still does have his own pt day and we usually run that far.
ksboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18   #15
TKim
Asset

New APFT may be near

Source: Associated Press via Wall Street Journal

Quote:
Army's New Fitness Tests Add Taste of Battlefield

FORT JACKSON, S.C. — Sit-ups don't make a soldier, the Army has decided. So its 30-year-old fitness requirements are getting a battlefield-inspired makeover.

Soon every soldier will have to run on a balance beam with two 30-pound canisters of ammunition, drag a sled weighted with 180 pounds of sandbags and vault over obstacles while carrying a rifle. Those were just some of the tests the Army unveiled Tuesday as it moves toward making its physical training look more like combat.

Wall Street Journal to read more.

Last edited by TKim; 03-02-2011 at 05:38.
TKim is offline   Reply With Quote