Old 10-13-2010, 12:48   #1
Bennett
Quiet Professional

Austrian Winter JCET

Does anyone remember where we did our JCET training for the Austrian Winter JCET? Any of you have any pictures? While we are on the subject any pixs from Dombås Norway??
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 16:03   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

The course headquarters was in Saalfelden...we trained on a glacier near Stubai, as I recall...we also had a day of skiing on a glacier near Innsbruck...hell, it's been 28 years almost...just remembered...I turned 30 digging a snow cave in that course...LOL...

I remember the course well, though...we were kitted out in Austrian Army uniforms and were riding the bahn with civilians, including several American women...we were speaking German with our counterparts...the girls started making comments, in English, about Jerry M., our bergfuerher...they giggled and snickered and such...Jerry said something to one of our instructors and right before we got off the bahn, in heavily accented English, the Austrian NCO looked at one of them and said "Nice tits..." Jerry then apologized for his friend with his best Southern-accented English...

I have some pictures of Alpini School, used to have some of the Austrian Course, but I suspect those are on the ex-wife's dart board or in the Lyon County Landfill in Nevada...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 10-13-2010 at 16:08.
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 16:44   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Dombås Norway

I can try to look for some of Dombås Norway, but it will be in the late 90's.

Let me know.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06   #4
MVP
Quiet Professional

Dumb A**

I believe I have some photos of from Dumb A** from 85, 86, and 87, I'll try to check tonight. My team (021) did the WW thing in 85 and 87, it was great instruction for 1940... We ran the partisan course for the homeguard in 86. Had a different Tm Ldr and Tm Sgt each time. Both times we did the WW we had Tm Sgts that could spell ski, both came to Toelz from 5th to get their overseas tour. I have a vivid picture in my memory of MSG(P) M+++ hanging upside down from his skis held by two small trees, one on each side of a very small draw. There was a small run-off in the draw that was rapidly soaking him and everything on him to include the 100lbs of hvy weight shit he carried. Never forget his ruck made from two jungle ruck frames spliced together...

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:29   #5
MVP
Quiet Professional

Don,

Was this the JCET that preceeded the Tm Tech beating the crap out of the Tm Ldr while he was in a hosptial bed???

I later deployed with that guy as my Co. Cdr, real POS.

MVP
Old 11-30-2010, 13:18   #6
Bennett
Quiet Professional

CWT

I don't recall any of that Congressman. Speaking of 5th Groupers coming to 1/10 for their overseas tour, not wanting to be an Ausländerfeindlichkeit but for the most part they were a pain. I had one try to convince me to carry more water and less fuel during a FTX. He said he wanted to make sure the team didn’t become dehydrated during the movement? It really took a couple of us to convince him that we were surrounded by water and every meal we needed for the most part had to be heated to help keep our core temps up and so on. In the end he didn’t finish the infill movement, came down with hyperthermia, too much warmies and not enough layering, again not listening to the boys with a couple of WETs under the belt. Always entertaining during the downhill portion of alpine mobility training though.
De Oppresso Liber
Old 11-30-2010, 13:44   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Speaking of 5th Groupers coming to 1/10 for their overseas tour, not wanting to be an Ausländerfeindlichkeit but for the most part they were a pain... Always entertaining during the downhill portion of alpine mobility training though.
That said, I know of two refugees from 5th Group that became Bergfuhrers and several more that were very adept Winter Warfare instructors...we picked up a couple of guys from 3/7 for whatever reason...they were not loving Toelz...and ski season was probably the most dangerous thing we undertook each year...ah, yes...the Garland with rucksacks...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 16:05   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I just remembered this news paper I found while looking for a classmate. Might be of interest to this topic. The Berlin Observer, Feb 2, 1973.

"Berlin Brigade Ski Team readies for international ski competition"

It is a pdf image file and to big to upload. Any QP that wants a copy,, Let me know.

I converted a small chunk of the front page to a jpg..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg v29_N4_feb2s.jpg (118.3 KB, 44 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 15:46   #9
MVP
Quiet Professional

Ausländerfeindlichkeit

Speaking of foreigners, anyone remember the exercise where the Tm Ldr and Sr Medic were evacuated for eating poisonous berries
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51   #10
Bennett
Quiet Professional

Poison berries

Yep and we never let them forget it either.
De Oppresso Liber
Old 12-03-2010, 15:04   #11
MVP
Quiet Professional

Luau

Do they both get red berry lai's for the luau?