Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 21:52   #1
chilpyl
SF Candidate

Question Vibram Five Fingers allowed in SFAS?

Hello Gents,

Since being stationed at Fort Carson I have become a member of the VFF cult in the area. And, since buying these shoes I have fallen in love with them and what they have done for me. I am trying to translate the new running style into regular shoes to conform to my CO's standards on "conservative footwear" but am having a devil of a time.

So, on to the reason for my post. I will be starting a very intense training program in the next week or so for my pre-selection train up. And, back to the shoes, 75% of my training will be done in those shoes (the other 25% will be in boots). So, I wanted to find out if I should rotate regular shoes into my training or if anyone knew if these shoes would be allowed for use in selection. Now I understand that I'm not going to SFAS until May, so things may change before then. But if anyone on here was cadre at the schoolhouse or had heard some musings in the halls about the shoes I would grateful for the knowledge. Thank you for your time.

Chris
Old 01-03-2011, 22:21   #2
cmts58
Asset

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r670_1.pdf

"...and this is why we can't have nice things."
Old 01-03-2011, 22:37   #3
chilpyl
SF Candidate

Quoted from AR 670-1
"14–3. Accessories
a. Commanders may authorize the wear of commercial running shoes, calf-length or ankle-length, plain white socks with no logos, gloves, reflective belts or vests, long underwear, and other items appropriate to the weather conditions and type of activity. If soldiers wear long underwear or other similar items, they must conceal them from view with the hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants when wearing the PFU, or the running jacket and pants if wearing the IPFU"

I understand what AR 670-1 says, but I have read several stories of soldiers being told by their commands(myself included) that these shoes are not practical and are not running shoes. Or they go back to the coverall that they are "not conservative enough for use with the Army uniform". So should I call ahead and ask the commander of SFAS myself? Doubt it. Which is why I was hoping someone on here had encountered this previously. Thank you. Also, please do not take my comments as snarky, I should've put my understanding of the regs in my first post.
Old 01-03-2011, 22:44   #4
cmts58
Asset

Point taken. They seem faddish. In other threads, QP's have reccommended that one should wear the issue combat boots during SFAS. I'm sure the same ideology would apply to running shoes.

Old 01-03-2011, 23:08   #5
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmts58 View Post
Point taken. They seem faddish. In other threads, QP's have reccommended that one should wear the issue combat boots during SFAS. I'm sure the same ideology would apply to running shoes.
Just a "heads up," you should be leaving Q's in the "Special Forces Questions" section to the people who have BTDT. It's posted as a rule in the Stickies. Better duck 'n' cover before the TS shows up!
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
Old 01-03-2011, 23:19   #6
cmts58
Asset

Fire adjusted.

Old 01-03-2011, 23:58   #7
Matman
Quiet Professional

I would like to add a peice of advice for you from a guy whos BTDT. I will preface by saying I am now a big VFF fan for running. I ran a 1/2 marathon, and 10K in mine this fall and even placed well in both! However, from what I recall of SFAS, I would not want to have worn my VFF at any point regardless of the regulation. I brought a bad pair of running shoes and socks and paid dearly for it. My next investment was good running shoes (Salomons) and socks that were geared more toward trail running. I have used my VFF for trail running, but that was as a slow pace, and I really didn't gain anything from it but sore feet in the end. The type of running I recall from SFAS was far closer to trail running than road running (where I have found the VFFs pay off for me).

I do think that the VFF would help someone condition thier feet quicker mixed with rucking in the boots you plan on taking. I would set myself up for sucess in anyway possible and that includes training for the worst, and planning to make it as easy as possible whenever you can!

Hope that helps some!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilpyl View Post
...So, on to the reason for my post. I will be starting a very intense training program in the next week or so for my pre-selection train up. And, back to the shoes, 75% of my training will be done in those shoes (the other 25% will be in boots). So, I wanted to find out if I should rotate regular shoes into my training or if anyone knew if these shoes would be allowed for use in selection. Now I understand that I'm not going to SFAS until May, so things may change before then. But if anyone on here was cadre at the schoolhouse or had heard some musings in the halls about the shoes I would grateful for the knowledge. Thank you for your time.

Chris
First, VFF's are not acceptable footwear for SFAS.

Secondly, no less than 50% of your training should be spent under a ruck and in BOOTS not VFFs.

VFFs arent a one shoe fits all solution, different tools for different situations.

Hope this settles that.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilpyl View Post
Hello Gents,

Since being stationed at Fort Carson I have become a member of the VFF cult in the area. And, since buying these shoes I have fallen in love with them and what they have done for me. I am trying to translate the new running style into regular shoes to conform to my CO's standards on "conservative footwear" but am having a devil of a time.

So, on to the reason for my post. I will be starting a very intense training program in the next week or so for my pre-selection train up. And, back to the shoes, 75% of my training will be done in those shoes (the other 25% will be in boots). So, I wanted to find out if I should rotate regular shoes into my training or if anyone knew if these shoes would be allowed for use in selection. Now I understand that I'm not going to SFAS until May, so things may change before then. But if anyone on here was cadre at the schoolhouse or had heard some musings in the halls about the shoes I would grateful for the knowledge. Thank you for your time.

Chris
Have you read the packing list for SFAS?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09   #10
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Thank you TR.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14   #11
perdurabo
Guerrilla

I'm not a QP and know about as much about SFAS as anyone else who reads these forums and has seen "Two Weeks In Hell".

But, I know a lot about VFFs (especially my KSOs). I run on trail and off trail in them. They're not really suitable for anything beyond recreational trail running (yes, even at ultra distances).

Once you start having to worry about certain types of mud, wet wood, rocks and tree roots, they're going to hurt you, not help. I'm going to assume the cadre aren't going to let you take a breather and swap out footgear as necessary.

They offer virtually no toe protection (I cracked my big toe snagging it under a submerged tree root in a mud pit during a race). They aren't particularly durable, I have numerous duct tape wraps in areas where rock met fabric.

Don't get me wrong, VFFs are great. I like running with my feet in close contact to the ground, but they're not the be all, end all.

Don't gamble your SFAS chances by trying to be special, just use (un)conventional wisdom.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

BAC

Maybe chilpyl will have better luck at BAC with his VFFs .
Old 01-04-2011, 17:37   #13
JoelBlack
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Maybe chilpyl will have better luck at BAC with his VFFs .
VFF were being used when I went through BAC. I remember Recon guys using them especially. To bad they do not help in pushups.
Old 01-08-2011, 14:45   #14
chilpyl
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
First, VFF's are not acceptable footwear for SFAS.
Crip
Thank you, Crip. Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
TR
I hadn't thought to until you mentioned it. And, upon looking it only states running shoes. Although, I may be looking at an older edition. It was the most up to date one I could find with google-fu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
I would like to add a peice of advice for you from a guy whos BTDT. I will preface by saying I am now a big VFF fan for running. I ran a 1/2 marathon, and 10K in mine this fall and even placed well in both! However, from what I recall of SFAS, I would not want to have worn my VFF at any point regardless of the regulation. I brought a bad pair of running shoes and socks and paid dearly for it. My next investment was good running shoes (Salomons) and socks that were geared more toward trail running. I have used my VFF for trail running, but that was as a slow pace, and I really didn't gain anything from it but sore feet in the end. The type of running I recall from SFAS was far closer to trail running than road running (where I have found the VFFs pay off for me).
Thank you for your insight. That helps me out immensely.
Old 01-08-2011, 14:53   #15
11Ber
Quiet Professional

Just a thought but don't worry about minor things like "Can I wear... insert favorite item". I have told several people on here and I stick to it since it worked for me; buy Get Selected, read it front to back, digest it, and do the planned workout found in the book. Hell, do it twice. Get your paperwork in order, pack according to the packing list. I would say no more, no less but more socks and boots is always smart. Then get your personal life in order so you have no distractions and go beat the hell out of SFAS. Worrying about minor issues will only distract from the ultimate goal and hurt you in the long run.
Closed Thread