Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > KnuckleDragger Questions

Old 10-16-2010, 08:43   #1
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor

Is it a good idea to use a service like this to "Update" your Drivers and Manage your system??
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13   #2
Paslode
Area Commander

It would bother me that when selecting 'Purchase' you get a screen requesting personal information and no mention of a purchase price.

I am by no means a PC expert, but my experience with these type of tools is that don't perform as expected. And on a few occasion's getting the software off my PC was a real PITA.

Last edited by Paslode; 10-16-2010 at 09:16.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24   #3
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Registry Mechanic is all I've ever used. Easy to remove, doesn't "fix" or clean out too much, easy to use. No funny business when purchasing. Doesn't manage drivers yet it's a great cleaner.

IMHO, very highly recommended.
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
Is it a good idea to use a service like this to "Update" your Drivers and Manage your system??
I use MS WIN update in manual mode. I read most all the briefs on the update to see what is effected by the change.

It's a bit geeky, but if there is a problem after the installation, I can guess what the cause may be.

My avg, FoxFire, and several other security pgms have their own update process. Some are auto-daily while others will only check when used.

I use Ad-Aware and Spy-bot SD to alert when ANYONE tries to change ANYTHING in the register.

If you subscribe to a service to do updates, you have given the service pertinent data on your system configuration. Bad Bad Bad...

Net-Net,, I do not like any AUTO anything.. But them I have been in the geek business for 43 years...

For the non-geeks, I advise getting apple. Which are now all make in china with chinese designed & made wifi chips that send data to who-ever,, on your dime..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FOG-help-desk-frog.jpg (32.5 KB, 49 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 20:12   #5
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post

Net-Net,, I do not like any AUTO anything.. But them I have been in the geek business for 43 years...

Superb advice.

Wish I didn't learn about this the hard way in the old days ( Auto Win update for example ).
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 15:36   #6
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
No. Use Windows Update, Microsoft Update (You enable it and it "becomes" a "part" of Windows update. Updates Office and whatnot), and Microsoft Security Essentials (which is a top-ranked, free antivirus/antimalware package from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

Many of these 3rd party cleaner programs end up doing more harm than good.
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 14:30   #7
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
No. Use Windows Update, Microsoft Update (You enable it and it "becomes" a "part" of Windows update. Updates Office and whatnot), and Microsoft Security Essentials (which is a top-ranked, free antivirus/antimalware package from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

Many of these 3rd party cleaner programs end up doing more harm than good.

Agreed. If you are looking for driver updates and such, just directly download them from the manufacturer's website. I'd never trust a piece of software to do these things for me. Even if it's a reputable company, it's still another piece of software, with its own vulnerabilities, and I don't see how that can be a good thing.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote